Denture Resets

R

Ryan Vick

Reaction score
I have an account that has a bite issue. Normally takes them a few different try ins to get the bite perfect. Obviously, I Do not include resets into my economy, standard, and premium denture packages. I charge $29 for one arch reset. So say I had a case that was a full upper/lower and it took doc 2-3 resets to get the bite right. Technically, I should be charging them $116-174 in just resets for that case.

How is everyone else dealing with this type of situation?

evanosu

evanosu

Reaction score
I think this is a very tricky situation and one that you may not handle the same each time. While I think it's good to have consistency, if you have a large account who sends you a lot of work, you might be willing to discount or eliminate the charges for resets. Or perhaps provide them with 2 resets at no charge. We rarely charge for resets unless it's the 3rd time and it's obviously not our fault. Otherwise the first reset we provide is normally free even on low-end dentures (I will charge for a remount),just another way to provide our clients with an 'added benefit'. You have to do what you feel is right based on your business model and your clients. But unless you're charging a whole lot for really high-end work, a dentist might not be pleased with $100+ in resets. You might want to reach out to them and determine what's a fair amount and if there's anything you can do to help assist them in reducing their resets and bite issues. I believe the average resets for dentures is almost 40%...good luck!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I have an account that has a bite issue. Normally takes them a few different try ins to get the bite perfect. Obviously, I Do not include resets into my economy, standard, and premium denture packages. I charge $29 for one arch reset. So say I had a case that was a full upper/lower and it took doc 2-3 resets to get the bite right. Technically, I should be charging them $116-174 in just resets for that case.

If he's the type to take suggestions well, see if you can get him to use a Gothic Arch kit on each case. Costs little up front comparatively, and gives much better results.

R

Ryan Vick

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the input! He is my highest volume account for sure and my plan was to not charge for the first one and possibly second depending on the case. I just wanted to see what others were doing so I don't feel like Im getting the short end of the stick here haha. Thanks again! And the last place I worked they had most doctors use the gothic arch and I have seen it in use and it is a great tool!

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
New bite, new fee...not my business to shoulder clinical liability. And by the way, that's a full reset fee not some discounted rate.
You get your point across better with a pinch in the ass, than a pat on the head!

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
We charge $60 per re-set. Just had one that was reset 4 times , $240 extra. Dont forget you have pick up, delivery each time plus labout cost for both re articulation and reset. Dont give your time away. We are not the clinicians.

M

Makes Dentures

Reaction score
.... and "self employed" denture technicians wonder why they make less than minimum wage when they do a time/cost analysis... If you spent that FREE or DISCOUNTED reset time that it takes you to pick up, disinfect, remount, reset, repack and deliver the reset(s) cultivating a new account or 2 maybe that account wouldn't actually lose you money to keep. And the race to the bottom continues....

Last edited:
Toothgnome

Toothgnome

Reaction score

We allow 1 reset at no charge then charge $25 for each subsequent reset. I also try to educate them on "how" to record centric relation and VDO. There are some excellent youtube videos out there.

R

Ryan Vick

Reaction score
We charge $60 per re-set. Just had one that was reset 4 times , $240 extra. Dont forget you have pick up, delivery each time plus labout cost for both re articulation and reset. Dont give your time away. We are not the clinicians.

For sure and thats why Im on the fence on what to do. It isnt an account right here and town either so there is quite of few miles to pick up and drop off. And yes, its just about $60 for full upper/lower for me too. Just curious, Have any doctors had a problem with the extra charges or do most of them understand?

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
To me, It's really not about if or how much you charge for the reset. It's about helping the dentist to get it right the first time. If you can achieve this you become the trusted advisor, developing a much more collaborative relationship that will make it really difficult for the customer to go anywhere else. In addition, I believe docs are willing to pay more for this type of partnership. Lastly, helping them helps you and the patient. Less chair time is a good thing for all involved.
Merry Christmas:)

G

gallagerdental

Reaction score
I try to help advising Drs. To Take accurate bites. When it comes down to it, first one is on me, anything after it is on them. Example- I recently suggested to Dr. To change triple tray trays for C&B (to weak, to much flex). He chose to continue using same trays, I then started to charge for all remakes. That's his choice, not my burden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I try to help advising Drs. To Take accurate bites. When it comes down to it, first one is on me, anything after it is on them. Example- I recently suggested to Dr. To change triple tray trays for C&B (to weak, to much flex). He chose to continue using same trays, I then started to charge for all remakes. That's his choice, not my burden.

How often do you find yourself doing that first free reset?
I like the style you have with suggest and charge, aloows them the opportunity, and explains why their bill goes up simultaneously.

G

gallagerdental

Reaction score
Hi JMN- I'd say about 20-25 +/- percent on average. What I've found it weeds out the reset artists, what's left is the the guys that really try. Let's be fair, we all know that a lot of things can happen at bite/try-in appointments. ( at one point in my life I worked side by side with a Dr. And I can appreciate what the Dr. Has to deal with). That being said I try to work with Dr. To overcome problems as much as possible.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hi JMN- I'd say about 20-25 +/- percent on average. What I've found it weeds out the reset artists, what's left is the the guys that really try. Let's be fair, we all know that a lot of things can happen at bite/try-in appointments. ( at one point in my life I worked side by side with a Dr. And I can appreciate what the Dr. Has to deal with). That being said I try to work with Dr. To overcome problems as much as possible.

Greetings and thanks! We've a few here that are normal to do 2, and 3 or even 4 resets are not totally unexpected.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Greetings and thanks! We've a few here that are normal to do 2, and 3 or even 4 resets are not totally unexpected.
Got a bunch of those. But a midsize lab is a bigger numbers game.
I struggle a lot with the notion that I work at 100% to produce quality with a clinic that wastes that effort multiple times.