What was your experience going model-free with exocad?

S

sensei

Reaction score
Just trying to get a feel for how hard it would be to start doing some full contour model-free crowns from chairside (trios) scans. We will be using exocad. Is it going to be painful? Is it worth it?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
exocad or otherwise doesnt matter. there will be a learning curve for you and the Dr.
my suggestion, continue with standard impressions while you and a close Dr work together to nail down fit, contacts, occlusion, etc.
THEN try to do it model free. and then and only then expand it to others.

thats me though. follow up with us if you go this route!

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I think a check model makes all the sense in the world.

Too many times the clients are not managing adjacent contacts (squaring them up) and this will lead to point contacts that often are harder to have success on.

I have had mixed results lately going modeless for SOME clients

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I think a check model makes all the sense in the world.

Too many times the clients are not managing adjacent contacts (squaring them up) and this will lead to point contacts that often are harder to have success on.

I have had mixed results lately going modeless for SOME clients
it only makes sense until you figure out how heavy and long term the temps are. once thats figured u can stop models.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
it only makes sense until you figure out how heavy and long term the temps are. once thats figured u can stop models.

I disagree,

Our normal protocol with any new IOS client is to do 20 crowns to dial things in before going or even allowing model free restoration. If they want to save the money and go model free I give them the option on how we set up their contact settings. Since the cost to ship a contact in and out is outrageous compared to the cost of a printed model I start charging to repair contacts model free. This motivates them to listen.

Obviously this applies to AVERAGE clients not the perfectionist that gives me everything I could hope for. Our restorations digitally go from the crown box to the mouth seated and adjusted if necessary in 5 min or less. I have not had as predictable results modeless, its about 60% perfect but its that 40% that I can not improve.

I can make contacts snug to large so they have something to adjust in if necessary but once you client is used to drop ins with little to no adjustments they will not accept this.

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
IMO and I'm sure many others, it completely depends on you and your doctors' working together. Ive done many of these types of cases this year, but I've been lucky enough to have a great relationship with the doctor that's been sending me the scans. We've done singles, 3-4 unit bridges, and screw retained crowns. By the way this is all posterior work, we will print a model for anything anterior. I will say, the contacts can be a little tight sometimes but he tells me its just one quick swipe and they drop right in. Occlusion, he says, has always been spot on.