Identica Blue VS Degree of Freedom Scanners?

• Thread starter Nu Technologies
  • Start date

Identica Blue VS Degree of Freedom

• Identica Blue

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Degree of Freedom

Votes: 33 47.8%

• Total voters
Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
With that limited range of motion how do you scan undercuts?
Missing_scan_data.png

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
No need to bash DOF, you have a good product. Most undercuts are easily scanned, as I think you know.
The angle isn't a flat 90 degrees, but more like position 3. Anything more I've yet to find a need for.
upload_2016-12-15_21-30-11.png

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Not bashing Gru, just asking. So the missing data is filled in with the software?

O

oscarpark

Reaction score
i have dof freedom hd and i have never thought dof cannot scan undercuts if you compare it with other scanners
actually i am pretty happy with performance so far

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Every mechanism has its advantages and disadvantages. The mechanism illustrated in the video touts the benefit of fixture free scanning. The object to be scanned is stationary and the scan module moves in an arc over the object to scan it. The downside of this design is the limited range of motion. If the object is small and has undercuts (an abutment for example ) then the scanner will not be able to capture data because it can't rotate under the scan target. To compensate for this missing data the scan software will fill in the missing geometry with a best guess based on the surrounding geometry. The result is data that is not accurate in critical areas like the margin of the abutment.

Gru, in your illustration above you took liberties with the range of movement. The axis of rotation does not move as shown in your illustration. The range of motion is controlled by the gear and the center of rotation. I am not trying to bash but I am pointing out that each design has strengths and weaknesses. If you have the product and it fits your needs then all is well. If someone is shopping for a scanner then they should know the advantages and disadvantages of the design.
Limited Range of Motion.png
Range of motion and scan target.png
Short Margin.png

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Glenn, you have obviously not used a DOF HD.
I scan abutments daily and the milled crowns fit like a glove. There is no missing data especially on something as easy to scan as a single abutment.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Someone should certainly be able to do a scan like this and grab a screen shot of the mesh without the virtual skin. If its missing data, there would be no points or triangles in the missing area. No?

user name

user name

Reaction score
The missing data that most concerns me is between my ears.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Gru, in your illustration above you took liberties with the range of movement. The axis of rotation does not move as shown in your illustration. The range of motion is controlled by the gear and the center of rotation. I am not trying to bash but I am pointing out that each design has strengths and weaknesses. If you have the product and it fits your needs then all is well. If someone is shopping for a scanner then they should know the advantages and disadvantages of the design.

No, Glenn, I did not take liberties with the range of movement. The gear clearly does allow the position as you can see below. The scan module goes BELOW 90 degrees on my unit.
upload_2016-12-16_18-3-31.png

Attachments

• DOF projector arm angle.jpg
    DOF projector arm angle.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 25
  • DOF projector arm angle.jpg
    DOF projector arm angle.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 24
Gru

Gru

Reaction score
So true. Man I love Korean engineering though. Modular and simple. Not only on this unit, but many other things I've dissected.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
So true. Man I love Korean engineering though. Modular and simple. Not only on this unit, but many other things I've dissected.
Like a kimchee jar?

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
sorry Glenn never heard so much BS show us a scan with the hybrid with such hard angle we show you one with the hd no childish pics but i dont think you do !!!! we can scan the same model and compare no fear just hard facts , no sales stories hard facts .I think the Bego engeneers know why they choose Roeder HSC RD 5 , EOS 270 and the other ones and not Rola... and M..it. I am ready for a competition.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Like a kimchee jar?
Nah, can't stand it, but my Korean exchange students are nuts about it!

sorry Glenn never heard so much BS show us a scan with the hybrid with such hard angle we show you one with the hd no childish pics but i dont think you do !!!! we can scan the same model and compare no fear just hard facts , no sales stories hard facts .I think the Bego engeneers know why they choose Roeder HSC RD 5 , EOS 270 and the other ones and not Rola... and M..it. I am ready for a competition.

C'mon, be nice to Glenn! He's one of the good guys.
I only responded because I pride myself in being accurate in what I say- when I screw up, I'll admit it. It's all good.
It's a mountain out of a mole hill. The Medit's a great scanner and was one of the only two I seriously considered.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Nah, can't stand it, but my Korean exchange students are nuts about it!

C'mon, be nice to Glenn! He's one of the good guys.
I only responded because I pride myself in being accurate in what I say- when I screw up, I'll admit it. It's all good.
It's a mountain out of a mole hill. The Medit's a great scanner and was one of the only two I seriously considered.
So Gru, tell us why you decided on DOF rather than Medit? I like Glenn, but sales BS is sales BS and there really is no place for it on a technical site.