A interesting E.max question?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Had a Doc call me today, the majority of his restorations are e.max. He's had to go in at a later date (sometimes a couple years later) and do a root canal. What he's found is that when he cuts an access hole for the Root Canal Therapy into the e.max crown, he is creating a micro fracture and ends up having to replace the crown. Any suggestions on a bur, or a technique he could do to avoid this?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
If it's from a digital file, he could just pay the lab guy to make another one so it's ready to seat. Then he could cut off the crown, do the perio and cement a new crown without an access hole in it. Increase the root canal fee to capture the expense.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
This is one disadvantage of any monolithic restoration unless it's gold.

Another approach would be a pfz since the zir would be thinner.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
emax doesnt like heat. Slow and lots of water.

That's what I suggested, was slow it down, plenty of water. I do like the suggestion of offering a crown (since we do scan everything) in cases like this from the old file.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
That's what I suggested, was slow it down, plenty of water. I do like the suggestion of offering a crown (since we do scan everything) in cases like this from the old file.
Does he, or she, bond them?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
At the least, the doc could offer that to the patient for the lab cost of the crown. Options, what every (most) Americans want.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Cements - RelyX luting I believe
That would help with the 2 crown scenario.
I wonder if they would be less apt to fracture if they were bonded rather than cemented?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
You can always put a hole in all your crowns. Maybe 2th can show you how to do it.:cool:

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
That would help with the 2 crown scenario.
I wonder if they would be less apt to fracture if they were bonded rather than cemented?
OH i'm sure they would be less resistant, but how much, not sure and whether it would be significant, not sure either. The problem with bonding, is isolation, gotta have it.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Not only slow it down with lots of water, but new diamond and light pressure. Saves the diamond and crown. If he sees a spark/ flash, it's done.

M

MasterCeramist

Reaction score
Tell him to use a fine grit diamond also go slow let the bur do the work with lots of water.

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
It might be interesting to note if the GC Lisi is any easier to grind through.

Maybe you can experiment with a highspeed?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Grinding on LiSa?

Yes exactly.

Didn't know this was your thing guys. Here y'go, grind yer drives.

300px-Apple_Lisa.jpg

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Endodontists have the heaviest hands in dentistry in my opinion, their goal is not to save a restoration but to save a tooth.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Endodontists have the heaviest hands in dentistry in my opinion, their goal is not to save a restoration but to save a tooth.
Thanks for the view adjustment. Had never thought of it that way.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score

Fair enough. With this knowledge the dental lab's goal should be to not pay for the replacement that was destroyed through no fault of their own!