Working with iTero scans

user name

user name

Reaction score
I was told by iTero last week that I do not have access to scan files as an external lab.
You only don't have the ability to modify the scans at the external level. You most certainly have access to the scans to do the designs. You are having some communication errors with iTero. I suggest you ask again.

You do have access to the scans at all 3 levels of participation. That's what its for.

If you don't have access, then the Doctor didn't pay the fee on your behalf; he paid it for himself and is having the models sent to you. If it was paid for you, then as a external lab partner, Aligntech will install their viewer software and portal on your computer. If you don't have it, your not a partner.

I should also ask...did you go through training with iTero? That's included with every level of partnership.

Last edited:
Restorationlab

Restorationlab

Reaction score
I will call them back and ask the question another way. Thanks for the suggestion!

Restorationlab

Restorationlab

Reaction score
I did not go through any training. Maybe the dr paid for herself as you suggest. This happened about 8 years ago when I started working with this dentist. Details are faded but I did get the two articulators. At that time I was unfamiliar with iTero or any other scan system. I had my CEREC scan and mill system at that time so the iTero scans would not mesh.

I will call them and get clarification! Thanks for your imput.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I was told by iTero last week that I do not have access to scan files as an external lab.

That is correct at the "external lab" level.

Basically, here are your options. You can be a:

1. External Lab. Costs $300. You pay shipping and handling of models. No ability to mark margins, or get STL file, and you are charged $5 for shipping and handling. Base case fee for a quadrant is $23.

2. Partner Lab-On Line. Costs $3000. You have Itero Viewer Software and on line Access. $5 shipping and handling on models. $5 STL fee. Base case quadrant is $21.

3. Itero Lab Cad Station and Lab Software. Costs $7500. Base case quadrant $18. No shipping charges and no STL fees. Can edit margins.

These fees could have changed since the info I got is pretty old. Could be cheaper...but I doubt it.

user name

user name

Reaction score
That is correct at the "external lab" level.

Basically, here are your options. You can be a:

1. External Lab. Costs $300. You pay shipping and handling of models. No ability to mark margins, or get STL file, and you are charged $5 for shipping and handling. Base case fee for a quadrant is $23.

2. Partner Lab-On Line. Costs $3000. You have Itero Viewer Software and on line Access. $5 shipping and handling on models. $5 STL fee. Base case quadrant is $21.

3. Itero Lab Cad Station and Lab Software. Costs $7500. Base case quadrant $18. No shipping charges and no STL fees. Can edit margins.

These fees could have changed since the info I got is pretty old. Could be cheaper...but I doubt it.
So at the lowest level, you pay iTero 300 dollars and you cant get scans to design crowns? (I don't think so)

And yes, prices are lower. Much lower.

doug

doug

Reaction score
I've had itero for about 5 years, I think. Paid $5000.00 so I could facilitate Straumann implants as you had to be a "top Dog" to do it. My docs don't really use the scanner much and I don't use Straumann for abutments, but I'm ready, ready, ready if the time comes.

Edit for more info. you can't adjust the bite registration in itero if it's wrong, nor can you in the Straumann DW software I used to use, but you can in Exocad.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I've had itero for about 5 years, I think. Paid $5000.00 so I could facilitate Straumann implants as you had to be a "top Dog" to do it. My docs don't really use the scanner much and I don't use Straumann for abutments, but I'm ready, ready, ready if the time comes.

Edit for more info. you can't adjust the bite registration in itero if it's wrong, nor can you in the Straumann DW software I used to use, but you can in Exocad.

You're right about the Itero adjustment option, but now you can adjust it in the scan field. We used to be able to do it in the CAD field but they switched it for some reason.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Is the scan field part of the docs software? They barely look at what they've done when scanning. After they scan the preps they let the asst do the rest and send it

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
You only don't have the ability to modify the scans at the external level. You most certainly have access to the scans to do the designs. You are having some communication errors with iTero. I suggest you ask again.

You do have access to the scans at all 3 levels of participation. That's what its for.

If you don't have access, then the Doctor didn't pay the fee on your behalf; he paid it for himself and is having the models sent to you. If it was paid for you, then as a external lab partner, Aligntech will install their viewer software and portal on your computer. If you don't have it, your not a partner.

I should also ask...did you go through training with iTero? That's included with every level of partnership.
all of my dealings with itero have lead to communication issues with them lol. is anyone there English speaking as a primary language?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
@user name or anyone....if the prices are lower now, do you have those tiers and pricing?

everything I get from them is so damn confusing (non English speakers doesn't help) that I cant make heads or tails of the details.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Is the scan field part of the docs software? They barely look at what they've done when scanning. After they scan the preps they let the asst do the rest and send it

No, I'm referring to the DW software I use. Overall, the accounts I work for do a pretty good job with the bite scans. I always ask for a blue mousse as a backup especially on the larger cases. Of course then I have to remount and scan the models with the new bite. I've always been a little reluctant to adjust bites in the software.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
No, I'm referring to the DW software I use. Overall, the accounts I work for do a pretty good job with the bite scans. I always ask for a blue mousse as a backup especially on the larger cases. Of course then I have to remount and scan the models with the new bite. I've always been a little reluctant to adjust bites in the software.
whats stopping you from making the leap to model free?

user name

user name

Reaction score
@user name or anyone....if the prices are lower now, do you have those tiers and pricing?

everything I get from them is so damn confusing (non English speakers doesn't help) that I cant make heads or tails of the details.
I shot a note to iTero...this is the response:

Lowest level is external and the model fee would be $30 ($23 for model, $2 for die and $5 for shipping). The $1995 model provides only a $2 discount on the model, making it $28 dollars, plus there is a $5 export fee to transfer it to exocad. Full partner waives the shipping and charges $18 for the model, making it $10 less than the external pricing….there’s also no export fee.

If you’re doing modeless, then the $1995 option is the probably best bet, but you won’t have margin changing capabilities on our software. You can always change things in exocad if necessary. Also, you do have the $5 export charge issue, but it is rarely billed…but that could change. Even if the $5 fee is charged it would take 600 cases to make up for the $3000 difference in price.

contract.PNG contract2.PNG

user name

user name

Reaction score

שלה מועיל אם אתה יכול לדבר עברית

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I shot a note to iTero...this is the response:

Lowest level is external and the model fee would be $30 ($23 for model, $2 for die and $5 for shipping). The $1995 model provides only a $2 discount on the model, making it $28 dollars, plus there is a $5 export fee to transfer it to exocad. Full partner waives the shipping and charges $18 for the model, making it $10 less than the external pricing….there’s also no export fee.

If you’re doing modeless, then the $1995 option is the probably best bet, but you won’t have margin changing capabilities on our software. You can always change things in exocad if necessary. Also, you do have the $5 export charge issue, but it is rarely billed…but that could change. Even if the $5 fee is charged it would take 600 cases to make up for the $3000 difference in price.

View attachment 23905 View attachment 23906
man these seem like stupid high prices....however that's the most comprehensive layout of the details ive been able to get my hands on. thanks bud!

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
whats stopping you from making the leap to model free?

Well, as I mentioned above, sometimes the bites aren't correct from the Doctor's scan. At that point you can try and manipulate the bite scan or get models and reset the bite using the blue mousse. I prefer the blue mousse option.

Also, my CAD skills, or maybe it's the size of the image on the monitor, always leaves me wondering about the contours. Sometimes when I get the case back and I place the crown on the model, I can't believe I left a cusp like this or that or the lingual bulked out too far maybe.

One other reason is sometimes it seems like the crown's contacts on the models are open. But on the computer they are in. Now I'm not sure if that is a result of sintering variables or milling variables.

I have dialed in my settings pretty good, but I still see this from time to time. Dontknow

The only other reasons I can think of is I'm old and stubborn.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Well, as I mentioned above, sometimes the bites aren't correct from the Doctor's scan. At that point you can try and manipulate the bite scan or get models and reset the bite using the blue mousse. I prefer the blue mousse option.

Also, my CAD skills, or maybe it's the size of the image on the monitor, always leaves me wondering about the contours. Sometimes when I get the case back and I place the crown on the model, I can't believe I left a cusp like this or that or the lingual bulked out too far maybe.

One other reason is sometimes it seems like the crown's contacts on the models are open. But on the computer they are in. Now I'm not sure if that is a result of sintering variables or milling variables.

I have dialed in my settings pretty good, but I still see this from time to time. Dontknow

I feel you on all points. we have yet to make that step as well.....though one day I do want to take the plunge! thanks for the input

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score

I will always use a model whenever possible.