Gold basket crowns

G

GarryB

Reaction score
Ok, I've been asked by one of our dentist to make a couple of upper central yellow gold basket crowns.

http://www.nature.com/bdj/journal/v216/n8/full/sj.bdj.2014.297.html

Above are examples of such.

I have a pre opp model.

Any ideas on how to proceed or anyone ever made any of these before?

The dentist said he will prep to my recommendation.

It's not the waxup, but how I'm going to get the waxup off the prep without breaking because of the POI.

His idea is to leave a window of un prepped enamel in the middle of the tooth and cut a prepared area around that.

In the pics from the link above, they look to me like no prep and just wax up over the top but I was hoping for a more refined look.

Any ideas?

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you simply make a raised frame and fuse porcelain in the center?
Wax it full contour, then reduce the center portion, cast it, fire porcelain, piece of cake.
Why make it harder than it needs to be?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
How about a gold basket veneer. Pour in refractory and wax and cast directly to it.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
BASKET PREP.png

im going to go ahead and say parallelism is going to be key here. otherwise it wont seal and as per the linked page, pt will be inevitably extracting due to perio.

G

GarryB

Reaction score
Wow that was quick!!.....thank you.

All good points:

Rob, that was my first thought but he insists the patient wants to keep the front natural enamel.....why I've no idea but that's what he wants.

2thm8kr and Luke, yours are kind of linked. Good idea with making a refractory model and casting but I see how I can make it that way it's just with the prep undercut, how he is going to fit it. Luke......I like your diagram.....diagrams are always good!! and you are right about parallelism, I'm just not sure he can get everything parallel.

I'm going to have a mess around with it tomorrow but any ideas are warmly received.

Have a great weekend all

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
making a refractory model and casting but I see how I can make it that way it's just with the prep undercut
2 separate veneers facial and lingual if it must represent a crown. The article only mentions facial coverage so the POI would be from the facial. Either way they have to come out better than the examples in that article.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
l can understand that someone might want to copy the look, I can't understand why any dentist would want to copy some failed backwater Amazonian technique.
But, what the hell do I know.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
l can understand that someone might want to copy the look, I can't understand why any dentist would want to copy some failed backwater Amazonian technique.
But, what the hell do I know.
Yours is not to question why, but just fill the prescription already. Backwoods or not.

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
Before I say anything else...yes, I am Mexican as most of you know. Anyways, the ONLY people I EVER see with
this "style" of crown are Mexicans from Mexico. My opinion is these look terrible.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
IF this was only prepped on the facial, would it be any different than a veneer?
very different i think. veneers can be so shallow and can wrap around 3axis without much open sealing. full coverage crowns can't. 3/4 crowns can't.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
very different i think. veneers can be so shallow and can wrap around 3axis without much open sealing. full coverage crowns can't. 3/4 crowns can't.
"Basket crowns are placed on anterior teeth, either on single (Fig. 1) or multiple teeth (Fig. 2). The term 'basket' arises from the fact that unlike conventional crowns where full coverage is adopted, they possess a window, which exposes most of the labial surface of the underlying abutment. This leaves a decorative border of gold around the tooth."

This could easily be prepped on the facial with a minor overlap on the incisal edge. I'd be happy to prep one of you teeth for an example.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
IF this was only prepped on the facial, would it be any different than a veneer?
Isn't he talking about the reverse of that? Like a lingual veneer?