what to pay starting denturist?

SmileRX

SmileRX

Reaction score
Hi everybody, and thanks in advance!

I run a small lab near Portland, OR that is expanding to include removables in the near future. I am thinking of taking on a denturist-in-training for his externship and probable future hire.

What compensation would you recommend for the externship? And what would you offer a brand new denturist, just out of school?

Thank you.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Hi everybody, and thanks in advance!

I run a small lab near Portland, OR that is expanding to include removables in the near future. I am thinking of taking on a denturist-in-training for his externship and probable future hire.

What compensation would you recommend for the externship? And what would you offer a brand new denturist, just out of school?

Thank you.
depends upon what your school teaches.
the ones here know the basics...and very crude basics at that. mainly some terminology. the prob is they do these classes super fast and let them try a little of everything instead of teaching them a good bulk knowledge gradually over time.

SmileRX

SmileRX

Reaction score
It's a two year program, fully hands on. They have to actually create quite a few dentures.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
It's a two year program, fully hands on. They have to actually create quite a few dentures.
I've seen a number of them in recent years.
I'd make certain skill level was appropriate, because quite a few seem to have zero fabrication skills.
Speaking as a Portland tech...

D

dborla01

Reaction score
If I am reading your post correctly, Smile RX: check with the Oregon State Denturist Association, as to what the minimally required amt. is to pay a licensed Denturist....I think it is $15.00 per hour. A licensed Denturist however, can make much more money working for Kaiser.
Also if that LD starts seeing Pt.'s. Smile RX, he will be obligated to tell YOU how he wants the work done, not the other way around, since he, as well as any Dentist, is obligated to the Pt., AND the Health Licensing Agency, not to your interpretation of how to fabricate removable prosthesis'.
PS...for Kcdt's information and others who are interested, Denturist's are held to standards at least as high as Dentists are.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
If I am reading your post correctly, Smile RX: check with the Oregon State Denturist Association, as to what the minimally required amt. is to pay a licensed Denturist....I think it is $15.00 per hour. A licensed Denturist however, can make much more money working for Kaiser.
Also if that LD starts seeing Pt.'s. Smile RX, he will be obligated to tell YOU how he wants the work done, not the other way around, since he, as well as any Dentist, is obligated to the Pt., AND the Health Licensing Agency, not to your interpretation of how to fabricate removable prosthesis'.
PS...for Kcdt's information and others who are interested, Denturist's are held to standards at least as high as Dentists are.
At least as high as dentists are...
That's truer than you realize.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
$12 (maybe $10) per hour and a percentage of the sales. Also remember you will be teaching him or her a lot about dentures and that person will probably move on to something better after they soak up all your knowledge.

D

dborla01

Reaction score
Smile RX....Sorry if my past post appeared a bit "harsh". In this modern society, unlike that of 30 years ago and more, trouble-prone people are quick to blame health care professionals' etc., when we are doing the best we can, given the domain we are working in/on.Banghead..LOL. Please let us know the outcome of your search. :) PS...I should include more of these smilies...

SmileRX

SmileRX

Reaction score
Smile RX....Sorry if my past post appeared a bit "harsh". In this modern society, unlike that of 30 years ago and more, trouble-prone people are quick to blame health care professionals' etc., when we are doing the best we can, given the domain we are working in/on.Banghead..LOL. Please let us know the outcome of your search. :) PS...I should include more of these smilies...

Not at all. It was valuable advice, and I will update everyone after I hire. :D

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
40 K per year to start.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
depends upon what your school teaches.
the ones here know the basics...and very crude basics at that. mainly some terminology. the prob is they do these classes super fast and let them try a little of everything instead of teaching them a good bulk knowledge gradually over time.
You may need a fully licensed denturist to supervise the intern untill he is fully licensed. Even then he w should be working under a seasoned denturist for about four or five years before going it alone.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
You may need a fully licensed denturist to supervise the intern untill he is fully licensed. Even then he w should be working under a seasoned denturist for about four or five years before going it alone.
that varies by state. it's not needed in all states.
a random starting number of $40k/yr is also arbitrary and will vary by region. 40k in Indiana might be great, but in NYC you cannot live on 40k

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
that varies by state. it's not needed in all states.
a random starting number of $40k/yr is also arbitrary and will vary by region. 40k in Indiana might be great, but in NYC you cannot live on 40k
I was referring to Portland Oregon..Naturally it needs to be tweeked for each economic region...

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Lets not forget that any brand new denturist from out of school will only have limited knowledge in completing case works...Its the case works that present trouble that are going to be a challenge and likely to start you will be getting a lot of those....Up here they don't last too long before they are off into their own clinic anyways. If your business model only hires newly graduated denturists then they might be able to follow a prescribed protocol.....And you will need to invest heavily in equipment such as chairs office space, computer equipment for pre-authorizations along with the software...and on and on and on. But running your whole thing on freshly graduated denturists is not the best business plan....One company does that up here and they are continuously looking for new graduates.....Add to that when your doctor clients find out that you hire denturists they may look elsewhere for thier labwork.

highscore

highscore

Reaction score
Hiring a student, let alone paying them to learn can cost you money. Money in remakes, lost time, and materials. You train them, pay them, and then they will likely set up a shop down the road from you. I have been there, done that and it always ends up the same.
Student gets their training in your lab, sets up down the street. It's your choice.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Hiring a student, let alone paying them to learn can cost you money. Money in remakes, lost time, and materials. You train them, pay them, and then they will likely set up a shop down the road from you. I have been there, done that and it always ends up the same.
Student gets their training in your lab, sets up down the street. It's your choice.
I agree fully...then start with a new recruit all over again...

S

slotboom.f

Reaction score
I only see a dollar amount relation here and fear of the pain someone start working elsewhere if he or she eventually gets a license to start working for themselves. To me that sounds like a self fulfilling prophecy of the outcome.
First of all this person (denturist) seems like a person who would have a lot more options after graduation which probably needs a different perspective in terms of relationship.
My suggestion would be to start thinking outside the box and first determine what you want to have as an outcome for your situation.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Top Bottom