CDT DTG

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
my skills are stifled by both my ceramists and company directive. but its a place i wanted to get into, so eh.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
The presidents of most all companies are on FB along with all major Drs that lecture and the heads and board members of dental associations.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
CHL (TSC) (DLN HOF)

M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
The thing about FB is there are thousands of Drs that regularly visit there.
I have gotten so many cases from Drs there from all over. Heck that's how I got work from the pros depts from two major universities. The residents hang out there
Drs rarely come here to these forums

Same deal I see at courses or meetings.
Dumb ass techs huddle together rather than socialize with the ones that feed them.

And when it comes to DTG. Docs know it is a gathering of talent and so many docs go there regularly looking for labs you would be supprised.
Docs rarely go to associations looking for CDTs to work with.
Be pissed off all you want but it goes way beyond a "club" or page.
AACD and Pankey and Hinmam have all come to Von looking for talent to present to them along with several major manufactors always calling for us to do presentations and table clinics and endorse and test their products.

I have witnessed several average techs with potential just blossom over a couple of years and now in demand from several companies and picking up new Drs from all over.
So piss and moan all you want and stay obscure in your corner only person hurt is yourself.
Last month 2 major companies contacted us wanting to know if anybody wanted to work with them on some products.
Several put their names in the hat.

I didn't realize things had changed that much. About 1/2 or more of my continuing ed is from Drs meetings and I did finally had to get a business card printed a couple of years ago as a Dr asked for one.

But there is a bigger exposure FB etc. that I wasn't aware of, as one of my major accounts is going to be retiring soon. Good work, excellent service references by word of mouth have always worked in the past, but maybe I need to be one of those ones to not be so obscure, or at least be more aware of what's going on.

You may be a bit passionate at times Al, but you do bring up some really good points let alone your amazing work.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Funny how things change Dimi (Greek god)
Now I learn from you !
And I'm honored you tag me in all your cases even though I never comment
Dude I really don't know how to reply to you , I am blown away !! I am tagging you because I have the outmost respect for your work , and even more for you after meeting you in person at the IDS !! Thanks for all your advice and inspiration all those years !

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
John Wilson is Awesome !

He posts some real passion on our site.Yes it is digital but he reflects the enthusiasm we have when the dentist and technician are on the same page.
That is what I like about the Trios study Club. It is much different than the 3 Shape Group.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Pissing and moaning? I have said several times that Ive tried to be a part of whats going on at DTG, but would not be accepted.. I know my place, Im not a high-end tech, but Ive achieved many of my personal goals thanks to DLN members *Al, John, Tomz,, including getting into removables, as a one man lab, and last year I did just under 30 arches.. I charge more than I ever have, and last year I made more money than I ever have. I dont do it to post online, or get likes, but to feed my family. We all want to improve our craft.. its why I spend every day on this forum. Im perfectly fine being obscure and until I get accepted to a DTG page, all I can do is look at pictures, which is fine with me.

To say there is no passion on this forum is ignorant and an insult.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
You know I think Dental Town has changed. Seeing more and more Docs looking for really cheap crowns.
Not seeing value in their labs.
Didn't used to be that way.

I've gotten into some drawn out debates on a couple of threads.
Seeing Docs looking for crowns in the $70 price range and looking for "quality" crowns in the low $100 range.
They now consider $200 high end work.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
If they only had an idea of how much time goes into highly detailed work. They all think they want it and believe that they are capable of producing what a tech needs to deliver that level of restoration.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Quality at 100, and high end at 200. That's nuts. So what's going to happen, fewer and fewer Drs are going to realize the difference or at least want to acknowledge the difference? And with translucent zirconas only (will only) getting better, is this industry doomed to become leveled by that, those restorations?

I have a Dr who I remade a anterior case for him. He tried to do it in Cerec. The shape and form were off, the midline was off, and the margins were bulky. He realized my work was going to be better, but it just made me shake my head and think that he even tried to do a more complicated case like that. It's like the mindset of "I'll attempt to do it myself", or as the industry is heading, "getting it for cheaper".

The best scenario it seems is going to be, is if smaller 1-3 man labs can be on site, or in the same building as the Dr to make themselves indispensable. Or, to up our hand layered work to the point where the difference is clearly seen. I did had a newer Dr ask for me to do the case I picked up with the same nice translucency as the other one I sent back a week ago. Previously, she was asking for monolithic emax, but I mentioned she could get better results if I layered them. At least she did see that difference and asked for the better restoration.

This was a pretty short quote, but that I thought was good: http://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/threads/99-crowns-we-got-you-beat.22344/#post-202824

Last edited:
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Damn, I get busy and all hell breaks loose here,

I know many of the participants in this thread and I am just really frustrated that the communication is so poor.

Here is my take,

I think anyone that does not spend some time on FB to really see what is going on with Damaged Goods is really doing a disservice to themselves. If you love our industry it makes no sense if you are not joining the guys and girls that are absolutely passionate and proud of being a dental technicians.

I have been on the internet on dental forums for longer than I can remember and they all have a cycle. I will honestly admit that initially I saw it DG as a club and didn't understand all the hoopla.

Today I am in a totally different mindset. I have come to really feel connected with many of the participants and members of the DTG for many reasons. Most important to me is that sharing and uplifting of techs of ALL skill-sets. Many say its a glamor shot strokefest, and I was one of them. It absolutely is not. The participants of the DTG and the Affiliates are people in this trade, ALL with a VAST difference in skill, tenure, and quite frankly is one of the best cross sections of what makes up our industry.

Von and the guys associated closely are 100% making a difference in how manufacturers are communicating and empowering the "small business guy" I do not see NADL really doing this. I certainly feel that the NADL was our only truly recognized advocate for our industry and I applauded anyone that took their own money, time, and effort to achieve a set of initials after their name. To me this is more about the fact that these people are proud of what they do and the industry they work in. As a lab owner I encouraged my techs to participate in something. I never told them to be a CDT but offered my support to ANYONE that wanted to take the test.

I think DLN has a bunch of AWESOME individuals, I personally know Wade and I can attest to his strong type A personality that is being shown online, however I would never label him a jackass. I also know that he is a very good denture tech and has a lot to share. I also know Al and know he most definitely has no hidden agenda. He is here and shares here because he loves what he does and has had an epiphany and changed and better his skill set most readily with photography and HARD ASS WORK. With that being said I think we all have a way of posting and if we really concentrate on the real reason why we all participate we would be a little more tolerant. No one means to come off like an ass, god knows I have said things passionately but NEVER once did I mean to hurt or scar someone.

Von and many of the DTG guys that are already posting here are all super valuable resource to us all. I for one would love to see more of them participate here because so many of them are truly awesome techs and more than that, they are great people.

I find myself constantly coming back to DLN because I like so many of you people but I also know that I spend WAY more time on FB and the DTG is a big reason why.

Damage Goods and the DTG are not going anywhere, I see them gaining momentum and I am stoked about it. After 30 some odd years doing this I have never given back other than on these forums. As I head down the road putting together an exit strategy I could only hope that anything I was passionate about would be what I was remembered for. I can tell you this Von and the main KOL's in the DTG have already etched their names in something way bigger than just initials after their name and for us to only focus on that aspect is really short sided.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Seeing Docs looking for crowns in the $70 price range and looking for "quality" crowns in the low $100 range.

Our off the mill, stained and glazed FCZ's go for $275, then prices starting from there...yet not losing work to the cheapo labs, no BS...working at capacity ;) Just gotta figure out how to sell (ice to an Eskimo...LOL),then maintain them clients on their terms... We're not on any social media, nor boost a fancy web site either...but keeping a very personal relationship with everybody...thus getting referrals by word of mouth all the time...

Last edited:
Top Bottom