is there a better way? denture Id's

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
Oh come on TZ you mean Keystone wouldn't offer me those bennie's for that (I hope you all didn't think I was being serious)
Are you going to give it the technique a try Tom? if you do be sure to let me know what you think.

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
Nice job Bart-
I will give you a heads up on how well it works.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
Sure Tim just don't leave out the Mr.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
I don't inject, so I don't know if my suggestion would be better ot not. One of the reasons your technique, as is, works with minident is the bulk of the shrunken material helps it stay in position. If you go with the labelmaker you'll need to have a layer of clear covering the label so that it will stay in the clear. Just some things to think about. It looks like a great technique. Brian is obviously still hungover from last night...if he ever even went to bed...so don't let the smart crack go to your head. Let him get some coffee under his belt and he'll come around. :coffee:

I layer a some clear over the minident also. I wasn't very clear on that in my description anything to lessen the chance of any movement can be beneficial. I also inject before my acrylic reaches a snappy stage It's still kind of soft but doesn't stick to the jar or the fingers I think this helps too.

N

nickate

Reaction score
Aw jeeez.... Cut a groove in the lingual behind the molars and put in the name with

Your magic wand hydent....

C-ya.

Last edited:
CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
2. It takes less than 5 minutes hands on time...
$12.50 ea.X 12 per hour = 150$/hr.

You can do 12 in five minutes with my technique....so send Travis a check for the $137.50 profit I just added to your bottom line. :D

and you left off a step. After you grind her in you have to pumice that area smooth. Not so with my technique it's part of the palatal pattern and only needs a high shine.

And, I think if you put a stopwatch to your technique, your time will be about double...if you're lucky...all those little things (like getting the hot water for the pot, pumicing an area that didn't need pumicing before, retreiving and replacing the cold cure) do add up. This could be interesting. Everyone take an old denture and stopwatch the hands on time to add an ID to an old denture. Time it from when you cut the name off a sheet to pumicing just that one area). popcorn

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
Okay, here's a pic of one fresh out of devesting with clear instead of 199.

alh5.ggpht.com__dN32NxT_ME4_S9G5TxF4hnI_AAAAAAAASl8_LSuVTDBOmXU_s400_P1010001_2.JPG

I need to get onto my investor. The crap in the middle of the palate is from soap pooling there. They need to stand it up and let it dry. And they don't need to be painting the wax with soap in the first place...augh!!!!

The clear is easier to read. But I still prefer the 199 where the name seems to be just floating in it. And mixing up the clear does add some extra time plus it needs 60 seconds in the microwave instead of 30.
alh5.ggpht.com__dN32NxT_ME4_S9G5TxF4hnI_AAAAAAAASl8_LSuVTDBOmXU_s400_P1010001_2.JPG

Last edited:
hydent

hydent

Reaction score
Congratulations you know how to cold cure an id in a denture!! For those of us who do not like using cold cure on their brand new dentures we think of better ways. I charge 2 1/2 times what you charge for an id so I think it is deserving of a little more quality than cold curing. It's quite nice to break out a denture and not have to monkey around with the id. Not knocking anyone for cold curing I did it that way for a long time. I never did like the idea of cold curing something in my work, so I spend a lot of time trying to improve things to my liking.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
Okay, here's a pic of one fresh out of devesting with clear instead of 199.

I need to get onto my investor. The crap in the middle of the palate is form soap pooling there. They need to stand it up and let it dry. And they don't need to be painting the wax with soap in the first place...augh!!!!

The clear is easier to read. But I still prefer the 199 where the name seems to be just floating in it. And mixing up the clear does add some extra time plus it needs 60 seconds in the microwave instead of 30.

That looks really good, nice job!

N

nickate

Reaction score
You can do 12 in five minutes with my technique....so send Travis a check for the $137.50 profit I just added to your bottom line. :D

If you have 12 flasks opened up and ready to place the ID's you got yourself a LOT of dry acrylic coming your way... I don't happen to have 6 flask presses either....lol.

and you left off a step. After you grind her in you have to pumice that area smooth. Not so with my technique it's part of the palatal pattern and only needs a high shine.

Sorry bud... I didn't skip a step... I only pumice once... AFTER the case is finished AND the ID is in place...

And, I think if you put a stopwatch to your technique, your time will be about double...I DON'T THINK SO, SCOOTER...if you're lucky...I MUST BE...all those little things (like getting the hot water for the pot,I HAVE A NEW-FANGLED "HEATED" PRESSURE POT FROM GREAT LAKES... (Got it about 6 years ago...) pumicing an area that didn't need pumicing before,UH-UH---SEE ABOVE retreiving and replacing the cold cure) do add up. This could be interesting. Everyone take an old denture and stopwatch the hands on time to add an ID to an old denture. Time it from when you cut the name off a sheet to pumicing just that one area). popcorn

5-7 minutes. MAX.

N

nickate

Reaction score
Congratulations you know how to cold cure an id in a denture!! For those of us who do not like using cold cure on their brand new dentures we think of better ways. I charge 2 1/2 times what you charge for an id so I think it is deserving of a little more quality than cold curing. It's quite nice to break out a denture and not have to monkey around with the id. Not knocking anyone for cold curing I did it that way for a long time. I never did like the idea of cold curing something in my work, so I spend a lot of time trying to improve things to my liking.

Boy... I am VERY SORRY for my mediocre contribution in your thread...

I am just a lowly peasant and very rarely have an idea.. My work is also nowhere near the quality of your perceived prima-donna work that is SO GREAT you need to RUB IT IN MY FACE you charge "2 1/2 TIMES" what I charge.

YOU ARE THE DENTURE GOD.... I BOW TO YOU... hahaha

Insecurity problem? You might try decaf...

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
nickate go out on a limb and try my technique I think you will be surprised at how efficient it is I haven't timed it but I don't see it taking much more than 5-8 minutes total and plus you don't have to place it in a pressure pot. Another suggestion and this is just one mans opinion, I would seriously consider charging more. Really it's not that much different than doing a simple repair. Don't tell me you only charge 12.50 for a simple repair.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
Boy... I am VERY SORRY for my mediocre contribution in your thread...

I am just a lowly peasant and very rarely have an idea.. My work is also nowhere near the quality of your perceived prima-donna work that is SO GREAT you need to RUB IT IN MY FACE you charge "2 1/2 TIMES" what I charge.

YOU ARE THE DENTURE GOD.... I BOW TO YOU... hahaha

Insecurity problem? You might try decaf...

I apologize if you feel belittled that was not my intention. My intent is to help people see the value in what they do, not to come off like a jerk and I see how you could have taken it that way. I just thought we had moved beyond cold curing id's in the first paragraph in the thread.
I am far from a denture god however that doesn't keep me from striving to be one. Feel free to join in on threads and definatly tell me if I'm being a ass I'm perfecly ok with it.

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
Well, Bud is busy so I guess I'll address this. ;)

Okay you didn't skip a step you added a step. You're pumicing an area that only needs pumicing because you ground on it. The IDs in my denture need no pumicing just high shine.

Scooter went home for the weekend. I told him to time your technique but he scooted out on me...must be how he got his nickname. :cool:

And you may not be lucky. You may just be fast. Me, I'm slow as molasses, So I need simpler more efficient ways to do things. If you've seen my ten minute denture wax up video then you'll note it is not a whirlwind of speed and motion. It's slow, steady, concentrated motions that simply focuses my efforts in order to reduce waste and save time.

You must forgive Hydent. Any arrogant tendancies he inadvertently displays he took from me. :p

Your contribution wasn't mediocre. The technique is old as the hills (except the part about printing on a pink background...nice touch!). And FYI anything 6 years old isn't new fangled. Oh, and to save TomZ the post, Keystone has a nice heated pressure pot.:D

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
Sensitive little fella isn't he maybe he should try decaf. :tee:
Damn Tim I knew your arrogance was rubbing off on me.:(
I'm expecting Ken to intervene anytime.... Ken are you out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Yes, I'm reading... ok, here's my take. Cold cure is a fine tool. CC a name in is fine. But if you were to do it in one shot during processing, then it seems to me the major advantage would be that there's no interface/ bond between separate materials. Over the lifetime of the denture microleakage and imbibition of bacteria would never have a chance to happen, so it would stay nice for as long as the base stayed nice. That's all.
Really, you have to take a little bit of crap from the peanut gallery sometimes, but none of these guys are really mean, so lets all be nice, ok?
How's that?
By the way lots of these guys take shots a those who use a handpiece instead of a lathe to finish. Well I started on the lathe and moved to the handpiece during my days as a C&B wanna is (not be). Never went back (except to pumice and polish). I COULD say something smartassed like " if you're any good at waxing, then you shouldn't need to lean into a lathe to grind 5 inches of resin that shouldn't be there", but I wont because I'm not thin skinned and I don't have to be mean...

Last edited:
CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
I'm sorry to see Nickate went back and deleted most of his post.

A lot of what we do, or say, or offer is like a beautiful woman. No matter how much we like it that doesn't mean anyone else will. Bart offered up a tall Redhead. Nicktate offered a stacked Blonde. And I offered a petite Brunette. Just because they're all beautiful doesn't mean anybody has to love them. Apparently, nicktate doesn't kindly to dumb blonde jokes. But you really shouldn't have pulled her from the discussion.

Ken, if that's your idea of being a smart-ass then may I recommend a good mentor?

If I can teach Bart how to be arrogant, then surely I can show you the smart-ass ropes. I have an on-line class good for professional developement CE credit. Easy payments. The whole works. I have one slot open for those with a handpiece dependency problem.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Well in smartass terms I am liliputan in the land of giants... I am humbled.