3Shape and Trios

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
3Shape comes with Trios. Is this anything I should consider when selecting a scanner ? Thanks..

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
In the circles I'm in Trios is a separate entity. If you want to export stl files from Trios you have to buy the design module. If you have 3shape and an 'inbox' you should be good to go, no need to render into stl format.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
3Shape comes with Trios. Is this anything I should consider when selecting a scanner ? Thanks..
trios is hardware, 3shape is software, and a big software at that, encompassing also lab scanners.

usually trios is packaged all on its own with its software, because it is marketed to doctors. labs buy the 3shape lab scanner varieties and get the 3shape software with it.

buying one is exclusive to buying the other.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
trios is hardware, 3shape is software, and a big software at that, encompassing also lab scanners.

usually trios is packaged all on its own with its software, because it is marketed to doctors. labs buy the 3shape lab scanner varieties and get the 3shape software with it.

buying one is exclusive to buying the other.
Well put Luke.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
o.k. thanks, she just mentioned that the software was already there to accept Trios with no other fees.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
indeed when you buy 3shape you are ready to accept trios files. you only need to set up your lab with 3shape Communicate (no additional cost) and enter the login info in your 3shape control panel and you will begin the process of adding clients to your COmmunicate profile. much like a facebook.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
indeed when you buy 3shape you are ready to accept trios files. you only need to set up your lab with 3shape Communicate (no additional cost) and enter the login info in your 3shape control panel and you will begin the process of adding clients to your COmmunicate profile. much like a facebook.
Do you still have to go thru the vetting process of producing a model and having 3Shape validate before becoming Trios Ready?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Do you still have to go thru the vetting process of producing a model and having 3Shape validate before becoming Trios Ready?
Which brings up another question. I have a client a little butt hurt with me right now because I have an added fee ($50) for anything Tru-Def sent to me. Reason being is that the Doc hasn't done enough TruDef cases with me for me to get the margin marking signed off by 3M in my lab, therefore another lab has to do it (@$36),also the models are $36 dollars as well. I figure I will eat $22 of it because I get the models from TruDef ready to go. However, I'm not eating the full cost just because you (the Doc) decided to buy a TruDef. Help me out here, am I wrong?...maybe I am, how did you guys deal with this at first?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Which brings up another question. I have a client a little butt hurt with me right now because I have an added fee ($50) for anything Tru-Def sent to me. Reason being is that the Doc hasn't done enough TruDef cases with me for me to get the margin marking signed off by 3M in my lab, therefore another lab has to do it (@$36),also the models are $36 dollars as well. I figure I will eat $22 of it because I get the models from TruDef ready to go. However, I'm not eating the full cost just because you (the Doc) decided to buy a TruDef. Help me out here, am I wrong?...maybe I am, how did you guys deal with this at first?
The guy went with one of the cheapest options for a scanner out there to save money. The inconvenience and extra cost to you has to be made up some where.
I don't have any TruDef guys right now, but I wouldn't eat that cost unless that guy did a ton of volume and paid quick or via credit card with each case.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
A. $36 to mark margins is RIDICULOUS!

B. you don't need to mark the margins in 3M software every time. I only use it if the scan data needs to be cleaned up. Otherwise, I just get the .stl files and do everything in ModelBuilder. Doesn't Exocad have a Model module?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
The guy went with one of the cheapest options for a scanner out there to save money. The inconvenience and extra cost to you has to be made up some where.
I don't have any TruDef guys right now, but I wouldn't eat that cost unless that guy did a ton of volume and paid quick or via credit card with each case.
To be fair, he does do a lot of work (5k+/month) and it is usually very nice work. The first couple cases he did snap an impression on as well as doing a Tru Def on it. After I was done, I could take the crowns from the impressions and put them on the TruDef models and vice versa without seeing a damn bit of difference. Which really surprised me, I thought for sure their would of been some difference, but they were practically identical.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
A. $36 to mark margins is RIDICULOUS!

B. you don't need to mark the margins in 3M software every time. I only use it if the scan data needs to be cleaned up. Otherwise, I just get the .stl files and do everything in ModelBuilder. Doesn't Exocad have a Model module?

Yep, I agree $36 is ridiculous, and I do have Exocad w/Model Builder but 3M won't accept them unless they are 3Shape :( ...but then again, maybe it was because I'm not a certified 'margin marking lab' is why they said that to me. Not sure.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Send your model files to Core3D or Argen. The Pearlstone material is better than that Blue stuff from 3m. Incidentally, there was an Italian co. @ Lab Day that had a printer that would do 5 sets of models in about 4 hours. Looked nice. Same printer can output nightguards and surgical stents using different materials and the material switching is almost instantaneous - ingenious design. $32k

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Do you know the price via Argen or Core3D off hand?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
To be fair, he does do a lot of work (5k+/month) and it is usually very nice work. The first couple cases he did snap an impression on as well as doing a Tru Def on it. After I was done, I could take the crowns from the impressions and put them on the TruDef models and vice versa without seeing a damn bit of difference. Which really surprised me, I thought for sure their would of been some difference, but they were practically identical.
That's great that he does that kind of volume with you and does nice work, but $72 off your profits for every case. That seems hardly worth it. Eating $22 on every case I could live with.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
it takes 6 weeks to become trios ready... ridiculously slow

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score

Are there any fees to receive these files ? Per case, yearly ? If I wanted to say start receiving Itero files ? The extra fees LabGuy is incurring would not go over to well with the accounts. I guess what I"m asking is , Is there a basic rule of thumb for additional charges for files being sent from the Dr. ? You mention additional model and die marking. Any other to consider ? Thanks