Valplast Full Denture?

D

Dziora

Reaction score
Hello DLN.

I know it is theoretically possible to make FULL Valplast denture (at least it what they say at Valplast website),but I would like to hear your opinion on making practical part of it. Few questions first.

• Have you tried making full upper or lower Valplast denture? What are the pros and cons, what problems might occur and what are the most difficult parts to make it happen?
  • Stability? Does patient need the rigidity for valplast to stay in place if there is no supporting teeth left?
  • Overall opinion - is it worth it or not? Any alternatives?

Thanks in advance!

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Crap, move on. Its not really a good solution fr a complete denture.

The way they have you stabilize Drilling into the model to make retention to control the shrinking aspect when doing a full denture is very telling. The fact that you will have to rebase rather than reline is also a major negative.

Stick with acrylic

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I totally agree with John, The TCS & Duraflex Has the same concerns, as well as no or very limited repairability. If you need a truly strong & want it a bit thinner investigate the 1180 Vinyl from Astron, Standard compression technique you do need to use stabilizing chemicals for the color. I have Luxene injection equipment, it's not readily available(in USA). You can inject Astron Vinyl in a Ivocap & Doug has the capsuals to do so with, The astron vinyl comes premixed and has a shelf life. I'm lucky to live 4 miles from the plant I get what I need when I need it by just stoping in. Astron Dental Corporation - Dentures

Last edited:
X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
Agree with the above statements even though I just got done finishing a full denture Duraflex about 30min. ago... :eek: Wasn't my choice and I advised against it.

Negatives

Overall fit - Subpar at best

Repairability

Strength - Strength of material is great, but strength of material doesn't mean anything if the teeth wont stay in.

Positives

Looks cool/Sounds cool - :cool:

Thats about it...

D

Dziora

Reaction score
Thank you, I think we are clear here. Thats what I'll tell the Doc.

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
Full flexible = FUBAR!
Don't bother trying, the time you'll lose isn't worth it. IMO.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Crap, move on. Its not really a good solution fr a complete denture.

The way they have you stabilize Drilling into the model to make retention to control the shrinking aspect when doing a full denture is very telling. The fact that you will have to rebase rather than reline is also a major negative.

Stick with acrylic
So what might be the best solution for a patient with a small mouth opening? Smallest tray will not fit......Cannot get any good extensions on the lower because the tray doesn't fit through the orifice....Had to split the tray and make it semi bendable to get it in...cannot even get in a full tryin..I was thinking of valplast for completes to get it into the opening. Thinking of waxing u it up thicker. Just want slight bendable to fit through the opening.....and achieve a full extension however thinking that any flexibility would reverse the benefit of fuller extensions.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
So what might be the best solution for a patient with a small mouth opening? Smallest tray will not fit......Cannot get any good extensions on the lower because the tray doesn't fit through the orifice....Had to split the tray and make it semi bendable to get it in...cannot even get in a full tryin..I was thinking of valplast for completes to get it into the opening. Thinking of waxing u it up thicker. Just want slight bendable to fit through the opening.....and achieve a full extension however thinking that any flexibility would reverse the benefit of fuller extensions.
I'd focus on making a custom tray first...use some putty, then pour that up and make a custom tray...adding where you need too. Once you got good custom trays and feel comfortable, then I would move forward in making the decision of something definitive.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I have no answer for how to take an impression as this is not my forte but as Rob states a custom tray will help. What I can state is if you think a full denture made with valplast will bend like you see in photos of valplast partials you are mistaken.

When you inject this type of material with a buc/ling flanges it becomes rigid. The reason this material is contraindicated for full dentures is that injecting that much mass is near impossible to with out the material continuing to cool at a rate that will not fill the flask fast enough with out distortion. At least this is my experience with these sorts of materials.

Frankly Valplast is the kleenex of flexible material but some of the newer systems seem much more advanced in how they heat and inject the flasks. Perhaps some of these materials are better suited for this I am not really sure? I started with Valplast and have stuck with it no matter how much I hate it as it sells it self but I would not bat an eyelash if I never saw a Valplast case again in my lab.

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score

these links may help with microstomia cases, also note the patient must have good handling/dexterity ability;
http://www.contempclindent.org/arti...ume=4;issue=1;spage=74;epage=77;aulast=Sharma

http://www.ijds.in/functions.php?fu...eVol=Vol. 4&IssueNumber=Issue 4&ArticleID=334

http://www.contempclindent.org/arti...me=3;issue=3;spage=349;epage=351;aulast=Kumar

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
The dexterity is not the case but thanks so much for the input. I think I will end up opting for a heavy duraflex or duracetal on the lower and conventional on the upper. The patient currently has an upper of acrylic but the lower will need to be bent to insert it. I would rather do a heavy valplast or other flexible solution, on a neutral zone impression (which generallly are heavier than standard) to stiffen it up....I will let you know the outcome.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
I have no answer for how to take an impression as this is not my forte but as Rob states a custom tray will help. What I can state is if you think a full denture made with valplast will bend like you see in photos of valplast partials you are mistaken.

When you inject this type of material with a buc/ling flanges it becomes rigid. The reason this material is contraindicated for full dentures is that injecting that much mass is near impossible to with out the material continuing to cool at a rate that will not fill the flask fast enough with out distortion. At least this is my experience with these sorts of materials.

Frankly Valplast is the kleenex of flexible material but some of the newer systems seem much more advanced in how they heat and inject the flasks. Perhaps some of these materials are better suited for this I am not really sure? I started with Valplast and have stuck with it no matter how much I hate it as it sells it self but I would not bat an eyelash if I never saw a Valplast case again in my lab.
Thanks John. I already have made a custom tray for preliminaries. I don't need it to bend that much...Perhaps half an inch or so. It will depend upon how much coverage I need to stabilize it on the lower arch. It will be a zero degree occlusion on a curve using an average value articulator such as Hanaumate and I may just do a facebow it time and the patient permits. The patient currently has a flat plane occlusion and is having difficulty with it.....obviously....Her facial structure is incredibly tapering with a very wide posterior arch on both upper and lower. I will consult with the dental lab before final decision.
Just going for stability and function for now. Thanks again.....DC

S

Sp00n

Reaction score
The only time i would do a valplast full denture is if the patient has zero tolerance to monomer. That is all.

Otherwise theyre as good as cowpoo

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
I assume you already tried inserting the denture/tray sideways before rotating it in the right
orientation before seating the tray, and vice versa when removing?
LCM

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Sometimes it is just technique but maybe your patient has truly small mouth you cannot
even insert by going sideways first . . . and I have worked with patients after surgery
etc, and I can get almost a regular small size stock tray in. Just wondering out loud, that's all.
LCM

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
we do some but I do not like them. They will squirm around and cause as many or more problems then they solve.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Yes after all your comments have abandoned the idea of valplast or duraflex denture base. Will make impressions of existing denture and go from there. Then I can at least get a bite and perhaps extend with some tissue conditioner several times as much as possible. Nope cannot even get it in sideways and rotate it in. That is my usual entry. Most people can do that with but no go here. I did manage to get a decent alginate impression with a split tray that I squeezed together and then released once inserted. But now the wide baseplate tray won't fit.....grrrrrr....thanks to all for the advise regarding valplast denture base...

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Sometimes it is just technique but maybe your patient has truly small mouth you cannot
even insert by going sideways first . . . and I have worked with patients after surgery
etc, and I can get almost a regular small size stock tray in. Just wondering out loud, that's all.
LCM
Facial form is very tapering with really wide arches at the back. Patient too has extreme dry mouth which complicates matters but the surfactant I use helps....Have used Biotene wash but some are having some sort of reaction to it depending upon their medication regimen....I will get this done but just taking my ti9me with it. Patient cannot tolerate too many visits or long extended procedures. Patient also tries to spit out anything that she doesn't like....but the more I distract her with stories about my family and her family the better it gets. Sometimes we need to play psychologist too to get things done and patients to calm down....this must be one of the most challenging cases I have had yet....I am sure there will be more with different challenges.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Welcome to removable prosth.
Typically, this gets referred to a prosthodontist to spend the time and take the difficult
case off the general dentist.
"Grasshopper, you are leaning well" Beer
(Sorry, could not resist that, but I am by no means a master or Sinseh).
LCM

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I would think outside the box and use the old denture to get an impression and either use that model or make a custom tray from it.
If she likes the old bite, go with that don't change it or else the denture will never be right for her. So impress and take bite at the same time with the old denture ,mount on articulator. If she can get the old denture in her mouth then forget the Valplast denture, she can use a new more stable acrylic denture.