Building Upper/Lower Bling Grill....

• Thread starter Marcusthegladiator CDT
  • Start date
Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
So the doctor has a patient who wants an upper and lower grill. He doesnt want gold.
We are capable of doing it. But unsure what metal to use. Im not worried about CTE so I can broaden the possible metals to use.
I've done this before, but its been a while.
I am going to waxup 6 lowers and 6 uppers, over the existing teeth.
This isnt a serious case as the patient just wants them for play and has money to burn.
But I would like to build them with sincerity as they arent going to be cheap.
Any tips?
Im just going to cast them at the same time in a fat ring.

Im going to use large bars and a fat button.

Any tips? Its been a while.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Could I just have them milled???? Would it cost less than an ounce of semi?
How does the chrome cobolt look polished up like a grill?
Can I have them milled in semi something?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
If I were going to do it I would block out the solid model duplicate, pour it up in GC Orbit vest, wax it on the mounted refractory models. Trim down the model to fit in a casting ring, soak the model then invest each arch separate. After devesting it should fit like a glove.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
If I were going to do it I would block out the solid model duplicate, pour it up in GC Orbit vest, wax it on the mounted refractory models. Trim down the model to fit in a casting ring, soak the model then invest each arch separate. After devesting it should fit like a glove.

I have some GC Orbit in the house. Good idea, but will my waxup with refractory intact be a little heavy and topsy turvy when Im spruing to the button in my ring?

Can I use the refractory ORbit material and invest everything in another investment? Have you done this with success?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I have some GC Orbit in the house. Good idea, but will my waxup with refractory intt be a little heavy and topsy turvy when Im spruing to the button in my ring?

Can I use the refractory ORbit material and invest everything in another investment? Have you done this with success?

Years ago we used to cast lingual fitted bars for patients with heavy bone loss on the lowers to stabilize the teeth.
If you are worried about two different investments, use the one that you use for cast metal using the same ratio for expansion for the metal composition you are casting. Trim as much of the refractory investment as possible to keep the weight down. Improvise your spruing technique.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
anyway you can just design and mill out of titanium? - cheap and light

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Where's the 'fun' in that?

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Will Titanium look great and polish great? Seems like it would be a pain to Polish up a milled surface texture on Titanium. Its not exactly soft. And from experience, a grill thats hard, breaks.... when you bend it. :)

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I would go with crco.. The refractory method sounds like a winner. You can make that baby shine like the bumper of a '56 chevy. If he wants gold then just plate it.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
I would go with crco.. The refractory method sounds like a winner. You can make that baby shine like the bumper of a '56 chevy. If he wants gold then just plate it.

So chromium cobolt looks good polished? As good or better than some platinum?
Maybe ill google some images....

edit:

I google some images, and was reminded that as pretty as chrome is, its bright when it reflects, but has that dark blueish, purplish, blackness, obsidian look in its shadowy areas. Looks nice, but I think the guy wants something more like silver.

Maybe well charge gold price, and just order some 99.999 silver coins, lmao

But well probably just order some semi with some palladium and gold in it.

Seems like we should be able to use a less expensive alloy though since were not fusing anything to it...

Last edited:
Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
3d print, cast in whatever you want?

I have made myself an eight unit grill a few times.

Easy-cheesy....took Three minutes of CAD design time.

(Old thread....Old software...) http://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/f46/digital-grill-bling-bling-2533/

Nice thread, thanx, i didnt know of Paul Wall...

Im probably going to wax it, it will be more fun for me.

I just need to know what metal Im going to buy...

The doctor and patient sat down today and googled some grill images and she sent me what hes looking for...

Lucky for me he wants the lowers to look like one piece and square, and the uppers to be square and individual looking...

Lucky for me, cause I can make things a bit thincker and stronger.... Leaving room on the lingual as I dont want much back there...

Looking at his bite, I may be able to build them and he will still be able to close his bite...

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
So if this paul wall guy builds a set of gold grills that weigh 2.5 dwt, how does he polish and finish without bending it? A rock tumbler full of stainless steel balls?

Anyway, still looking for an answer on an alloy that would be prime for a white gold grill. Do I really have to spend almost $1k an ounce for something designed for crown and bridge?
What if I put a silver coin, a penny, a nickel, and some pixie dust in the crucible and smelted it all together?

M

martintay

Reaction score
Silver is about £1 / gramm and has anti- bacterial qualities ! Pretty soft though :(

user name

user name

Reaction score
So if this paul wall guy builds a set of gold grills that weigh 2.5 dwt, how does he polish and finish without bending it? A rock tumbler full of stainless steel balls?

Anyway, still looking for an answer on an alloy that would be prime for a white gold grill. Do I really have to spend almost $1k an ounce for something designed for crown and bridge?
What if I put a silver coin, a penny, a nickel, and some pixie dust in the crucible and smelted it all together?

Ivoclar WLW. Very silver, very low cost, handles just like 50-65% gold.

William

William

Reaction score
block out the interproximals, take 1/2 or 1/4 round bur go around the teeth kinda like a post damn on a denture, do not take this all the way to tissue on the lingual. go halfway down. do not try to make them anatomically correct. try to keep .5mm thick. lube the model with petroleum jelly. use jewelry scrap. invest at np ratio for maximum expansion. direct sprue.

do not think like a dental technician.

i have made dozens of them.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score

Ivoclar WLW- 71%silver, 25% Palladium...
So im guessing $100 an ounce?

A

Ararat

Reaction score
I hate that I am gonna post this, but this might simplify your life. I had to do some for some high end clients, and 2 playmates. Believe it or not this works fine for those who just want it for play. Hip Hop Grillz Lets pretend I didnt post this though, lol.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score

Thanks username.

Just ordered an ounce @ $250, not bad.

Another question DLN...

Wax weight to metal weight ratio?

How much wax material casts how much silver/palladium, in a nutshell, not counting buttons...