• Welcome to Dental Lab Network
    1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing models from Sirona/Cerec Scans?

Discussion in 'Dental-CAD' started by BlakeHarting, Nov 13, 2017.

1. BlakeHarting
      Curious

BlakeHarting Active Member Full Member

Is anyone able to print their own models from Sirona/Cerec scans??

Last time I checked the only option was to get them printed through them (Infinident).

2. AnAppleaDay

AnAppleaDay New Member Full Member

Also interested in knowing.

3. JMN
      Curious

JMN Christian Member Full Member

Hey! You've been kinda rare lately! Glad to see you.

• Like Like x 1
    4. BlakeHarting
      Curious

Ha. Yeah, busy and such. :)

5. brayks

brayks Active Member Sponsors Full Member

From the Dentsply website:
      Flexible model production
      Given the continuous development of high-quality CAD/CAM materials for monolithically produced restorations, a physical working model is already a thing of the past for many digital impressions.

If necessary, the 3D model data received can be sent either to the central model production, infiniDent from Dentsply Sirona, or to an alternative model production (e.g., 3D printer) via the STL data export.

The key here is STL data export and what the data format is (I assume standard STL file format) the associated costs are (software modules, individual fees, etc.) and workflow procedures are required to output the STL file to your local disk.

• Like Like x 1
    6. JMN
      Curious

JMN Christian Member Full Member

Unfortunately, STLs are not all equal in quality of descriptive detail.

Thanks to WhipMix: http://info.whipmix.com/open-but-not-equal-understanding-the-stl-file-format

• Like Like x 1
    7. brayks

brayks Active Member Sponsors Full Member

Oh yes, I am fully aware as we have been working with STL files a very long time. You really have to evaluate the quality and the tools available either within the originating system or receiving system (dental CAD, CAM and Printer software) to see where you stand in terms of adherence to STL file standards, tolerances, vertices, holes, etc.).

I assume there will likely to be some "fixing" of the file to make it suitable for what ever fabrication method will be used.

This was a big problem in the early days of industrial CAD/CAM (from about 1986 to about 2000). So much so that we sold software specifically designed to "fix" STL files.

These days, although still an issue, most software outputs much better STL files and the capability of the "fabrication system" includes either fix methods or are more tolerant to lower quality STL files minimizing the need for a separate SLT file "fixer".

Still garbage-in, garbage-out. We always recommend obtaining a sample output file to evaluate.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AnAppleaDay

Another question would be how do you handle articulating the models if printed/milled locally?

9. 2000markpeters

2000markpeters Active Member Full Member

We print them. As far as articulating them just put pin supports to maintain articulation set by dentists scan

10. AnAppleaDay

Interesting. Can you share a screen shot of what this would look like?

11. mmbh

mmbh Member Full Member

If you have stl export module, you can send them out for printing if you don't have your own printer, its easy to do. Not a fan of Sirona infinident models. Your models will print with the pin holes in the bottom for sirona's model system. You can buy a few Sirona articulators and some pins if you really need them. The Sirona model capabilities leave alot to be desired, especially compared to exocad and 3shape, but their main client is the Dentist, who don't need models for their setup. Honestly sending your models out to be printed is too expensive unless its a large case. If needed, I mill a die (until I get a good printer) and small quadrant for contacts which has been much more accurate than infinident's printed models, cheaper and faster.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    12. CreDes
      No Mood

CreDes Active Member Donator Full Member

The InEos X5 will export all scans in .stl without a special license. They will need to be closed with meshmixer or whatever software that you have.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    13. grantoz
      Amused

grantoz Well-Known Member Full Member

yes you can but you must have sirona connect but you cant print implant models using their software. the stls are pretty good but not as smooth to use you will need your own model making software.

• Like Like x 1
    14. BlakeHarting
      Curious

Yeah, so far I've gotten a .dxd converted through infinident, but it isn't closed. And I've also exported .stls (also not closed). You think it's better just closing the raw file to print? Or finding out how to design and export the models with pinholes etc?

I don't know if you need the .stl export package to export .stls that are designed for model printing...

15. mmbh

mmbh Member Full Member

Yes it will export without export module but as a shell like you mentioned. I assumed we were talking about the native ability of the software without using 3rd party software to finish the job. I use meshmixer to separate the ditched die from the non ditched for printing and milling.

• Like Like x 1
    16. eyeloveteeth
      Innocent

eyeloveteeth Well-Known Member Donator Full Member

we can do them, we paid Sirona like $5k or $10k for this option. We almost never use the scan as it is over decimated

• Like Like x 2
    17. IgorN

IgorN New Member Full Member

We print em but just from Apollo DI I/O scanners.As i remember there was license to extract em in .stl and everything else goes on exo.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1