• Welcome to Dental Lab Network
    1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pricing on Full Contour Anterior Zirconia Cases

Discussion in 'Zirconium' started by PDC, Oct 12, 2017.

1. PDC

PDC Active Member Full Member

Since zirconia seems to be improving by the day with regards to color and translucency, now it seems that doctors are requesting the FCZ more for everything...especially anterior cases. This is something that still requires more time in the design and shading steps than posterior work especially since it isn't layered.

Do you guys price anterior cases more per unit? $10,15,20, etc.?

I know they can still get FCZ's for the same price as a posterior, but for me it takes more time and I think it's definitely worth it to make it look acceptable. Have you had any responses back from your accounts on this for those of you who have increase prices for this?

2. zero_zero
      Drunk

zero_zero Well-Known Member Full Member

Label them as "esthetic work" and charge accordingly ;)...

3. eyeloveteeth
      Innocent

eyeloveteeth Well-Known Member Donator Full Member

$10-15-20? dude you are asking a very odd business question.

You need to know your customers and what you can charge / how your business is viewed.

Our Anterior units are twice the price of our posterior units (for example) - but there are plenty of labs that could not do that. On top of that, we don't get that many posterior units compared to other labs.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. PDC

PDC Active Member Full Member

I think I know my customers very well...25+ years.

Maybe the reason you don't get many posterior units is because your pricing is not competitive. I do a lot of posterior units and large anterior cases. The posteriors are very profitable (probably more so than anterior cases) and I do get a nice price for them. Posteriors account for the largest percentage of dental restorations made. It also accounts for a large percentage of my revenues which I, as well as many other labs I'm sure, need in order to stay in business.

I don't feel my question is "odd". I charge $90 more to layer a crown. That takes much more time to do than staining and glazing a FCZ. Anterior FCZ's do have more labor involved and I'm just trying to get a handle on how others in the industry handle the pricing since they are becoming increasingly popular. Exact pricing doesn't have to be disclosed...use a percentage. Just trying to gain a little insight into this since I haven't seen any LMT pricing on cases such as this.

• Agree Agree x 3
    5. eyeloveteeth
      Innocent

i think you mistook what i said and got a bit offended. I apologize if you were.

let me be a bit more transparent with our lab.

We are 65% Anterior, 35% Posterior, our posterior fees are probably double most avg posterior prices. We do NOT charge a difference in material or type, we have 2 charges - anterior or posterior. Our accounts trust us to make the right judgement call to achieve the best result possible - so for us, that #9 doesn't have 5 different prices.

The reason I called your question odd, is because if you know your accounts well enough, then you already know the answer to how they will handle it - the REAL question is how do YOU want to handle it - how well do you know yourself and your quality and what you can truly charge / what will probably happen to your clientele if you do.

So for what it's worth - 65% of my business revolves around full mouth/anterior prices at $355/unit. for the past 2 decades we have always had this structure, and business is good.

I agree, if you have the skills to show for it, then your anterior should be valued correctly. the reason we charge so high for our posterior is because we don't necessarily want that overcapacity - eventually that spillover will only mean our anterior techs have to focus on it, and what they are paid is not truly worth changing the balance. If anything we would be more than happy to give up even more posteriors for more anterior work.

• Informative Informative x 2
    6. RileyS
      Inspired

RileyS Well-Known Member Full Member

I'm approx 30% more for full contour anteriors and approx 60% more for ant veneers (e.max)

7. tomas
      Spaced

tomas Member Sponsors Full Member

BeerBeer

we charge same price on your Anterior or Posterior full crown designs .

we offer free design your 5 test cases , so you can try out our service without any risk .

CiaoCiaoCiao

8. Car 54
      No Mood

Car 54 Well-Known Member Donator Full Member

9. eyeloveteeth
      Innocent

i believe imgur works

10. charles007
      Grumpy

charles007 Well-Known Member Full Member

Back in 2008/09 I spent 2 days at ZZ in Atlanta and knew FCZ alone with Emax would eventually take over metal ceramics. As zir evolved i decided to keep raising my fcz prices. I now charge $30.00 more for fcz anteriors and charge extra on all fcz bridges. Did get a call about the increase on anteriors ! More labor and higher cost of the newer more translucent zirconia's. I let my doctors know I'm continually changing to the best most expensive zirconia's.
      My lab is not highend, but i probably charge more than average labs on FCZ. Posteriors FCZ $159. / FCZ Anteriors $179.
      Most of my restorations are in zirconia and anything layered is only facially or bucally layered with zir occlusion to prevent breakage.

Edit: Before fcz became so popular 50 to 60% of my crown were porcelain shoulder margins, including molars.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
      • Informative Informative x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2