• Welcome to Dental Lab Network
    1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3i encode crown?

Discussion in 'Implants' started by denttech1960, Oct 11, 2017.

1. denttech1960

denttech1960 New Member Full Member

I received this impression today with the original one piece screw retained crown instead of an impression transfer coping, dentist didn't do the original and didn't take an ex-ray so now I need to play detective. Pretty sure this is a 3i encode abutment but just to be sure... Any other guesses?

It has an approximately 5.5mm platform and the hex head is 2.8mm while the tip of the abutment to the bottom of the platform is 4.5mm and there are 5 metal tabs on the tip of the abutment. The dentist also removed what looks like a longer goldtite screw and sent it along with the case.

This implant crown is 15mm from mesial to distal, that is a very long crown. Not sure that the milled titanium blocks would be large enough to give the porcelain good support?

If this is a 3i encode are there options other than milled titanium? Zirconia perhaps? I am waiting to hear back from 3i but you guys are way faster.

Attached Files:

2. DESS-USA
      Thinking

DESS-USA Member Sponsors Full Member

Yellow 3i is a 5.0
      Yes it is 3i - here are some options -
      For Zirconia -
      ti base with final screw and wax up sleeve- make a zirconia crown screw retained- FDA approved - $39
      https://www.dess-usa.com/ti-base-engaging-5-0-16-016/
      if you have angulation issues and need the screw on the lingual side then we have an angled screw chanel ti base with screw - FDA approved - $39
      https://www.dess-usa.com/aurum-base-engaging-5-0-37-016-3i-certain-compatible/

Regular cementable abutment-
      we also have regular straight abutments with 2mm collars comes with a final screw- FDA approved - $69
      https://www.dess-usa.com/straight-abutment-5-0-13016/

We have other components based on the restoration you desire (all plastic abutment , chrome cobalt if you want to cast) and premills if you want to mill out a custom titanium abutment....

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. JMN
      Curious

JMN Christian Member Full Member

the interface is called a 3i Certain. You didn't get the impression done in a way to make an encode. Just need the analog, mate it up to the post in the impression, wrap with gingival simulation material from the impression material to just past the interface of the two.

Encode impressions have no implant parts at all in them, it is just an impression of a circle/partial sphere with specific dents and mark shapes to indicate rotation, height of the plastic thing that made the dent in the impresssions, etc.

Was that too much? Was that enough?

Lab toys start on page 7
      http://www.biomet3i.com/resource Center/Brochures/The Certain Implant System Ordering Information_ART1048.pdf

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. JMN
      Curious

Oh, the gold screws for 3i are ONLY for using when the dentist does the final seating and torquing down. If you order from 3i, make sure that they have down that you want the gold screw because unless they changed it in the last 2 years, you have to order it separately. $50 screw. Sheesh.

Get lab screws also if you don't have any. They are made of a different material, and don't... Oh brother. If you need it, here: http://dentallabnetwork.com/resources/implant-primer.12/

Edit: not trying to be insulting, just don't remember how much you know.

5. denttech1960

6. denttech1960

Thanks for your help! Muchly appreciated! I am in Canada so I need CSA approved and the dentist requested original manufacturer parts even though he didn't know who the manufacturer is so I order from 3i.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
      • Like Like x 2
    7. denttech1960

No offense taken, I have almost four decades of experience but I have not seen this implant base before and as the impression didn't have an impression transfer coping and no information on the RX or ex-rays I just needed some feed back to get it figured out. So I ordered a lab analog, a one piece UCLA abutment for a screw retained implant crown and a goldtite screw from my local 3i territory representative.

Thanks for your help and input, I appreciate it.

• Like Like x 1
    8. sidesh0wb0b
      Sleepy

sidesh0wb0b Well-Known Member Full Member

3i platform for sure.
      praise god it was an encode nightmare!

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. JMN
      Curious

Your welcome.

• Like Like x 1
    10. doug
      Inspired

doug Well-Known Member Full Member

Make sure you bill accordingly for the time you spent doing the docs homework, even if you got your answers here.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. denttech1960

Ya no kidding, I agree! These questionable cases cost me alot of time and if I don't call it right I end up paying for parts that I might never end up using so there goes my profits! Then we get the question, why is it so expensive?

12. lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum Well-Known Member Full Member

Consider adding donation under the "Sponsor" tab . . .
      LCM

13. DESS-USA
      Thinking

DESS-USA Member Sponsors Full Member

if you have a doctor that is open minded to aftermarket health canada approved parts then in Canada check out Abutments International
      Info@abutmentsinternational.com
      Office: 647 352 7011
      416 992 9830

• Like Like x 1
    14. sndmn2

sndmn2 Active Member Full Member

I believe they automatically include the gold screw. Make sure you a working screw also. But ask to be sure.

• Like Like x 2