Zubler Vario Press 300 problem

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
The warm up program is critical. It's on the first screen about three down from the top selection. It says "run warm up program". You have to do this everyday before your first press. I also set my idle temp to 700c to keep my oven at the appropriate temps to help if I had a long period in between pressing on a particular day.

You will see an immediate difference in your pressings. You may need to lower your high temp if you changed it? The warm up program will most likely take care of the inaccuracies you were seeing?

One of the Zubler guys could explain the reasons better than me, but I know it worked for me, and the oven was designed that way;)

If you never make a decision then your possibilities are endless.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Make sure when you start the warm up program, that you select "down" when it beeps at 700c. You then immediately press "up". That just initiates the program. It runs like it's going to press a ring etc..

Just a heads up. Should be in the manual.

If you never make a decision then your possibilities are endless.

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
Thanks for your help Nicely, I'll report back on my next pressing

Zubler USA

Zubler USA

Reaction score
Sikboy / Max / All.

I am available if you contact me directly. I can help you more quickly. I am even on this network on Saturday!!! Give me a call, email me.

Sikboy, Orange peel is typically an indication of overheating. Check your burnout temperature and make sure you get in touch with me. If I recall correctly you are using the traditional pressing parameters, that being the case, sprueing is more critical and Ivoclar seems to have modified their suggested technique. They seem to have people sprueing more toward the inside of the ring. While this can decrease surface issues and improve reaction layer, it can exacerbate short pressings and make sprueing more tricky.

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
I just pressed a job after talking to Chris on the phone. I had the wrong settings in my Vario 300.
I was using the normal press cycle and not the i-press.

It still had a short press on the margin side where I sprue. Much less reaction (none) layer.
I have a dark spot exactly where I sprue and I've taken pics of it. Can anyone chime in on this?
uhy3avy5.jpg
u7ypyhyt.jpg
enypu5up.jpg
aby8eby8.jpg
gunype2e.jpg
utabuteq.jpg
a6yje2a2.jpg

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Use a larger gauge sprue and make your connection larger. You're restricting the flow of the molten glass into the pattern.

Zubler USA

Zubler USA

Reaction score
Glad to hear you had improvement after our discussion. I second 2thm8kr's assertion. I believed I mentioned this on the phone. Use a larger mm sprue. You also may want to consider shortening the length, but we should talk about this before hand. I assume the surface problems are gone? No orange peel? Still, some reaction layer should be coming through. Make sure you are not using alox at a high pressure to get rid of the reaction layer as this could also chip your margins.

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
I'm using 3mm sprue and it is quite short already . I'll get some 5mm sprue for my next press. Very minimal reaction layer and orange peel. It's a massive difference compared to before so I'm happy about that.

I'm shooting alox at 2 bar to divest as my glass bead air hose is broken. The margin is a little short on the sprue side only but no where near as much as before. Margin is fine everywhere else

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
I'm still getting a dark spot where I'm spruing the job.

I've tried shortening the sprue and using a thicker one but no effect. Does anyone have any ideas what's going on?
nysa6u7a.jpg

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Could be that the sprues going on too perpendicular. try getting it straight on as possible to create the most natural flow

user name

user name

Reaction score
I dont know if that crown was invested by itself, but you can help both problems (margin and gray) with one trick...Always sprue up an extra pattern that extends just past the highest point of your other patterns. I wind a piece of 14ga wax rope around the end of my instrument so I have a coil. Attach it to the sprue base and make sure that it is a bit taller than your crown. because of its height and coiled length, it will take longer to fill and it will keep the pressure on the plunger after your crown pattern is filled.

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
I have a sprue on the opposite side of the ring about the same height as the pattern but I'm spruing the job at about a 30 degree angle.

uba8egep.jpg

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
Yeah baby! Got my surround sound set up. Gotta have my tunes to get me through the day.

Zubler USA

Zubler USA

Reaction score
Hi Sikboy,

I am in Germany right now with our ceramist, he looked at your picture and gave me some new ideas. I will need to get in contact with you directly. Email me so we can get some information from you.

Chris

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
Chris, I sent you an email. Thanks

Top Bottom