Zirkonzahn or medit?

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Single-Flute Wax/PMMA tool. I have always wanted to try that.
Never heard of Acurata Company. Looks good.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
Ive had a zz m5 for 6 years now and milled tens of thousands of units its very good and honestly whether its 5 micron accurate or 20 micron makes know difference. its the size of the burs and the angles you can mill at that makes the coping accurate and this is where the zz is better than the rest it can mill things the others just cant I know because im looking for another mill and when I want to mill a complex job the others either cant do it or you have to spend twice as much and its an open system not semi open I export files all the time to get things milled outside metal and emax because my mill is always going we reached full capacity with it.My colleges who have them zz have found the same thing one has just bought a second m5 because he cant get anything else to do the job.

L

le-ant

Reaction score
I use a medit scanner coupled with a Roland and Sum3D. I use Zirkonzahn, Sagemax and Zenostar. Complete success with each. Can't mill the NP like your wanting, but I found my milled wax frameworks didn't warp? No explanation as of why? I figured the fact I didn't apply heat in joint areas by cutting and re sticking etc..
Are zirkonzahn blanks compatible with the Roland?

L

le-ant

Reaction score
Cheers everyone for the replies. Turns out it's as clear as mud! ;-) I'll try and get some jobs done on both systems and compare. Zirkonzahn have a workshop coming up in the UK, might be worth a look. Anyone on here in the UK milling with the Roland?

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Are you sure the M5 was even for sale Six years ago???

I thought it came out just 3-4 years ago at the most! (2011 I think?)

Last edited:
Omar B. Hansson

Omar B. Hansson

Reaction score
Hi all. Our lab is looking at scanners and milling machines. We've been looking at zirkonzahn and medit at the moment and need a little help choosing. On paper both scanners are accurate to 10 micron, but I've heard that in independent testing the zirkonzahn scanner wasn't as accurate as advertised. Can anyone confirm this? I like that the zirkonzahn system is a complete system, but I'm looking for the most accurate scanner for a reasonable outlay. If the medit identica blue is more accurate, can anyone suggest a good milling machine for wax, zirconia and titanium? The Roland dwx-50 looks good but as far as I know, can't mill titanium, but some of the the zirkonzahn milling machines can. Any input would be much appreciated!!
Dear Le-ant,
We went with 3 shape as we bought the scanner through Fusion Scandinavia. It dose not matter which system you use 3shape or exocad both are good. If you go with 3shape you have to pay yearly fee for updates on the program. For exocad you can choose. But if you need update fx. after 2 years you must pay for 2 years. And if you wait 3 years you pay for 3 years.
We ended buying Roland milling machine. I would check there service in you area before you buy it. Can you they deliver tool and spare part fast? There service for Scandinavia is bad fx.
Roland is a good and we mill zirconia and wax.
Milling metal is a different story. In my view it takes to long for the smaller machine. We send those jobs out and get them lazer sintered it is less expensive. But if you want to mill metal take a look at imes-icor. They are made to mill metal. I visited them in Germany (1 1/2 year ago) it took 40 min to mill a coping with I 450.
(Why not send it out and pay 18 Euro for a coping plus shipping.) I you need more info. just send me a mail.

Regards
Omar

G

grantoz

Reaction score
the m5 has been out for sale late 2008 in Europe this is where I purchased it I thought I had it 5-6 years but in fact ive had it 4.5 years my bad.i had a seniors moment I think you will find it was released in the states a bit later.

L

le-ant

Reaction score
Dear Le-ant,
We went with 3 shape as we bought the scanner through Fusion Scandinavia. It dose not matter which system you use 3shape or exocad both are good. If you go with 3shape you have to pay yearly fee for updates on the program. For exocad you can choose. But if you need update fx. after 2 years you must pay for 2 years. And if you wait 3 years you pay for 3 years.
We ended buying Roland milling machine. I would check there service in you area before you buy it. Can you they deliver tool and spare part fast? There service for Scandinavia is bad fx.
Roland is a good and we mill zirconia and wax.
Milling metal is a different story. In my view it takes to long for the smaller machine. We send those jobs out and get them lazer sintered it is less expensive. But if you want to mill metal take a look at imes-icor. They are made to mill metal. I visited them in Germany (1 1/2 year ago) it took 40 min to mill a coping with I 450.
(Why not send it out and pay 18 Euro for a coping plus shipping.) I you need more info. just send me a mail.

Regards
Omar

L

le-ant

Reaction score
Hi Omar,
Thanks for the reply. It looks like out sourcing our metal for laser sintering is going to be our best bet. For smaller jobs we'll just mill out of wax. Do you do full arch zirconias on your Roland? If so, how are the fits?
Regards
Anthony

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Good info Omar,

Apparently the exocad users/sellers on here forgot to mention about their update fees.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Hi all. Our lab is looking at scanners and milling machines. We've been looking at zirkonzahn and medit at the moment and need a little help choosing. On paper both scanners are accurate to 10 micron, but I've heard that in independent testing the zirkonzahn scanner wasn't as accurate as advertised. Can anyone confirm this? I like that the zirkonzahn system is a complete system, but I'm looking for the most accurate scanner for a reasonable outlay. If the medit identica blue is more accurate, can anyone suggest a good milling machine for wax, zirconia and titanium? The Roland dwx-50 looks good but as far as I know, can't mill titanium, but some of the the zirkonzahn milling machines can. Any input would be much appreciated!!

You need to look at it as a tool. That's all they are, a tool to achieve the desired end result. Everybody has there own opinion on what tools work better. Scott is correct when he says there are some problems with 3Shape. The accuracy is less than perfect.(meaning you probably wouldn't do a bar case on it. Although I have done a few "Izir" style bridges which looked and fit amazing) You do pay a yearly license fee. But there are some positives. It's extremely user friendly. I've used Dental Wings, Straumann, and Cercon. 3Shape has been by far the more superior of the bunch. Now I have no knowledge of Exocad, but from what I hear it's a great software, but instead of yearly fees you pay to update if desired. And for milling, you can't go wrong with the Roland. We started milling with one DWX-50 about 2 years ago, since then we added another. They are little work horses. Yes they can't mill metal, but they mill zr, wax, and pmma just fine. The support is amazing. The team at CAP, and Glen from Roland have helped me out with the problems I have had in the 2 years. From replacing a mill, to servicing the mill and getting it back within a week. Here we use 3Shape with Roland mills. Haven't had any problems with the CAD or CAM, other than user error. I've had my 3Shape for like 4 years, works just like it did when we first got it. Now that's not to say we haven't updated our pc's. To do some of the more complex cases you need a better pc than what is provided with 3Shape. You should go to a lab or a distributor of each scanner, and mill you are looking at purchasing. Test them out. Yeah Exocad might be the better scanner, but if you don't like the functionality compared to 3Shape then go with which one feels better to YOU. my 2 cents.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Good info Omar,

Apparently the exocad users/sellers on here forgot to mention about their update fees.
Dose it cost more than $2,400 Annually to update comparing to 3shape?,

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
a few of them have total free updates some charge 600 up 1200 dollar in europe

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Which ones?.

first of all sometimes they charge the money although for updates and support look at the exocad site for partners and send the partners a mail it changes every time

L

le-ant

Reaction score
You it as a tool. That's all they are, a tool to achieve the desired end result. Everybody has there own opinion on what tools work better. Scott is correct when he says there are some problems with 3Shape. The accuracy is less than perfect.(meaning you probably wouldn't do a bar case on it. Although I have done a few "Izir" style bridges which looked and fit amazing) You do pay a yearly license fee. But there are some positives. It's extremely user friendly. I've used Dental Wings, Straumann, and Cercon. 3Shape has been by far the more superior of the bunch. Now I have no knowledge of Exocad, but from what I hear it's a great software, but instead of yearly fees you pay to update if desired. And for milling, you can't go wrong with the Roland. We started milling with one DWX-50 about 2 years ago, since then we added another. They are little work horses. Yes they can't mill metal, but they mill zr, wax, and pmma just fine. The support is amazing. The team at CAP, and Glen from Roland have helped me out with the problems I have had in the 2 years. From replacing a mill, to servicing the mill and getting it back within a week. Here we use 3Shape with Roland mills. Haven't had any problems with the CAD or CAM, other than user error. I've had my 3Shape for like 4 years, works just like it did when we first got it. Now that's not to say we haven't updated our pc's. To do some of the more complex cases you need a better pc than what is provided with 3Shape. You should go to a lab or a distributor of each scanner, and mill you are looking at purchasing. Test them out. Yeah Exocad might be the better scanner, but if you don't like the functionality compared to 3Shape then go with which one feels better to YOU. my 2 cents.
Thanks for the advice. I've been offered a chance to see the scanner I'm interested in, but as of yet no offers to see the Roland in action. I'll keep looking :)