Zirconia to Titanium interface table top mill

Sydceramist

Sydceramist

Reaction score
Has anyone had consistent results milling a Zirconia abutment to a Titanium interface using a table top mill such as ezmill VHF, imes, Roland etc 4 or 5 axis.

B

bigbrush

Reaction score
Yes we do it all the times. Mashine is a VHF with DS-Cam same as Wieland Mini. It works perfect if you have a close look on the angle. But there are also sme tricks.
good luck

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Roland DWX-50 no issues milling the Glidewell library.

Sum3D no tricks AT ALL!

4 or 5 axis doesnt matter unless your milling strategy has a remove undercut feature then you need the continuous 5axiz milling feature, only a 5axis.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Singles are no problem for the mini. Screw retained bridges on the other hand are impossible :(

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Impossible in what way john? Impossible on the Mini?

Yes, because you will be unable to get the insertion direction for each access hole the same. I have not found a way to do it unless the fixtures are extremely parallel to one another which is rarely the case.

What I would like to be able to do is have the ability to do a dual mill where the tilt angle could be adjusted after the initial mill by marking the disk and then rotating the puck in the fixture and adjusting the tilt angle to fit the requirements. This would allow almost anything to be milled in a 4x if I am thinking clearly.

Truth is, my plans are another new mill this next quarter, I am shopping now.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Is the mini a 4axis? then you can not but you should be able to on a 5axis machine no problem. Depends on the angle of the implant and insertion direction.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Is the mini a 4axis? then you can not but you should be able to on a 5axis machine no problem. Depends on the angle of the implant and insertion direction.

Yes mini is 4x and yes insertion angle is the issue with multiple splinted fixtures.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Yes such a pain to work with. When I do angled abutments in the DWX-50 I have to increase the offset to like 3.1 so there is more room between the outer wall and the abutment for the 1mm to get into the undercut areas and not colide with the outer wall.

Sydceramist

Sydceramist

Reaction score
As a compromise to the limitations of the 4 axis mill, I was thinking of altering the Ti interfaces/abutments to better suit the desired parallel parameters for the mill. Is this to much of a compromise by reducing the cemented area between Zirconia to the Titanium.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
As a compromise to the limitations of the 4 axis mill, I was thinking of altering the Ti interfaces/abutments to better suit the desired parallel parameters for the mill. Is this to much of a compromise by reducing the cemented area between Zirconia to the Titanium.

Are you using glidewells interfaces? They have a 3mm and 6mm high interface, I really wouldn't adjust the interface at all. I have in the past, but that was because Glidewell did have there interface and ZR hybrid bases on point. just slight touching of the corners and that was about it.

Why do you want to adjust the interface?

Sydceramist

Sydceramist

Reaction score
So that a 4 axis mill can mill it with diverging angle/paths.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
So that a 4 axis mill can mill it with diverging angle/paths.

It has nothing to do with draw, it has to do with the fact that the access holes will be at a different insertion angle,

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Even if you alter the metal interface, it wont change how the abutment is milled, due to the interface on the abutment is still the same. I have also milled plenty of abutments on our Icore 340i 4axis with no issue.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
The only way to mill implant bridges is on a 5 axis unless the implants are perefectly paralel or the disc gets turned in the holder.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
The only way to mill implant bridges is on a 5 axis unless the implants are perefectly paralel or the disc gets turned in the holder.

You mean 4axis? You can mill in a 5axis no problem straight or angled, hence the fifth axis. Imes has a technique where you rotate the disk XX amount of degrees according to the retaining ring that has degree markers. But I personally hesitate to try it.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
It is like a 3+1 deal, on the Imes you have to manually loosen the ring then turn the disc a XX amount of degree then tighten and continue. It is nice that the machine in the video does it for you, much more accurate that way. Definitely not a true 5axis but it gets the job done.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
is that the 240i you are talking about From imes? I don't know if i would bother with a four axis.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Yes, because you will be unable to get the insertion direction for each access hole the same. I have not found a way to do it unless the fixtures are extremely parallel to one another which is rarely the case.

What I would like to be able to do is have the ability to do a dual mill where the tilt angle could be adjusted after the initial mill by marking the disk and then rotating the puck in the fixture and adjusting the tilt angle to fit the requirements. This would allow almost anything to be milled in a 4x if I am thinking clearly.

Truth is, my plans are another new mill this next quarter, I am shopping now.
Milling these cases absolutely requires a 5 axis mill. The fifth axis will accommodate the different angles of the screw access holes.
IMG_0023.jpg
IMG_0208.jpg
Roland DWX50 does this quite nicely.
IMG_0208.jpg IMG_0023.jpg

Last edited: