Zirconia Repair

mert_k

mert_k

Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anybody have experience regarding repair of minor chippings at margins of sintered zirconia crowns? Possible? or should it be re-milled?

I heard that some manage it with shoulder porcelain but not sure..

All the best, Mert

user name

user name

Reaction score
You run a milling center, correct? Youre considering trying to 'patch' work? i would say thats the first step to going out of business. Bad idea.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
You can use margin porcelain, you could press the margin, or press the complete crown.

mert_k

mert_k

Reaction score
You run a milling center, correct? Youre considering trying to 'patch' work? i would say thats the first step to going out of business. Bad idea.
"patching" the work?? :(
user_name, you made me felt so ashamed.. I did not take the situation like that, actually.
What we do here is throwing out that kind of work to rubbish bin, and repeat the procedure.
I was just trying to learn -with an innocent intention to avoid wasting out resources- if any of us knows some reliable and "decent" way to manage such complications, that's it..

I will start with throwing away my laser welder immediately today. no more patchworks.

user name

user name

Reaction score
If your machine is chipping your stock, Id ask Scott (***) for some advice on tweeking the tool. Like RMK was saying..if youre finishing the crowns, you could easily get by pressing over, but as a milling center if your tools arent doing the job correctly, make them do it. Dont accept less than perfect.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
I have used margin porcelain with no problems .

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i dry mill zirconia, to avoid chipping i insert a new bur, works as the best solution for me. every 1000 units whether the bur is dull or not, its replaced. so far we've gone through a half dozen sets of burs since we got the machine in August 2011.

user name

user name

Reaction score
i dry mill zirconia, to avoid chipping i insert a new bur, works as the best solution for me. every 1000 units whether the bur is dull or not, its replaced. so far we've gone through a half dozen sets of burs since we got the machine in August 2011.

Did you start doing this as a result of chipping? have you found any mfrg.s Zir to be more prone to chipping?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score

1000 units? You mean 100? If not, what buts are you using and what machine?

Techy

Techy

Reaction score
1000 units!!!!!

How is this possible?

Where can I buy these tools from?

Thanks

Adam

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Sierra dental tools, nano diamond coated set.

and i find Heaney and Talladium to be very chippy. especially with more translucency. spindle speed is about 30k rpm, machine does not feed more than 2000 mm/s though it is capable of 2500. nice smooth flow, slow speed, perfect edges as long as the bur is kept clean and safe and not abused.

and i do mean 1000. Sierra advertises 1500 units, but we retire burs early. better safe than sorry.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Emuge sells the same tools for under 1/2 the cost of Sierra.
(Black Diamond coated)

Just saying....

IDItools.com has coated tools even cheaper!
(Gold color coating, not diamond)

Sierra is a rip-off!

JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
IDItools... Is that anything like ISItools? They were out of Korea, or Asia, as well and didn't even start to compare to the longevity of the Sierra tools.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
IDITools are not the right size length of flute for my milling strategy.

looking at emuge tools now. dont see anything resembling my current sierra tools, care to help me out ?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
IDITools are not the right size length of flute for my milling strategy.

looking at emuge tools now. dont see anything resembling my current sierra tools, care to help me out ?

I don't believe ya. What tool do you think you need?

A simple ball? IDI has them in 2 and 4 flute versions.

I guess you are cutting dry? Right? Go with the 2 flute ball mill.

If you see flutes running higher than you expect, then it could be a good thing to help evacuate material. That tool would be more expensive to manufature. It will mill the exact same as a Round ball shape. I promise.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
did not see that link on emuge.com lol

in any case, they still dont have the right set of tools for the strategy (that i cannot change)

i require cutters of the following dimensions for finishing: 2 flutes, 1mm dia, 8mm cutter length, with the ring. for roughing same cutter but 2.5mm dia.

so i COULD get a roughing bur, but not a finishing bur. and at that we are looking to get a strategy for .3mm superfine finishing. we're waiting to hear back about its availability.

i doubt i'd save much anyway, having it shipped to Canada what with our taxes and duties coming from the US.

also i didnt see any IDI tools with the ring, nor any 2.5mm burs.

so what i save in the short run i might pay more for in the long run... this doesnt seem right to me.