Zimmer implant library for 3shape

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I just noticed that Zimmer has now made their implant library available to 3shape users. This is the module that is offered with their new ZFX Evolution scanner. Has anyone purchased this for their 3shape? I am also interested in anyone's experiences with Zimmer's milling facility in Carlsbad Ca. Does anyone know what the cost of the module is? Custom abutment fees from their milling center?

I currently have the Straumann scanner. I have accounts who use a lot of Camlog abutments and the only places I've found where you can get a custom Titanium Camlog abutment is Atlantis, and now through Zimmer (at least that is what they advertise). If this is possible, I may end up with a 3shape since they also have the Straumann workflow available. It seems that most of the big hitters approach 3shape with these things making them the most versatile and open scanner. I'm not trying to make a plug for 3shape here, but that is what I'm seeing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
My $.02, you can make your own implant libraries. I'm an exocad user, but if you get their blessing or know a 3Shape higher up you could probably make your own library for that system too.

Straumann interfaces are a little trickier than some of the others, especially the tissue level, but if you find a milling center that has a good CAM person this may not be the case. (I don't do a lot of Straumann). Before you jump into something, DIG, with due diligence. It may not have the Straumannn mark on it, but you can find quality abutments that fit as good or better than stock parts, measured with digital calipers. If you're looking for factory parts at your client's request than 3shape may be your best bet.??

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Thanks 2thm8kr but the DW software has a proprietary file extension and I'm not tech-savvy enough to work around this. I have a friend who had the DDG library for exocad and he had some Camlog's milled for me but I wasn't thrilled with the quality of the finished product. Nothing to do with the design, just the mill. I don't like sending to Atlants but they do have a nice abutment. Costly but nice.

From what I read the Zimmer mill is pretty sweet. I just don't know how expensive their abutments are. And here again, I don't think they have a library for DW...just 3shape and Exocad.

I also understand that Glidewell has Camlog in their library but here again it is only for 3shapers. It's almost like a conspiracy. :banghead:

CreDes

CreDes

Reaction score
Their abutments are nice. The titanium fee is about $180 and I don't remember the zirconia abutment cost. I have never done one. The titanium abutments also have the secondary threads which are a nice feature.

CreDes

CreDes

Reaction score
No, the threads are the same as the Zimmer stock abutments have. They are internal and actually keep the screw in the abutment. They can be used to back the abutment out of the mouth with their special tool also.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I did not know that . I am sure that's a feature but in the lab I hate those things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ter01475

ter01475

Reaction score
If you have a cares scanner for your Straumann work...use the open portion of the software and get scan bodies from CMC and send your Camlog scans to them. We also have a ZFX scanner and software...the titanium abutments are very nice and cost around the $180.00....Zirconia abutments are more and take 2-3 weeks to get....so we very rarely get Zirconia from Zimmer. Zimmer customer support is a real problem also....but they do a nice job and that is the only way to get a "hex lock abutment"

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
If you have a cares scanner for your Straumann work...use the open portion of the software and get scan bodies from CMC and send your Camlog scans to them. We also have a ZFX scanner and software...the titanium abutments are very nice and cost around the $180.00....Zirconia abutments are more and take 2-3 weeks to get....so we very rarely get Zirconia from Zimmer. Zimmer customer support is a real problem also....but they do a nice job and that is the only way to get a "hex lock abutment"

Thanks for the info but I'm not a fan of CMC. Had issues in the past with abutments not fitting. I really like aspects of the ZFX but customer support and turn around time plays such a big role in theses things. Thanks for the heads up.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
I don't understand why you would spent the $$ on their scanner when you could simply buy a scanner from 3shape... have the abutment done at argen for a fraction of the cost... not to mention the ability to do others like straumann, biomet, nobel, imp direct, friadent-xive, astra tech, MIS, BIO, Biohorizon, astra-tech

we have the nobel library (almost worthless... split file errors)
biomet 3i's
and argens.... we send 99% of everything to argen

maybe i'm off base here

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I don't understand why you would spent the $$ on their scanner when you could simply buy a scanner from 3shape... have the abutment done at argen for a fraction of the cost... not to mention the ability to do others like straumann, biomet, nobel, imp direct, friadent-xive, astra tech, MIS, BIO, Biohorizon, astra-tech

we have the nobel library (almost worthless... split file errors)
biomet 3i's
and argens.... we send 99% of everything to argen

maybe i'm off base here

I think the FDA just threw a curve ball at the 3shape libraries. I wouldn't doubt this being some sort corporate espionage. All the major players vying for the #1 position. Lots of money at stake and the industry is in its infancy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
I think the FDA just threw a curve ball at the 3shape libraries. I wouldn't doubt this being some sort corporate espionage. All the major players vying for the #1 position. Lots of money at stake and the industry is in its infancy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you are way off base there... you are basing your statement on what exactly?
implant studio just received FDA approval...
and, if there any curve balls, every implant manufacturer would play a part.... and I simply don't see that happening,

companys like biomet, nobel, and zimmer rely on 3shape users to design and send them abutments, bars and bridges to fabricate... and many of the major players are scrambling to figure S* out. zimmer is now actively targeting chain practices, and trying to get on board with bars

DENTSPLY has screwed up leaving ankylos out there in the cold

Nobel (for example) can't seem to figure out how to run a split file in v 2.9.9.5... you have to use an earlier version, the update won't happen till spring. they are also listening to the European market, and since split files aren't done there much, have missed a huge market.
Nobel thinks a little too highly of their own system... in the last 100 abutments I've sent them 2 Branemarks (zirconia) simply because no one else does them.

I've sent 3 or 4 LDE's to Biomet because they have the scan cap... but otherwise, why would I send them there and pay 50% more?
Argen can mill the exact abutment and a restoration to go with it (both units for less than one abutment)

Strauman? why would I send a file to them when I can have the design control and have an abutment back in 2 days with a restoration right there with it that fits perfectly? no thanks.... i'm a big believer of reducing my fk around time to zero.

also, the term "3shape librarys" refers to what? companys build their library for 3shape users, not the other way around... and everyone out there is trying to get in line and keep up with updates...

how does it not make sense to have one system that does almost everything... easily?

Top Bottom