Zimmer fixture cracked

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
saw an intraoral picture yesterday of a zimmer fixture (obviously in the mouth) that had been there for a few years. the fixture itself has broken. I have never seen anything like it. it cracked from a sidewall, through one side of the internal hex, down into the screw chamber, and across to the other side. I didn't get to see any xrays of it, just the intraoral picture....crazy. the surgeon, a general dentist, and myself had never seen an actual fixture break. I cant even imagine how it would have broken.

**edit** this is a titanium fixture!

Last edited:
Axis Dental Milling

Axis Dental Milling

Reaction score
Zirconia fixture?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
saw an intraoral picture yesterday of a zimmer fixture (obviously in the mouth) that had been there for a few years. the fixture itself has broken. I have never seen anything like it. it cracked from a sidewall, through one side of the internal hex, down into the screw chamber, and across to the other side. I didn't get to see any xrays of it, just the intraoral picture....crazy. the surgeon, a general dentist, and myself had never seen an actual fixture break. I cant even imagine how it would have broken.

**edit** this is a titanium fixture!
What size platform? I've seen a few small Replace fractured and a small 3.0 can remember the type.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
What size platform? I've seen a few small Replace fractured and a small 3.0 can remember the type.
looked like a 4mm or 5mm. def not a small one.

Axis Dental Milling

Axis Dental Milling

Reaction score
Wow.... pretty amazing to me man Dontknow

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Wow.... pretty amazing to me man Dontknow
we were/are all baffled here too.
I told the surgeon to let me know what he thinks when he sees it in person (it was one that he placed years ago)

doug

doug

Reaction score
That was a problem years ago with them. The screw would loosen and the entire abutment and crown would work like a pile-driver and mushroom the top of the implant. Eventually it would fracture. There is not fix for it, either bury it or remove it. I have a case coming through now that may have the same issue.

Top Bottom