• GOOD Idear

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • BAD Idear

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
BlakeHarting

BlakeHarting

Reaction score
What's the recommendation on an upper lateral zi maryland bridge? GOOD idear... or BAD idear?? I hear Panavia can bond zirconia, but I also hear that chupacrabra exists.

In advance I will say thanks, and you guys are smart and awesome :D

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
What's the recommendation on an upper lateral zi maryland bridge? GOOD idear... or BAD idear?? I hear Panavia can bond zirconia, but I also hear that chupacrabra exists.

In advance I will say thanks, and you guys are smart and awesome :D
I'd be nervous without knowing more about the design. The connector to the wings is where you need to look for the answer.
Chupacubra exits, it's just that no one has seen one yet while not on peyote.

Baobabtree

Baobabtree

Reaction score
I have done a few of these now, and have one in the works at the moment, a good connector is a prerequisite. I also coat the cement gap of the wing with lustre paste so that I can etch it at dispatch. My client who likes these, cleans the fit surface with ivoclean and cements with relyx ultimate.

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
I don't think you can bond zr.

BlakeHarting

BlakeHarting

Reaction score
I have done a few of these now, and have one in the works at the moment, a good connector is a prerequisite. I also coat the cement gap of the wing with lustre paste so that I can etch it at dispatch. My client who likes these, cleans the fit surface with ivoclean and cements with relyx ultimate.

What would you define as a good connector? The adjacent teeth are unprepped but there's about 5mm of vertical space before bite starts hitting.

Alsoo, "coat the cement gap?" How much of a cement gap? So you just put a thin coat and stain bake it before it goes out? And the wings still fit intimately on the model?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
What would you define as a good connector? The adjacent teeth are unprepped but there's about 5mm of vertical space before bite starts hitting.

Alsoo, "coat the cement gap?" How much of a cement gap? So you just put a thin coat and stain bake it before it goes out? And the wings still fit intimately on the model?
Evaluate the connector with the same metrics as if it were a standard pontic on normal a 3unit bridge. The more you have incisal-apical, the less you need labial-palatal in a near 2:1 ratio vert is going to be stron.....Waitaminute why in the world am I telling you all of this? Ignore that last sentence, I got the "Special Blend" this morning instead of decaf. WHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhahahahaaaa! uh oh

Baobabtree

Baobabtree

Reaction score

A connector greater than 9sq mm is best, the height is very important and should be a minimum of 3mm, when plotting the margin for wing bring it as far interstitially as you can depending on the aesthetic outcome, so that you can get a good connector between the wing and the pontic. As far as the cement gap goes there are couple of ways of doing it, either increase it by .1 in the software or you could paint a layer of die relief on the model prior to scanning. As long as you apply the lustre paste within the space that is milled and not on the surfaces that contact the tooth it shouldn't affect the fit. Apply the paste either before you build up or in your glaze cycle, I prefer the 1st one.

Attachments

• DD-170327-2_SC_STATION_CAD_UI_1_1491399961299.jpg
    DD-170327-2_SC_STATION_CAD_UI_1_1491399961299.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 87
  • DD-170327-2_SC_STATION_CAD_UI_1_1491399876997.jpg
    DD-170327-2_SC_STATION_CAD_UI_1_1491399876997.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 85
BlakeHarting

BlakeHarting

Reaction score
Maryland Bridge2.JPG Maryland Bridge1.JPG

... thought I would add the final product. Constructive criticism is welcome. Praise is welcome as well. Ha ha.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
View attachment 26058 View attachment 26059

... thought I would add the final product. Constructive criticism is welcome. Praise is welcome as well. Ha ha.
Thanks for bringing it all the way around. Nice to see how well it turned out. Did you have any trouble with the GP as far as explaining the need for the wings to be thicker than if it were pfm?

With the wing shapes, does that look like an albino or inverted batsignal to anyone else? Tabman?

kimba

kimba

Reaction score
Nice result,
I missed this thread to begin with , but for what it's worth, I have done a number of these with good results have always kept to a single wing. The theory being that the adjacent teeth will move independently in function, so 2 wings will be more likely to debond as they have more stress . 1 wing will move with tooth it is bonded to. Having said that, I am not aware of any research or studies to back this claim, its just what my clients and I agree on. I am not criticizing your design, just giving another perspective

G

grantoz

Reaction score
we have done many zi marylands some with a lustre paste fitting surface some using zi primer .i have found they either work for ages or not at all. once it falls out start thinking about a conventional bridge or an implant.I would have one in my mouth some of them look great and if it doesnt work no harm no foul.Kimba there is studies supporting the one wing theory but from a long long time ago in a land long forgotten.

French Cadman

French Cadman

Reaction score
2016-112.png

2016-111.png

dsc00021.jpg

dsc00031.jpg

If you have the right bond you should also have good balls or a canadian grap ! Laugh

Last edited:
BlakeHarting

BlakeHarting

Reaction score
Nice result,
I missed this thread to begin with , but for what it's worth, I have done a number of these with good results have always kept to a single wing. The theory being that the adjacent teeth will move independently in function, so 2 wings will be more likely to debond as they have more stress . 1 wing will move with tooth it is bonded to. Having said that, I am not aware of any research or studies to back this claim, its just what my clients and I agree on. I am not criticizing your design, just giving another perspective

Thanks everyone!

Yeah, I had heard about the one wing theory- and it totally makes sense- but I was more afraid of it bonding at all. Do you think one of those wings would be strong enough to hold??

If you have the right bond you should also have good balls or a canadian grap ! Laugh

That looks awesome French! Those wings look really thin, too. Are they that much thinner than mine?

we have done many zi marylands some with a lustre paste fitting surface some using zi primer .i have found they either work for ages or not at all. once it falls out start thinking about a conventional bridge or an implant.I would have one in my mouth some of them look great and if it doesnt work no harm no foul.Kimba there is studies supporting the one wing theory but from a long long time ago in a land long forgotten.

I ended up using regular porcelain baked on a bond bake cycle. I figured that would be the stickiest. I read multiple threads on here- some said lustre paste some said porc slurry- I decided porc.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Press in Emax for a better bond. Just don't make those stupid wings.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
It looks great, unfortunately the true measure of success is longevity and the track record of MD bridges sucks. Its a short term solution until they choose to do an implant or a conventional 3 unit bridge.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Just tell 'em to place an implant instead...;)
I make quite a few marylands for adolescents who will have implants in the future. Prepped wings destroy the adjacent teeth where modified cingulum preps can be better restored and idealized.
Emax is a perfect material for this procedure.

Last edited:
kimba

kimba

Reaction score
Yeah, I had heard about the one wing theory- and it totally makes sense- but I was more afraid of it bonding at all. Do you think one of those wings would be strong enough to hold??

they seem to. I haven't had any break, touch wood, I have always kept the wings the size you did on the canine, and keep them out of function. From memory , I think all the ones I have done have been laterals.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
So kimba what you are saying is you always need to think laterally.

Top Bottom