Zahn Dental....

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
@Doris A When you order form Zahn, do you have to have a product# ready? If I don't talk to my
inside sales rep. they pretty much want me to have a number for them. I was kinda reprimanded that
I should have it, and was told I should write the numbers down she was giving me for the items

I told her I was a small lab, and didn't keep a book, maybe that's my fault and is what I need to do?
I guess unless I talk with Mary L who just knows me , and looks up my history,
I'll get a little grief for not making their life easier?
You need to get a little edgier my friend. If you aren't going to be a psychopath at least learn to act like one on the phone. Sheesh.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
My very first job in a lab was owned by Healthco, Mass dental Prosthetics in Boston. So many techs form that lab left and went on to be very successful lab owners.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Hi, I was going to stay out of this one as I work for Zahn a division of HS, but decided to jump in. I had worked in small business (owning a lab and other business) for 40ish years and a little over a year ago we sold CAP to HS. Now working in corporate America at HS things are definitely different. And HS is definitely a big company. I think HS is #248 in the fortune 500 companies. What's really interesting, the company has done very very well over a very long period of time. To do this, they must be pleasing customers. On the other hand, we all make mistakes regardless of the size of our business. I for one, would love to have a bundle of opportunities to redo as I look back on my lab ownership days. I know I made many mistakes over the years and i'm sure all of us have.
Not looking to make excuses for HS. The company is big and i have come to know so many really dedicated HS staff that are sincere and are there to help customers. Unfortunately, like in most businesses we don't get it right every time. A shame, yes but we all have made mistakes.
John, I have no clue as to what happened with you and HS in the past. Again, I'm at HS for only a year and it sounds like this was from some time ago. If you would give me the opportunity, I would love to try and make amends as I think you would see us differently today. It's really not about your business but rather your perception. Either way, thanks in advance for your consideration.
Bob

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
@Doris A When you order form Zahn, do you have to have a product# ready? If I don't talk to my
inside sales rep. they pretty much want me to have a number for them. I was kinda reprimanded that
I should have it, and was told I should write the numbers down she was giving me for the items

I told her I was a small lab, and didn't keep a book, maybe that's my fault and is what I need to do?
I guess unless I talk with Mary L who just knows me , and looks up my history,
I'll get a little grief for not making their life easier?
If I don't talk to Crystal, I order online. You shouldn't be reprimanded by anyone when buying their product. I've never had that kind of horrible customer service from them. You should let your rep know about it.

Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer

HMFIC
Reaction score
Hi, I was going to stay out of this one as I work for Zahn a division of HS, but decided to jump in. I had worked in small business (owning a lab and other business) for 40ish years and a little over a year ago we sold CAP to HS. Now working in corporate America at HS things are definitely different. And HS is definitely a big company. I think HS is #248 in the fortune 500 companies. What's really interesting, the company has done very very well over a very long period of time. To do this, they must be pleasing customers. On the other hand, we all make mistakes regardless of the size of our business. I for one, would love to have a bundle of opportunities to redo as I look back on my lab ownership days. I know I made many mistakes over the years and i'm sure all of us have.
Not looking to make excuses for HS. The company is big and i have come to know so many really dedicated HS staff that are sincere and are there to help customers. Unfortunately, like in most businesses we don't get it right every time. A shame, yes but we all have made mistakes.
John, I have no clue as to what happened with you and HS in the past. Again, I'm at HS for only a year and it sounds like this was from some time ago. If you would give me the opportunity, I would love to try and make amends as I think you would see us differently today. It's really not about your business but rather your perception. Either way, thanks in advance for your consideration.
Bob

I miss Neil at Lincoln they got gobbled up by Zahn/schein...anyway you have anything to do with OpenImplants? I've been buying my analogs from them and love the product....Ti analogs.....Im curious about the scan posts for Exocad....when? Its a Waltham address (why I was wondering) and they bill me thru my Zahn account...website store still needs work but Im happy.... they need to anodize them to OEM colors though..

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
I miss Neil at Lincoln they got gobbled up by Zahn/schein...anyway you have anything to do with OpenImplants? I've been buying my analogs from them and love the product....Ti analogs.....Im curious about the scan posts for Exocad....when? Its a Waltham address (why I was wondering) and they bill me thru my Zahn account...website store still needs work but Im happy.... they need to anodize them to OEM colors though..
You probably know, Neil is still around, working at Zahn. He has been really happy, I speak with him often. I also purchased from Neil as he helped set up 1st lab.
Open Implants is a new company that is really focused on making the best parts in the industry. The owner and CEO, Frederic Rapp is European and wanted to focus on engineering and production. Being in Europe he felt he needed a distributor so he went to Zahn and Zahn jumped on board.
OI has made one analog for both conventional impressions as well as digital, enabling labs to reduce inventory. The analog has some other great design features incorporated into the analog. There is a circumferential groove around the top of the analog to help hold down soft tissue once it has been removed. After all these years you wouldn't think there was much one could do with an analog but OI has added 4 or 5 features to make it much better. They have done the same with Ti bases and scan bodies and I know there are a lot of high end, reasonably priced new products coming to this product line. The exocad library was due this week or next. Frederic has also been great to work with. We asked him for a titanium insert that fits the multi abutment and has a DME file, screw and scan body and he got it to us in 6 weeks. I think he will provide the market with what we want and need. If you haven't looked at his other products you should really take a few minutes and do so. openimplants.com. You're right his site and store needs work but I think it in progress.
I'll send him a note on anodizing the analogs. I think it's a great idea.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
When I used them, if I didn't get my normal contact I gave #'s as otherwise we got stuff that was other that what I wanted. I don't mean a sandblaster came instead of sand, but slightly off while being 'right' in some way. And of course it was my fault for not using numbers.

They want you to use #'s so their call volume goes up when they don't have to look it up.

Good point. A big business efficiency.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
You need to get a little edgier my friend. If you aren't going to be a psychopath at least learn to act like one on the phone. Sheesh.

Need to show some teeth? :) I did try to state my case, but she kept over-riding me with I need to, should
have numbers. In the past, I'd call my rep but she was out of town, so I was stuck with the angle of death
and felt like she'd blacklist me send my order via Berlin, and I'd get it in 3 weeks if I didn't cooperate :( :D

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
If I don't talk to Crystal, I order online. You shouldn't be reprimanded by anyone when buying their product. I've never had that kind of horrible customer service from them. You should let your rep know about it.

This time the rep was a little more irritated, maybe it was late on a Friday and she had a bad day?
When this happened before, I did let my rep know, she apologized and said just to call and leave a
message if needed and she would get back to me as soon as she could. In this case, she was out for
the day.

Thank you for your reply, Doris, and for the helpful suggestions :)

N

nickate

Reaction score
WHY THE HECK DO YOU TALK TO MEAN PEOPLE OVER AND OVER? Y'all obviously know your way around a computer. Go to the website, log in and ORDER!

You can search through prior orders and reorder straight from that if a recurring product. I come from a short career in sales and the internet is your friend to avoid people who are not nice when their company has what you need. Remember--- it is the same as working with your dentist accounts.... the representatives of the company usually mimic the companies' overall appreciation of the customer. If the front office is not too nice, chances are neither is their management....or the owners.

N

nickate

Reaction score
Don't bother wasting your valuable time reporting them to management... just go away.
Life is too short to deal with mean people.

elitedentalstudio

elitedentalstudio

Reaction score
Only thing I buy from them is Noritake Products . The rest from Nowak and atlanta Dental

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
I'm so happy this thread got going, however, dissappointed with the posts. I will pass the URL to the president of HS lab division. I hate the disappointments several of you are sharing and I am going to try to change it. I don't think it can happen overnight, but we will see. I I make any significant progress.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I'm so happy this thread got going, however, dissappointed with the posts. I will pass the URL to the president of HS lab division. I hate the disappointments several of you are sharing and I am going to try to change it. I don't think it can happen overnight, but we will see. I I make any significant progress.
I hit Winner instead of Optimist because I think you are actually trying, but I have doubts about anything happening, or it would have already. Upset customers and ex-customers are not something to be worried about when you own so much of the market. It's just not worth the time to care enough to do anything aside from scream at the direct customer contact points instead of change what made the direct customer contacts behave in this manner.

What's needed is to have incentive to change by the culture changing. Instead it's likely that all we'll end up with is upset customers with yelled at contact points who have to somehow keep the same metrics while doing what prevents the metrics from being kept. Like when a doc wants a max/mand all-on-4 set, but only allows 12 mm from ridge to ridge. You can turn the case away, which is what is happening with the upset customer and ex-customer. Only difference? We aren't asking the impossible, just the unlikely.

While you're at it, you might as well send him this one too:
http://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/threads/zahn-and-dsg.25373/

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
I hit Winner instead of Optimist because I think you are actually trying, but I have doubts about anything happening, or it would have already. Upset customers and ex-customers are not something to be worried about when you own so much of the market. It's just not worth the time to care enough to do anything aside from scream at the direct customer contact points instead of change what made the direct customer contacts behave in this manner.

What's needed is to have incentive to change by the culture changing. Instead it's likely that all we'll end up with is upset customers with yelled at contact points who have to somehow keep the same metrics while doing what prevents the metrics from being kept. Like when a doc wants a max/mand all-on-4 set, but only allows 12 mm from ridge to ridge. You can turn the case away, which is what is happening with the upset customer and ex-customer. Only difference? We aren't asking the impossible, just the unlikely.

While you're at it, you might as well send him this one too:
http://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/threads/zahn-and-dsg.25373/

Honestly, I am in a position at Zahn where I know upset customers are a concern all the way up the ladder. This is discussed frequently and much time is put into understanding it. I have just sent an email to several decision makers on possible fixes of the problems brought to light in this thread. I'm anticipating and hopeful for a review meeting of this thread next week.
I also see that you guys that are unhappy are not asking for a set of all on 4's with 12mm of space from Zahn. What is being asked is reasonable. We, Zahn just need to figure out how to provide it.
I just checked out your other thread. I can confirm with 100% that this is just a rumor. There is currently zero intent of a Zahn DSG partnership to be involved in the lab business. DSG is in the space and Zahn currently provides them with products to support production. The same relationship we want to have with all of you, no more no less.

Last edited:
JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I am in a position at Zahn where I know upset customers are a concern all the way up the ladder. This is discussed frequently and much time is put into understanding it. I have just sent an email to several decision makers on possible fixes of the problems brought to light in this thread. I'm anticipating and hopeful for a review meeting of this thread next week.
I also see that you guys that are unhappy are not asking for a set of all on 4's with 12mm of space from Zahn. What is being asked is reasonable. We, Zahn just need to figure out how to provide it.
I just checked out your other thread. I can confirm with 100% that this is just a rumor. There is currently zero intent of a Zahn DSG partnership to be involved in the lab business. DSG is in the space and Zahn currently provides them with products to support production. The same relationship we want to have with all of you, no more no less.
Thanks for the fast response.
I didn't intend that opening post needed to be addressed farther, just that the 2nd thread may allow for a greater view when read with this one.

I hope your weight behind the review and results to cause more traction and action.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
WHY THE HECK DO YOU TALK TO MEAN PEOPLE OVER AND OVER? Y'all obviously know your way around a computer. Go to the website, log in and ORDER!

You can search through prior orders and reorder straight from that if a recurring product. I come from a short career in sales and the internet is your friend to avoid people who are not nice when their company has what you need. Remember--- it is the same as working with your dentist accounts.... the representatives of the company usually mimic the companies' overall appreciation of the customer. If the front office is not too nice, chances are neither is their management....or the owners.

It's easier for me to just say my order over the phone (used to be). I like the online order option, but it's still nice to talk to a rep...those who are
more helpful and have deals they can offer.

I talked to Nowak about a new steamer, and that personal experience was good. She was very helpful and even fun to work with, something
a website can't offer, but I get yours and others here suggestion of doing more online. I may also just end up in buying more from Nowak.

Only thing I buy from them is Noritake Products . The rest from Nowak and atlanta Dental

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why I still use them, Noritake products, as well as their quick in-stock shipping on most things.
Is Zahn the only place you can buy Katana discs?

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I'd rather catheterize myself than talk to someone on the telephone .....
I'd like to be able to text a salesperson.