• Welcome to Dental Lab Network
    1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your opinion please!

Discussion in 'Fixed' started by olwyn, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Affinity
      Question

Affinity Well-Known Member Full Member

With regulations like these, who needs dentists?

• Like Like x 2
    2. CoolHandLuke
      Fiendish

CoolHandLuke Well-Known Member Full Member

sounds like the kind of guy i never want the displeasure of working for. i'd tell him firmly where to shove his 24 hour case.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. rkm rdt
      Artistic

rkm rdt Well-Known Member Donator Full Member

You don't get the pleasure of speaking directly to them. You get the nasal call from the " office manager".

• Like Like x 1
    4. CoolHandLuke
      Fiendish

if that ever happens i will refuse it. one unit is not worth this kind of hassle.

5. rkm rdt
      Artistic

rkm rdt Well-Known Member Donator Full Member

A night in the box for you then.

• Funny Funny x 1
    6. CoolHandLuke
      Fiendish

• Like Like x 1
    7. olwyn
      Cynical

olwyn New Member Full Member

It's never just one job though is it? It could be a client who is worth a lot of money, but they are just hard to work for. The key is to find the right place to draw the line. In this case, this is probably it!

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. JKraver
      Tired

JKraver Well-Known Member Full Member

Make a standard of requirements from the Dr. or charge an admin fee for your time figuring out what he wants. Also specify that FCG will be the go to if there is no material specified. COD the guy if you need to.

9. JKraver
      Tired

I realize it is easy to talk tough on an online forum. End game this type of stuff isn't worth the life it takes out of you.

10. Gru
      No Mood

Gru Well-Known Member Full Member

One lesson I learned from some gurus here past and present was to require a signed Rx and make sure all your terms are outlined on the back with their signature acknowledging the terms. Best protection you can have. As JKraver noted, the default for unspecified types of crowns/alloy/etc. should be stated on the Rx. No Rx, no processing of case until it's received.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. olwyn
      Cynical

Thanks everyone for your input. Although not many people actually answered my question. LOL. But it has been a good discussion and reminder that there are things I could do to prevent this happening to me again. Cheers!

12. JKraver
      Tired

You may have not gotten a direct answer, but the undertone seemed to me to be whatever was higher for your profit ratio. I would say FCG.

13. Sydceramist

Sydceramist Member Full Member

I gave up on Dentists here in OZ!

As Sasha Hein told me leave!

Its the worst place to be a DT

14. grantoz
      Amused

grantoz Active Member Full Member

i think if you do what sasha hein tells you ,it might be time to consider a different profession . sasha couldnt make a go of it in australia but many have from all over the world , just being a good tech doesnt mean you are good at business .no one is going to bow down to anyones greatness and just give you money in this world.i have seen many good techs try and open labs in other countries and they dont succeed because they forget that country already has great techs with a better understanding of the lay of the land.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Sydceramist

Sydceramist Member Full Member

Of course, Dr Sasha has his opinion. The facts are that DT are not registered, the industry has no governing body. The industry had a heathy middle class (quality) its now either high or low, you get the aesthetic cases that are demanding and time consuming. The bread and butter goes somewhere else. Again thats my opinion and assessment.

Problem is as I have ventured into other fields is that you are working for a single client or a few who believe they know everything and are right most of the time, They have a monopoly over you. I now have different clients every week and they listen to me, and if not i dont care because theres tons of work!

16. Al.
      Yeehaw

Al. Well-Known Member Full Member

I agree

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    17. rlhhds

rlhhds Member Full Member

My 2 cents here. I would say PFM because of the what you could call a poor attempt at a shoulder prep. If it was a feather edge prep I would say a FGC. But since he wants it so fast. I will say FGC for my sanity of getting it done when he wants it. But regardless I would have told him no can do on the return time and tell him I could suggest some other labs he could try to see if they can get it done for him in that time.

• Like Like x 1
    18. JMN
      Curious

JMN Christian Member Donator Full Member

@olwyn
      What did end up happening with this one? Did you get a response finally or just wing it?

My sincere suggestion for the next time it happens, and what I just did with a removable case recently:
      Call the office and tell them you are coming by in the morning to either pick up a prescription or deliver the case as you received it so the Doc can better remember what is going on. If there's not one ready when you go, tell them to call when it has a prescription.

I generally (and now always) check every case before leaving the office for a 'script that makes sense and a signature at the bottom. I, too, had to learn it's a lot easier to wait 5 minutes at pickup for answers than to get them later.

Besides you'll actually get to read "Field and Dream" for a few minutes.

• Like Like x 1
    19. olwyn
      Cynical

20. JMN
      Curious

JMN Christian Member Donator Full Member

After finding out how much extra you put into him, he may find some respect for you after trying other places. Either way, his attitude towards you had to go. And looks like it left with him.
      Hang in there,we all understand needing work, but some offices are more stress than you can handle reasonably, and it may put money on the table, but it destroys your quality of life.