Your favorite dentuer wax properties

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I use a set-up wax to hold the teeth in place, then a wax-up wax to carve the setup pretty. Now I like a nice red wax for processing of immediates, I like the ease of seeing the red on the teeth when investing. The old trubyte set-up from the 60-70's held nice and teeth didn't move around then they got cheap, I've been using Barnsdent (800)252-6279 set-up since the mid 80's hold great & I even use if for baseplate rims, their wax-up carves nicely and has a pleasant color, & still go with Yates&Byrd red refined for final waxup around teeth or immediates that the patient doesn't see & it's nice for brux/TMJ/LVI appliances, nice feel & carves and stays how you carve it. & for flexible wax-up the red boils out so nice & clean. In the 70's & 80's Modern had some ethnically wax (purplish & brown) & I have a few boxes left, makes a nice presentation for darker pigmented folks. I keep my working wax in a tupperware with a scented candle (apple this mo),just like the nice smell :flowers:when I putt a sheet out, it's gone by the time I wash & shine:washing:, but it's there for me. Wax a simple thing, how do you like yours?

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
I like Yates & Byrd waxes. I like you, enjoy using the red when no one else will see it. Makes cleaning of the teeth easier to read. Most of the time, however, I use their All Season Wax.

For me, the test is when I warm the wax and then fold it to make a rim. If the wax tears and looks all flaky, then I do not like the wax. If it will bend nicely when I fold it over on itself, after a little warming, then I begin to like the wax. Next is minimal shrinkage and carvability. There was a wax by Nobillium that was good, but Y&B All Season Wax has worked well for me for a long time (even though they changed the inbetween sheets in my last batch - seems like they are keeping a good formula).

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
I use Memphis Dental Manufacturing baseplate wax #2 for everything except bite rims where I use the Corning preformed. I always remove all of the bite rim and set and carve the #2 wax. It comes in pink and red. I will use the read for colorized wax ups.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I use Memphis Dental Manufacturing baseplate wax #2 for everything except bite rims where I use the Corning preformed. I always remove all of the bite rim and set and carve the #2 wax. It comes in pink and red. I will use the read for colorized wax ups.

I had a DDS who make her own bite rims using corning, don't you find the DDS tends to over close with such a sticky soft wax? She would put the wax in a warm bowl of water and sometime Ithink one side wasn't soft correct and the one side would shift. I've never used Memphis it has a nice tack and carves as well?

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
I try to get my docs to trim the soft bite rim wax till there's a mm or two of clearance. Then index the rims ( a couple of 'V's ) and use blue mouse or putty to lock in the relationship.
The Memphis wax works well for me. It's what I use in my waxing video. I hear they actually supply it for several companies that relabel it... don't know who though.

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
I prefer Yates and Bird All Season for set-up of teeth, Gebdi Tribos and Yeti Solidus waxes for veneering the base.
The opacity, color, and flame polishing properties of the veneering waxes work great for esthetic waxing.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I've been using Yates & Bird refined red wax & it is a pleasant red color, nice flexibility easy to carve. Last year a DDS sent me a bite that had nice properties formed well not sticky on the fingers or tools carved easily, and a magnificent Burgundy color, anyone have an idea who makes a sheet wax this color? He gave me the 2 remaining sample sheets but didn't have the mfg, it was quite easy to see contour for LVI & Dawson brux appliances. He had grabbed some samples at the Midwest Chicago show.:juggle::alberteinstein::banghead:

shellbell12

shellbell12

Reaction score
Great topic. I find that the wax is what will make or break me...meaning, I have spent more time figuring out how fast it melts, how quickly it cool, how hard it gets after a number of melting and cooling... I will definitely try the Yates & Bird.

shellbell12

shellbell12

Reaction score
about to do first wax up with Yates and Bird Red Redefined Wax. Oddly excited! Here it goes

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
I am using Blue Dolphins setup wax which stabilizes the teeth....Really they don't move once set.....also use it to support pin tracers...have to have a good base to keep the tracers parallel......Then finish with Metrowax.....which flames nicely and easily carves.

kellyniro98

kellyniro98

Reaction score
BEST wax on the market by far is Nobilium wax get from Nationwide dental. It boils out clean, and very very easy to work with. The teeth dont move once set... and at 30 bucks for a 5 pounder. is just perfect!!

Top Bottom