Yellow Gold PFM ?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Let's assume it is a Straumann bone level implant case. I first work up an estimate on how much the case would be if we went with stock Ti abutments. Then I work up an estimate for Straumann custom Ti abutments and Straumann custom Zir abutments. Finally I get an estimate for Atlantis Ti, Au-hued Ti, and Zir abutments. After I get these costs figured out, I call the doctor and explain to them the options for the case. I would say I spend around 30 mins to do all of this. It used to take me much longer before I had more experience with implant cases.

I should also add that we charge about 40$ per Ti abutment for modification, 60$ per Zir abutment, and we add a 25$ charge if I need to survey the abutments for parallelism. We don't charge any extra to fabricate the crowns for implant cases over what we charge for normal cases.

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
We had this same discussion about "implants as a profit center" in another good thread. Dmonwaxa, LabGuy, Brett, Mark and few others all have slightly different flavors of the same good mentality. There is a "material fee" and a fee for service, expertise, etc. The biggest confusion seems to come from a misunderstanding from the customer when things are perceived as a "markup" which elicits ideas of someone charging for doing nothing (as "user name" said). It's really a matter of clear and open discussion and managing each others expectations.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Let's assume it is a Straumann bone level implant case. I first work up an estimate on how much the case would be if we went with stock Ti abutments. Then I work up an estimate for Straumann custom Ti abutments and Straumann custom Zir abutments. Finally I get an estimate for Atlantis Ti, Au-hued Ti, and Zir abutments. After I get these costs figured out, I call the doctor and explain to them the options for the case. I would say I spend around 30 mins to do all of this. It used to take me much longer before I had more experience with implant cases.

I should also add that we charge about 40$ per Ti abutment for modification, 60$ per Zir abutment, and we add a 25$ charge if I need to survey the abutments for parallelism. We don't charge any extra to fabricate the crowns for implant cases over what we charge for normal cases.

Is the time spent for the estimate accounted for, ie. billed; seperate, or included as the implant service. Are the abutments completely cad, or do you use plastic waxup sleeves to be scanned, and how does tht influence the final cost?

Also why would you need to modify those abutments, are we talking stock?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
We do not bill for the time I spend working up an estimate. That is part of the service we give to our dentists. We do both Cad abutments and waxed up abutments. Our prices on Cad(atlantis) abutments are $280 Ti, $326 Au-hued Ti, and $370 Zir. I believe these prices were derived by adding 30% to the price that Atlantis charges us for the abutments. For Etkon(Straumann) waxed-up abutments we charge $291 for Ti and $380 for Zir. I derived those prices by adding up the material costs(waxing sleeve and abutment),shipping, labor(bout 25 mins to wax and scan),and profit.

I was just talking about stock abutments in reference to modifying. I have one surgeon who sends me all his stock cases for me to just pour up the model, modify the abutment, and then send it back to him so he can send it out to his dentists.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Hi Brett,

Why do you think this surgeon is buying stock abutments? Is it because he is providing the surgical fee and an Abutment fee to his referrals? Perhaps he is just trying to save money by pushing you to make a stock abutment work because he knows you will not charge him much???

It seems that it would be a very good way to make your name known to his referral base if you were to suggest a different approach to abutments.

I have several surgeons that I have converted over to this model,

1)Surgeon places fixture

2)Surgeon uncovers when ready to restore, takes fixture level impression

3)Lab makes soft tissue model, custom abutment, lab temp, as well as a duplicate stone MASTER DIE replica of the abutment

4)Surgeon torques abutment, delivers temp and sends patient back to the referral to fabricate the definitive restoration

5)Referring client removes temp and takes standard crown and bridge impression and sends to the lab with MASTER die to fabricate definitive restoration.

Now this is a win win for everyone, it makes the surgeon look like he is providing truly high end service to his referrals by prescribing custom abutments for everything.

Makes the referring client happy as he doesn't have to muck around taking fixture level impressions and its fast dentistry for him to restore an implant supported/retained unit for a premium price in less time or hassle than a traditional prepped tooth

Makes the lab happy because the duplicate master die is delivered in a preprinted box with the labs name on it to clients that may not use him for their restorative work. Allows the treatment coordinator to Market your lab to their referrals.

For not a huge increase over a stock abutment a lab can partner with a surgeon that wants to grow his referral base and do cooperative marketing with the lab by putting this business model into place.

Just sharing what has worked well in my lab.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
I really dont want to steal anyone's thunder, but I'm thinking we should merge the posts relating to implants to the thread Implants as a profit center. Just to streamline and keep things tidy widy.

G

gold999

Reaction score
I work in Canada and we charge a 50% markup on alloys, even high noble c&b and high noble ceramic alloys. Most of the labs that I know have about the same markup

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I'm with you Gold!

What neck of the woods are you from?