Will This Dude Match???

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
What do you think is it going to go or is it coming back??
Its a tough shade.
Its an Emax.

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

s4.jpg

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_s6.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_s5.jpg

s7.jpg

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_s8.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_s6.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_s5.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_s8.jpg

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
It's coming back.........because the crack line is brown not white......lol
Come on, let's be serious, I bet this guy loves it...I'm curious though, why didn't the Doctor just do a veneer on #7....sure would of helped in shading and would of been some much needed ortho...

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
Al, that is really nice.....REALLY nice! You got some talent my friend, no question about it. I especially like the backlit photo that really shows off the translucency of the e.max.

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
Al, ...no kissing butt here... your stuff is beautiful !

If it doesn't match, then the dentist should clean up the patient's natural tooth with a prophy-jet or some bleaching to match your tooth!

I really like what you are doing. You are talented.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Ok, this is in real time.

The patient came in today. Buy eye in the chair it looked close. I brought him over to the window and it needed a bit of yellow added to the gin and the incisal was very slightly grey. I put a little stain on it and it made a difference but not enough.

So I snapped a couple of picures.

Whoa Nelly! Hold the horses!
Under the light of the flash and a macro lense every pimple shows.

The gin i/3 needs more of a french vanilla shade and my incisal is blue grey and he is brown grey. The white gin stain is way to intense. And my crack is white and his is orange white.

They rescheduled him for Fri week.

I did this in a M01 ingot I will make the changes but I may make another crown using a M02 ingot also because that M02 ingot shade is very close to the gin color and it may bring some orange brown through the incisal. I think if I wax the gin 1/3 almost full contour and lay a bit of A2 over it it will be very close.I do not want to have a 3rd appt and it is worth my time to press another one if I can get this shade in 2 appts.

This is what the crown is going over and it will answer your question Rob about a venner.

So what do you guys think? If I get the gin 1/3 right and a little less of a line of demarcation mabey blend the gin color up a bit do you think the incisal will blend.

I just noticed that the emax essence has a translucent orange grey has anybody used any of that before? Mabey Ill try a thin layer of that on the incisal 1/2 ???

s10.jpg

s9.jpg

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_s11.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_s11.jpg

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Al, you got the right value, but the wrong hue.
Appears from the pictures, like you stated, needs more vanilla yellow (A2). As for the veneer, I meant for a veneer on #7, to straighten out the smile line labially. As for the crackline....I told you so...lol I just can't believe you got the value right (which is always the hardest) and missed the hue (which is comparatively much easier)....I have dents in my forehead from the lab wall Because I'd be banging my head up against the wall because I couldn't get the right value with tetracycline patients...and here you got the value.....figures.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Rob, if the value is correct, shouldn't Al double his price?......just saying hehe

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Rob, if the value is correct, shouldn't Al double his price?......just saying hehe

Yeah, then he can afford a shade guide.........LOLOLOLOLOL come on Al, even you have to laugh at that one...lol

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
Hue can't seat it, even if it has value. Dang, cause it looked great on the stone.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
What a PIA doing single anteriors.
This is a 26 yo female I need to match next week. Replacing pfm on #9 with a Emax.

pia1.jpg

A emax is going on a zir abutment for this man.

pia2.jpg

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Al, If you dont mind, what is your camera setup,(body/ lens/ flash ),I want to get one and your photos are great! Thanks Rob

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Al, If you dont mind, what is your camera setup,(body/ lens/ flash ),I want to get one and your photos are great! Thanks Rob
Rob, this is the set up I bought.

PhotoMed / Canon Rebel XSi

I got the Signa 105mm lens and ring flash.
I didnt buy from them though, I looked at all their cams and then picked that one and ordered the cam the lens and the flash all seperate from amazon.
The stuff that amazon has in their warehouse is the best price when they dont have it and it comes from somewhere else it is a bit higher.

I paid around $1,550 +/- a couple of bucks that price was with with shipping included. Photomed wants $1,799 + shipping.

If you dont know anything about cameras and what settings to use for dental stuff it may be worth the extra $250 for the support you get from them and they include a hard case.
But it is very simple to figure out yourself.

I can tell you if you buy one and start checking shades and strive to match them not just at a normal talking distance but under the magnification of the lens you will be a completely different tech after 100 units. At least that is what I am hoping for. Ive got about 95 more units to go.

Alot of stuff I thought looked good looks like crap up close like these 6 anteriors I 6 and 11 are full crns and 7-10 are venners. I closed a pretty good diastima. But look how I missed the 2 centrals 8 is larger then 9 and look at the incisal edge embrasure between 8 and 9.
It sucks it is a other wise nice case.
c.jpg

Last edited:
CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Thank you Al, I appreciate it. Rob

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
What a difficult shade and putting an emax over a black prep.

Do you think this case would have been more suited for me to have Scott mill me a Lava?

I made another crn. The new one using a mo2 ingot and the old one I made changes to.
Well the patient came in today and we tried them both in using an A3 tryin paste. The new crown matched the shade better but the patient the Dr and assistant choose the 1st crn becaues the crack and other charateristics was more intense and looked more natural even though the shade was still a bit off.
Though by eye from 2' distance it isnt very noticable and he has a very low lip line.
Anyway I got paid and he is happy.
BTW, Rob T. I took a tiny inverted cone and ran over the crack and laid some orange surface stain on it with an explorer and covered over it to tone down the white and match his other cracks better.

Anyway mabey some of you emax users can learn from my trial and error and save yourself some time.

s13.jpg

s14.jpg

s15.jpg

s16.jpg

Last edited:
S

Scooter

Reaction score
I wonder if the core material would hold up to do the dsign opaque firing technique we used to do with empress one when you where trying to block out a black stump. On the gingival 1/3 it probably would have cured your challenges.

Scott