Why does this happen

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
I was just curious as to why this happens to plungers over time. Thoughts?
20150501_111420_zpshyqx2kb0.jpg

M

MasterCeramist

Reaction score
Good question I have never seen that. Maybe just weakened enough after so many heat cycles on it or some kind of thermal shock.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Cleaning plungers in an acid cleaner such as Invex? And Or possible heat soaking in burnout oven,,,, I posted some pics a few years ago.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Good question I have never seen that. Maybe just weakened enough after so many heat cycles on it or some kind of thermal shock.

Same here, never seen it before, the chip on the side...maybe as far as overuse or it got dropped and just chipped right? But what's with the dimples going around it? Did that happen at the same time?

user name

user name

Reaction score
Time to do what I do...clean it and cut some alien lettering into it and toss it at a park where it will be found.
alien.jpg

Rub it down good with a yellow high lighter pen. It wont be noticeable, but if it ever finds its way into a truly curious individual...if they observe under a black light, it and their hands will have a strange glow.

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
Same here, never seen it before, the chip on the side...maybe as far as overuse or it got dropped and just chipped right? But what's with the dimples going around it? Did that happen at the same time?

no this plunger has actually been used for a long time. Obviously not anymore. but we have been having issues with new plungers chipping also. Just wanted to know what the cause of it was.

We are pressing on a ep500 thats probably 18+ years old. I work with a very stubborn lab owner that doesn't like to change his ways over here. Ive been trying to talk him into a Zubler for quite sometime. Help me show him the light

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
I just open the new porcelain furnace sent form corporate and it's a pressing furnace..........Not on my watch when we can mill emax.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
no this plunger has actually been used for a long time. Obviously not anymore. but we have been having issues with new plungers chipping also. Just wanted to know what the cause of it was.

We are pressing on a ep500 thats probably 18+ years old. I work with a very stubborn lab owner that doesn't like to change his ways over here. Ive been trying to talk him into a Zubler for quite sometime. Help me show him the light

At least try to talk him into Zubler disposable plungers. But that may be to expensive for him to consider?..."heaven forbid, disposable plungers??" :eek: ;)

Last edited:
Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Never seen that before.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
is you tech rinsing them or soaking them?