Why Can't I Transfer a Case from One Articulator Brand to Another?

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Have you ever found yourself asking this question? If so, please take a moment to read this informative blog from Whip Mix's very own Craig Pickett, CDT, RG, TE

http://info.whipmix.com/transferring-a-case-from-one-articulator-brand-to-another

Cant you use, with the Kavo Protar, different face bows? Or adapt different face bows? This way you can, at least, receive face bows from dental offices that are not on the Kavo System. Great Articulator but quite expensive....

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Break the mounting plaster and remount on a different articulator. It is done all the time. If it is already on an articulator why would you need to transfer it anyway?

Matt Drury

Matt Drury

Reaction score
Cant you use, with the Kavo Protar, different face bows? Or adapt different face bows? This way you can, at least, receive face bows from dental offices that are not on the Kavo System. Great Articulator but quite expensive....

Sure! You can use the Kavo articulator if they have some type of transfer for the facebow the office used in recording the patients data and you are getting accurate, repeatable results. Sorry I am not very familiar with the Kavo articulator and which facebows it can accept. I checked it out on their website but could not find info on which facebows that articulator system accepts?

Matt Drury

Matt Drury

Reaction score
Break the mounting plaster and remount on a different articulator. It is done all the time. If it is already on an articulator why would you need to transfer it anyway?

Although this method sounds time consuming to me, if it is working for you, providing consistent, accurate, reliable, repeatable results, then go for it! "If its not broke, don't fix it!" Not all doctors are going to send their articulator with each case they send to the lab. In which case the model is being transferred from one articulator to another. Hopefully in such cases, you have an articulator that is compatible and calibrated with the doctors. Everyone in the industry has their favorite brand or model of articulator they like to use for a multitude of reasons. Maybe its the old articulator they used while in dental school, or they may have the latest, greatest, articulator on the market. Whatever the case, the lab may not have a compatible articulator that is calibrated to the doctor's articulator's settings.

The best advice I can give is, choosing an articulator system should be a combined effort between the clinician and the laboratory. Take your time when researching all of the systems available and, ultimately, choose the one(s) that will best suit your needs. The initial cost may seem expensive, but purchasing a quality articulator system is a worthwhile investment for producing high quality products. The clinician and technician should decide together which articulator to use for the restorative work they engage in. Staying within that articulator system will help provide consistent, accurate, and repeatable results!

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Not many Drs take their time to mount a case, or even take a facebow, or when they do even know how to properly take a facebow. I saw the dr use the stick upside down and freehand.
If a Dr sent mounted I would insist on using their articulator. Unless it was a stratos I calibrated to my articulator. Otherwise I would putty register the bite, and remount. Using the hamular notches and incisive papilla.

Top Bottom