Where to get an Abutment for this?

Wyolab

Wyolab

Reaction score
A dentist sent me an anterior implant case on the Nobel Biocare platform, and ordered the abutment. When the abutment arrived the 15 degree angle looked good if the platform was not 60 degrees off. This patient is leaving town for the winter the day after they are scheduled, and I am not sure I have time to send the model off for a custom abutment. A titanium platform will show along the gingiva, so I am really frustrated with this. Ideas?
implant.jpg

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
try implant direct. They have a tri lobe compatible and you can get them with multiple lobe configurations.

Wyolab

Wyolab

Reaction score
Implant direct has 30 60 and 90 degree platform rotations, but only in titanium no in Zirconia. If someone could mill a custom abutment on the standard 15 degree layout with the custom part being the rotation of the lobes that would work fine, I just don't have time to mail the model out and get everything back. So far the implant person at the milling center has not returned my call.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
You will have to buy a ucla, cast it out of ceramic alloy, bake porc to the facial, contour margin, make restoration,

Easy as pie

The trilobe for Nobel fixtures was always designed to be placed direct buccle, this will facilitate the use of a stock abutment, as you know, even in a perfect world where the OS did his job right the metal interface on the STOCK ceramic abutment would still show.

Dr Ashley posted the video on his surgical guide thread that outlined the visual reference the surgical hand piece uses to position this lobe. Look for it if your curious

Good luck

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
There I go being wrong again. OPPS

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
Wow, the angulation on that looks like its pretty far buccal to boot! More often than not, surgeons ignore the trilobe functionality when placing the implant... at least the surgeons in my area do...

Have you asked your client about the gingival margin and how critical it is? Does the patient show this area in a big smile?

Tough to tell from the photo, but it looks like a UCLA or CAD abutment is how you have to go for this one. My usual MO is to talk with the Doc, tell him the limitations, and let them decide on a stock abutment, a CAD abut, or a UCLA (cost and cosmetic options).

doug

doug

Reaction score
The metal bottom comes apart from the Zirconia top. It is a Hex under there. Move it one flat and you may solve your problem.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Doug, I thought that at first also, but it looks to me to be a Glued-abutment made by a lab.

I don't think that is an option at this point. Someone made the model-work wrong! Whoopssie! Seen that before!

The Impression pick-up part was rotated when first lab made model for the custom abutment. LOL

Probably the first lab's fault. Whoever made that model for the abutment.

The model in the pic is correct.

Last edited:
Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
The zirconia abutment in the picture is a Implant Direct abutment and pre bonded. Like doug wrote, the Nobel zirconia abutment has a press fit metal converter at the interface. Just order the nobel zirconia abutment, pull out the converter and move it one or two positions, then push it back in. Go to Genieoss, look under Nobel-Laboratory-Abutments.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Original Model was made wrong.

Not fault of Implant Direct, unless they made the model.

The Impression pic-up piece was put back into the Impression 180 off when model work was done, and the lobes are off. Easy to do. Stupid Nobel part! Maybe the Doctor did it after taking impression?

Wyolab

Wyolab

Reaction score
It is an Implant Direct prefab zirconia abutment with a 15 degree angle. I talked to the Dr and it we have sorted it out, he has recently switched over to this Nobel Select system. Thanks for all of your feedback, now I have lot's of options if I see this one again. The model work is correct. I could post a photo of the impression if your curious ***, but the triangular pick up part would have to be jammed in to get it wrong. As long as everything lines up the lobes are where they need to be, it's actually a pretty nice design. This is not Implant Directs fault, they just don't have zirconia implants that fix someone elses placement. If I had more time I would have just ordered a custom abutment, but thanks Jo Chen for the info on the Nobel abutments through Genieoss that will probably be less expensive if I need to do this in the future. You guys are always a big help.

Last edited:
doug

doug

Reaction score
More often than not when a surgeon or periodontist places an implant it won't necessarily stop exactly where you or I would like it to. That is what happens a lot with the Tri-lobe on the Nobel implants. It would be nice if Nobel thought far enough ahead to have the additional 60' of positioning, like the Implant Direct, to compensate for times when this happens.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
I agree with Doug and Jo Chen regarding your options. Another you can try is to get a stock Ti abutment and re cement the Zr component to that in its proper orientation then modify the Ti on the facial.

REJ

REJ

Reaction score
Try to heat the abutment to 400 C for 2 minutes, to burn off the resin cement, then it could be rotated and cemented correctly barring an anti-rotational feature.