What would you do?

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
What if a long time past account that hasn't sent work for three years (who was obviously using another lab),out of the blue asks for a new price list? Would you run one over as if nothing ever happened, snail mail it, email it, or do nothing ( they had used my lab for ten years prior to that)?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
What if a long time past account that hasn't sent work for three years (who was obviously using another lab),out of the blue asks for a new price list? Would you run one over as if nothing ever happened, snail mail it, email it, or do nothing ( they had used my lab for ten years prior to that)?
What kind of relationship was there before this Houdini act is a big factor.

It would depend on if they had given any reason, or just quit calling one day. I'd be wary of them using it as a barganing tool, and probably go in person no matter what. Get a feel of the place and see what has changed.

If there never was anything like an 'exit interview', find out from the front desk staff when would be good to drop in for an in person hand-off and to see what issue they had, aside from price.

If they had articulated any reasons, real reasons, take it as a win that they are seeing more problems elsewhere.

And, in all honesty, this is what I'd like to think I'd do.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
This was a good account, they were easy to work with, well we learned to work together. I didn't ask why they quit, guess I should have... I just wonder if the reason they want to leave their new lab is price as they knew my old prices, why do they need a new price list like I'm a new lab? Maybe the new labs prices went up way too high and they are checking mine again. Yes the pride thing is an issue, lol, not a good business practice, I'll be over that in a few minutes.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Just keep in mind, the difference between a salesman and an actor is whether you pay before or after seeing them.

O

omsk

Reaction score
What we have done before is send a price list with our new higher prices. They usually start sending work again and don't really complain much about the new prices.

They might have been lured in by lower prices but then realize the final product was not the same or the service provided was not the same.

Can't really say which is the best way or the right way since everyone will handle this differently.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Well it depends on if you need the work or not. If you do, send them a list. If you don't tell them nicely that you closed out their account years ago and you're too busy to take on anyone new but you'll let them know when you're able to take on new clients. That way you haven't burned an bridges.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I don't turn anyone away. Now whether they are a good fit and we continue is a different story. My only concern here is that I'm sending my price list out to someone who will only use it to compare my prices to the current lab to hold it over their head...

N

nickate

Reaction score
I don't turn anyone away. Now whether they are a good fit and we continue is a different story. My only concern here is that I'm sending my price list out to someone who will only use it to compare my prices to the current lab to hold it over their head...

Who cares about your price list? Throw a few basic procedures and charges together and pass it on. It need not be elaborate and the less info you have in writing the less 'splaining you will ever need to do.
Take a basic one in, give it to the office and ASK the correct person why they stopped using you. THIS is good information for your lab. Get something in return for your efforts... information is invaluable.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Something interesting. When I did my initial marketing blitz period at opening, only one office who asked for a price sheet worked with me within 6 months. Some have come around since, but that was enlightening as my fees are not unreasonable.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Who cares about your price list? Throw a few basic procedures and charges together and pass it on. It need not be elaborate and the less info you have in writing the less 'splaining you will ever need to do.
Take a basic one in, give it to the office and ASK the correct person why they stopped using you. THIS is good information for your lab. Get something in return for your efforts... information is invaluable.

I suppose once in awhile you would get a straight answer as to why they switched, but to me it's kind of like asking your ex why they broke up with you. Sometimes you'll get the, "it isn't you, it's me" answer, and sometimes it's just awkward and you risk them not calling again because of embarrassment. Obviously in this case it was price and the newish lab must have raised theirs. I don't take these things personally, but I do have my pride.
Do any of you get straight answers when you ask a dentist why they quit?

doug

doug

Reaction score
What I don't understand about labs is that if the going rate around is, say $235.00 for an Emax, why would anyone in the area go out and solicit business selling $100.00 Emax crowns.

N

nickate

Reaction score
I suppose once in awhile you would get a straight answer as to why they switched, but to me it's kind of like asking your ex why they broke up with you. Sometimes you'll get the, "it isn't you, it's me" answer, and sometimes it's just awkward and you risk them not calling again because of embarrassment. Obviously in this case it was price and the newish lab must have raised theirs. I don't take these things personally, but I do have my pride.

Honestly--- chances are if you are speaking with the dentist (your ex) you already know your history with him/her.... If you are talking with the front office--- (your ex's buddy) you may get the truth.

The mission of the office visit? LEAVE WITH A CASE. Bring in chocolate or donuts. Get them back if you want them.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I don't worry about straight answers anymore; they're like unicorns.
Clinics leave cause the grass looked greener and they come back when they discover it wasn't. Far too common to waste my few remaining brain cells on.
Be who you are. You have no control of the rest.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
What I don't understand about labs is that if the going rate around is, say $235.00 for an Emax, why would anyone in the area go out and solicit business selling $100.00 Emax crowns.
This in a nutshell is why the Luddites were right.
Technology isn't good or bad, but the manner in which it is employed to destroy skilled labor is a moral choice. Not a good one either.

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
My first thought is, price shopping. It is a toss up, but my experience has been zero, when handing one out. In retrospect, I would never give anyone the full list. Drop off a brochure. Maybe with a personal note tucked inside. Since you once had a relationship with them, they might want to return. If you want them, take the risk.

If you are feeling sassy, ask for one in return...not that I recommend this, but sheesh! What do you have to lose?

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I don't worry about straight answers anymore; they're like unicorns.
Clinics leave cause the grass looked greener and they come back when they discover it wasn't. Far too common to waste my few remaining brain cells on.
Be who you are. You have no control of the rest.

Today's world has me questioning being who I am, take today, I was in a pet store with my teenage son. There was a big puppy "puddle" in the middle of the floor that was hard to see and I saw one of the store employees about to step right in it, and in my mind I could picture him flying into the air. I said, "watch out for the puddle", quietly and when I thought he didn't hear me , I said it with more force/urgency. Instead of saying "thank you" for the warning, he got mad and told me he had already seen it ;-p I asked my son if I had over stepped by mentioning it, and he said he wouldn't have said anything and let the guy step in the puddle. I said," well that's not who I am", to which he said, "you sounded like a nag and maybe a bit irritating" (ok I asked for an honest opinion). So I'm an irritating nag with a good heart, that sums me up and I guess I have to own it lol.
There must be a moral for the dental world in there somewhere:cool:

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I'll hold open the door for anyone coming or going, on a few occasions they have harrumphed and opened the other door for themselves. People are weird. So what. If they want to be bitter and misanthropic, you can be what you want too.

It's hard to know what is going on, he might have been yelled at about it, or just got a call that his mom's last round of chemo was unsuccesful. Either way, you tried to help, and good for you.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
My first thought is, price shopping. It is a toss up, but my experience has been zero, when handing one out. In retrospect, I would never give anyone the full list. Drop off a brochure. Maybe with a personal note tucked inside. Since you once had a relationship with them, they might want to return. If you want them, take the risk.

If you are feeling sassy, ask for one in return...not that I recommend this, but sheesh! What do you have to lose?

My gut is saying don't send the whole list on this one, on second thought no list, I agree with what you are saying. I think I'll mail some lab slips and let them call with an actual order and they can get a price per case. Thank you, I think this solves my problem.