What do you use to cut sprues off?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
What do you use to cut metal sprues off?
I've always used Jel-thins but man-oh-man, one of those suckers obliterated right on my chin this morning.........grrrr. I know zahn and other places are selling much better wheels, i'm just curious what you've found or used and like?

C

charles007

Reaction score
Rubi Slitters (alum oxide)
Dedeco 1-1/2x.032 product #5174 box of 100

Last edited:
C

charles007

Reaction score
these are quite large in diam, so I end up using a smaller one thats worn down, and a new large one... Tallidum makes great wheels that cut fast but don't last quit as long... I use these to cut off and break the surface, thin the margins a little, then use a fg SS. White express Line carbides to finish up...

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I use jel-thins to cut off, then weigh it (add .2 grams),then heatless to cut off sprue lead. Then I take a high speed or a 557 lab handpiece bur to dig out any surface bubble or undercuts I missed inside. Then I take a green stone from SHOFU to do my margins....a green stone from SHOFU is just like any white stone. Any other green stone will cause contamination big time, but SHOFU don't. Then I have a big round white stone I usually go over the whole thing with, then sandblast, steam, then degas.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
ShoFu seperating disks.

Cut fast and cold, but do not last very long. Rips your skin off super fast.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
ShoFu seperating disks.

Cut fast and cold, but do not last very long. Rips your skin off super fast.

Yeah, I'm looking for something that isn't brittle but thin........ My chin isn't feeling to good right now after bouncing that one off it this morning....

C

charles007

Reaction score
Debeco Koolies no heat wheels-white "fine" (aluminum oxide) are great for dusting off the remaining sprue and finishing metal. 7/8x1/8

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
I use Keystone very-thin discs (grey color) for precious metal and Keystone thin discs (redish color) for non-precious metal. I have part of a disc that broke stuck into a wall and another disc stuck in the ceiling. They have been there for some months now. I like to think of them as decorative material.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Why use a thin disk to cut off, they break way to much and leave scars!! Sure they save a tiny bit of metal, but at a high cost.... We already have a couple of ugly techs on board, don't need any more with more scars do we ...........

M

Mr. T

Reaction score
Use Zahn product, they have a couple of good disc, use the one a lil bit thicker than the jel-type and use heatless to smooth out the extra.

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
Renfert's Dynex. 40x.5mm Cuts fast, lasts a long time, doesn't snap and I can use to finish around on the coping as well.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone tried hydraulic snips?

Jewelers often cut with these.

here is a manual version ULTRA POWER MAX CUTTER JEWELRY TOOLS - eBay (item 230268967708 end time Aug-30-09 21:40:52 PDT)

Good for single units! May warp a bridge with multiple sprues.
Fast and saves metal.

I'll be the guinea pig and have at it.

If that doesn't work, I'll just try blasting it with my laser.
cyclops.jpg

Last edited:
Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Renfert's Dynex. 40x.5mm Cuts fast, lasts a long time, doesn't snap and I can use to finish around on the coping as well.

Yep thats what I use also. I get over 200 units of noble mtl with one disk.