What Alloy to use (cast to UCLA Gold)

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I always use a High Noble Gold Alloy for casting to any Gold base for screw retained units.

What are the rules of this?

Do people also use Noble, high Palladium alloys with little Gold?

What about casting to Titanium?

I am asking to solve an arguement with neighbor lab.

I have often left some of the original Gold part exposed, and my porcelian had Zero problems sticking to it. Was that wrong?

Scott

Hary

Hary

Reaction score
Hi Scott, I use paladium silver and i get verry good result. I have tried to use once with Cr Co and the gold melted.
and for the pocelain bonding with the lower part of the crown(with the gold) I never had any problem with that either.

Last edited:
IVY

IVY

Reaction score
Olympia used to be the standard, or an alloy with 50% or more gold content, however, I've used Integrity, Argelite54B....and other low gold/high paladium alloys with perfect results.
Olympia was a 52% gold I believe, yet was still silver colour and super expensive!

D

dhdc

Reaction score
I always believed it could be a problem having your porcelain on the gold abutment,i guess if the CTE is different then there could be cracking problems,but i have seen plenty where they have no problems so, what do i know!I personally put a small gold collar around the abutment just to be sure,but i can lead to a slight over contour,or an opaque neck.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
"I have often left some of the original Gold part exposed, and my porcelian had Zero problems sticking to it. Was that wrong? "

No

A

a3dl

Reaction score
thx scott for clearing this up with all our colleagues on this site...problem solved..question answered..dont know why implant company told me that i could not apply porcelain directly to abutment. maybe they just dont recommend it therefore they tell people to not do it

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I don't recommend it either. But, I do it on almost every case with no problems. LOL

???

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
The gold bases on UCLA are a non oxidizing alloy that is designed to allow you to cast to it. If the metal oxidized while you burned out the pattern the casted metal would not have a very good interface for the metal to stick to. ALL implant companies recommend grinding back the metal and overlapping your cast ceramic alloy if you plan to add porcelain below this interface.

How you get opaque to stick to the non oxidizing alloy is beyond me, perhaps you had expansion in your ring alloying the metal to slightly cover the interface.

Predominately PD/silver alloy is used daily and appears to have very good results to the naked eye, however there have been many many studies showing its bond to the non oxidizing gold interface to be poor and the potential for failure is there.

The best alloy and the standard for cast to abutments is at least a 40% casting gold. If doing screw retained crowns most any HN alloy that has limited silver in it will work wonderfully.

Chrome or any non precious alloy should never be used.

When Mark gets back he will be able to expand on what I mentioned as he is very very well versed on this topic.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Thanks for the good explanation from all, esp. John's.
My CDT uses High Noble alloy (Classic IV or equivalent from
Jensen) without problems. I did not think the yellow colored
alloys have as good a bond with porcelain but do not think
there are studies proving that. Then again, you have Captek
and they claim no problems with bond and I think not many reported
problem because the gold is so thin, it would probably be adhered
to the porcelain than have ceramic debonding from a more rigid
coping structure.
LCM