Wax discs for CAD/CAM , how low can they go ?

Digitaldentist

Digitaldentist

Reaction score
After shrinkage, a 4" pipe will work just fine.

GO HOME DEPOT!!!! YEAHHH

Same for you, new guy.....When I say you can re-melt the material. Then that means that you can re-melt it!! See?

Don't come back

Digitaldentist

Digitaldentist

Reaction score
Some formulations of wax can be remelted but the wax does break down quickly depending on the type of alkanes used in the paraffin content of the formula.
Most waxes should be kept in constant agitation for best results. Keep doing what are doing if you are getting good results. I came to this group asking for help so that I can help you.
I can supply the wax in cylinder form if you have the time to process it yourself......
My silkworms and Elves now have to be consoled...........thanks pal
This is really cutting into their R&D time

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
thank you regardless.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Show me a pic of your "constant aggitation" machine you use for melting wax.

I'll be waiting. You came to this group to make money. I guess your previous job wasn't working for ya.

Welcome to the site.

I have worked with wax for a couple of decades now....never seen it seperate before.

Also, my 3D Printer melts and re-melts wax everyday for a month straight and no issues what so ever.

Scott

Last edited:
EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
"and just doing the math makes most of those pucks $15-$17 each. sadly not pennies"

Ck your math. I got $5.21 per puck or $4.30 per puck if you buy 100.

Last edited:
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
"and just doing the math makes most of those pucks $15-$17 each. sadly not pennies"

Ck your math. I got $5.21 per puck or $4.30 per puck if you buy 100.

you are correct, i glanced over the quantities the first go around and i didnt see the 100 count. double checked and you are spot on. thank you for the correction! $4 a puck is much better than the $15=$20 average!

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Then, you would be recycling the wax....just like Glidewell and Mark Jackson have been doing for years and years.

There are plenty of moulds to buy if you don't want to D.I.Y.

Don't listen to the new guy trying to sell stuff here his first few days.

He is full of it already, I can tell.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
So it doesn't matter that the wax disks we use are a wax/resin or a synthetic blend, you can still recycle them? I was worried that if the disk is of two materials then they would have different melting points and would work. Or do they have to be a 100% wax disk for this to work?

M

mrcadcam

Reaction score
Then, you would be recycling the wax....just like Glidewell and Mark Jackson have been doing for years and years.

There are plenty of moulds to buy if you don't want to D.I.Y.

Don't listen to the new guy trying to sell stuff here his first few days.

He is full of it already, I can tell.

You'll appreciate this ***, Glidewell doesn't mill wax they print everything on Envisiontec printers........then again you might not like that.

Mould's do not work also. You always have to machine the final shape. I dont care what mould you pour the hot wax into it NEVER shrinks uniformly. You either have to plane it or lathe it to get it to a starting point.

If you guys are looking for wax cheap to make yourself. Your getting ripped off by going to MachinableWax, he buys it in bulk like the rest of us from FreemanSupply or other vendors. You can get 50 pounds for about $50.

Now do the math......

98x10mm disc weighs roughly 1/4 pound......hmmmmmm whats the answer class?

30 crowns per disc?

You can make your own wax to.... standard LDPE i think #4, paraffin, stabalizer, and some standard dye and your in the wax disc making business. Thats we do when we have to make our own White / Diagnostic wax discs.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Just wondering how much time and machinery and labor involved in making your own? And pain in the you know what?

M

mrcadcam

Reaction score
Just wondering how much time and machinery and labor involved in making your own? And pain in the you know what?

Depends how many you do @ a time. Only needing 1 to 2 disks a week, just buy them $15 to $30 a disk is not much overhead. People asking for somebody to make them a disk for $5 .....let alone $2 is just plan retarded.

The machinery end of it depends on how you want to make them, you can either mill them out or do it the old fashioned way with press's and lathes. I say in an hours time.....doing the manual way........you could pop out about 50 of them. If you need the lip on a 98, 2 or 3 min added per disk still manual. Doing it with a $1,000 mill, depends upon how fast you can feed it ;)

If you recycle the disks it can be a pain because you have to strain the wax for containment's. If doing white don't even bother with recycling it. Thats mainly why you see no vendors selling white, it needs to be super clean every time.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
So it doesn't matter that the wax disks we use are a wax/resin or a synthetic blend, you can still recycle them? I was worried that if the disk is of two materials then they would have different melting points and would work. Or do they have to be a 100% wax disk for this to work?

We have a propriatary blend of ear-wax...surf-wax, and bees wax mixed with old wax cylinders from Edison sound machine, then we cut it with synthetic wax from Jupiter and some Black crap I scraped off my shoe.

Shane, of course you are not to mix wax. Same rules apply as when you are hand-waxing old-school style. Some waxes do not mix, as you know...

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
We have a propriatary blend of ear-wax...surf-wax, and bees wax mixed with old wax cylinders from Edison sound machine, then we cut it with synthetic wax from Jupiter and some Black crap I scraped off my shoe.

Shane, of course you are not to mix wax. Same rules apply as when you are hand-waxing old-school style. Some waxes do not mix, as you know...

Sorry I probably didn't word it right, the disks we use are of synthetic blends. Are those ok to melt down and re-use? I've been trying to find 100% pure wax but it's very difficult if impossible. Almost everything it seems is a synthetic or wax/resign mix. That's what I was asking.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score

Some people really like to make things look hard, we have 6 original wax disks that we re fill with melted wax once they are used up, takes no time at all. We place them on a metal sheet and re fill them. No rocket science, no shrinkage against the metal base, no wast, no rip off costs and no problem for any tech.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
You'll appreciate this ***, Glidewell doesn't mill wax they print everything on Envisiontec printers........then again you might not like that.

Mould's do not work also. You always have to machine the final shape. I dont care what mould you pour the hot wax into it NEVER shrinks uniformly. You either have to plane it or lathe it to get it to a starting point.

If you guys are looking for wax cheap to make yourself. Your getting ripped off by going to MachinableWax, he buys it in bulk like the rest of us from FreemanSupply or other vendors. You can get 50 pounds for about $50.

Now do the math......

98x10mm disc weighs roughly 1/4 pound......hmmmmmm whats the answer class?

30 crowns per disc?

You can make your own wax to.... standard LDPE i think #4, paraffin, stabalizer, and some standard dye and your in the wax disc making business. Thats we do when we have to make our own White / Diagnostic wax discs.

now THAT is an informative post!

Wes@MachWax

Wes@MachWax

Reaction score
I have sent out thousands of discs here at work. Seeing them in raw form so much, it is really cool to see what you guys get out of them.

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
We here at TD Dental Supply offer any size brown wax 98x10,12,14,16,18,20,25mm = $10 each.
Or white wax in the same sizes = $13 any size. ALL our wax burns out clean. If you've never tried
our brown wax I'll send anyone a FREE sample puck.

Wes@MachWax

Wes@MachWax

Reaction score
We here at TD Dental Supply offer any size brown wax 98x10,12,14,16,18,20,25mm = $10 each.
Or white wax in the same sizes = $13 any size. ALL our wax burns out clean. If you've never tried
our brown wax I'll send anyone a FREE sample puck.
Working the production side of these, I can understand why you guys charge more for white. It requires a very difficult attention to detail. The level of meticulousness required in all steps of production makes me wish my boss consider charging more for them, but they are the same as of now.

Are your materials 100% from US?

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
Working the production side of these, I can understand why you guys charge more for white. It requires a very difficult attention to detail. The level of meticulousness required in all steps of production makes me wish my boss consider charging more for them, but they are the same as of now.

Are your materials 100% from US?

Wes, our wax is 100% from the U.S.A!

Top Bottom