Wax discs for CAD/CAM , how low can they go ?

R

robsdental

Reaction score
I'm looking for the best price out there on Wax Disks (98.3 with a step)

Let's see who's getting it for less....lay it on me my brethren

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
TD Dental Supply has good prices. $12 I think?

R

robsdental

Reaction score
Yo Ice,

10-
12-
14-
16-
18-
20-
22-
25-

A little more specific ?

Thanx dude

R

robsdental

Reaction score
Thanx for the tip ***

I'm checking

-ROB

ice_pascu

ice_pascu

Reaction score
every size is the same price

ice_pascu

ice_pascu

Reaction score
Can you sell to me?I'm looking for good wax blanks too.
we are neighbors,normaly,i will send you a sample please send adress,and if you like it we will meet half way for delivery:)

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
is that stuff ash free? and just doing the math makes most of those pucks $15-$17 each. sadly not pennies

Obviously, you flunked Mathmatics as a kid, because you can get a 14" long tube for $42... Yeah, it is sad.

So, let's do some math, OK?

14 inches is going to be 35 and 1/2 CM....or about 355mm

Now, we are going to divide 355mm by 12mm (My guess as to your avg. thickness of disk...)

355/12= That is almost 30 disks for only $44. Then, you can remelt the leftovers and do it again, right?

This will come out to just penys per disk! Just like I said.

Use a 4" steel pipe...

Your welcome!

Machinable Wax - Cylinder Shaped Stock

Also, this is specifically designed for lost-wax burnout, so your second question could have been answered by yourself if you bothered to read my link. (maybe? Maybe not?)

So, I will do your work for you and tell you!

Specifications for our BLUE Machinable Wax:
Extremely hard, hybrid plasticized wax blend. Recommended for high resolution CNC milling and turning. This wax is somewhat more flexible than our green or silver blend. Available in small, medium and large pieces. Excellent choice for parts with high but delicate components such as turbine blades. This wax is too tough to be considered carveable.

• Hardness: 53 (Shore "D" Scale)
  • Penetration @77 deg. F, 150g (dmm) = 13.0
  • Flexibility: High: 45 Avg. (Proprietary test for comparitive purposes only)
  • Specific Gravity: 0.92
  • Specific Density: 0.03472 pounds / cubic inch or, 0.9137 grams / cubic cm
  • Flash Point (COC): 575 degrees F
  • Melt Point (Ring & Ball Method): 240 degrees F
  • Viscosity 270 degrees F = 1790cP
  • Flexibility: 45 Average (Proprietary test for comparitive purposes only.)
  • Volumetric Shrinkage (for recycling, from melting point to room temp): 5%
  • Ash content for lost wax casting applications is low (.0075%)
  • Coefficient of Thermal Expansion (in./in. ºF): 9.5 x 10[SUP]-5[/SUP]
  • Coloring: blue dye, permanent, oil base

:wavey:

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Wax is very easy to cut to size. Being soooo soft, who cares if it is .5mm taller than what your CAM has for avaliable thickness. It won't hurt a thing.

Go get a cheap band-saw and make your own, then re-melt into 4" pipe.

I'd never in my life pay more than a few bucks at the most for a piece of wax. duh!

Digitaldentist

Digitaldentist

Reaction score
I have already produced the steel dies for the disk molds and will be happy to send samples of 16 mm thick stepped blocks for 15.00 delivered to your door. Don't pay for it if you don't like it. I will send out only 50 and you can pay if you were happy with the quality.
Just private email me your address and I will send them out within two weeks.
There are reasons not to remelt and it has to due with the separation of components in the wax formulation.
Please only one per lab.
Mike

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Baah, Whatever.....How do you think it was made to begin with? Only you can make disks, huh? LOL

Video link to recycling..... Recycling Machinable Wax

RECYCLING MACHINABLE WAX
Machinable wax can be recycled and used multiple times. You'll need a way to melt the wax to 290 degrees F and a mold to pour the melted wax into. Aluminum molds usually work best. You can either fabricate a large custom mold or use a simple baking tin for small projects.
Make sure that you use safe practices and don't heat the wax over 300 degrees F.
There are many commercial ovens available for melting large quantities. One rather unique (and inexpensive) method that we have seen for heating small batches on a limited budget is the Presto Cooking Kettle. It has a variable thermostat that provides more control than the typical high-medium-low settings on some appliances.

Recycling Machinable Wax
Machinable wax can be recycled. The shavings and unused pieces of material can be re-melted and formed back into useable material. This attribute can substantially reduce the cost of using machinable wax over other materials. We've put together a short video that will give you a few idea and show you what to expect if you want to try recycling yourself. LINK TO RECYCLING VIDEO >>
The self-releasing properties of machinable wax make it an ideal choice to use as a master model. Epoxies and polyurethanes can be poured directly onto the wax surface without the need for sealers or release agents. You can also bond machinable wax pieces together by using a cyanoacrylate adhesive (Super Glue, Crazy Glue, etc.) or for smaller pieces a spray on adhesive such as the #90 Hi-Strength Spray Adhesive from the 3M company can work well.

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
After shrinkage, a 4" pipe will work just fine.

GO HOME DEPOT!!!! YEAHHH

Scott

Last edited: