VHF K5

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
Have a new 5 axis from VHF, it had brain farts a month ago. It would randomly lose sync and make grooves through some crowns with 2mm tool and not all just some. I was told to ground the suction hose, so I did. It milled fine for a month, but yesterday it reared its ugly head again, ruining 10 of 20 in the puck. Has anybody else experienced or heard of this issue, the mill is less than 4 months old....

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Sounds like drunken cnc controller over or under load in your electrical system ?? just for Milli seconds ?? or electrostatic ?? they tend to be a bit girl y ( cnc controller) Ok you can try to call VHF electronics they build the controller but dont think they talk to you they are shy !!
Laptop is buffered with accu ?? or connection problems usb ?? not sure they buffer with some ram on cnc controller to compensate dont think so.
Any software updates ?? win or cam ?

M

mptz

Reaction score
latest cam update 1.6 and above is **** chipping etc go back to 1.4 etc

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
.....not sure about drunken controllers or electric fluctuations, but the mill acted up around job number 40. I was able to run problem free until job number 111. So it doesn't make much sense as it ran full pucks fine for weeks without exception. I am located in U.S. with 3phase power and the same computer that has run that mill from day one, no updates and all power settings are set correctly. Wonder if anyone else oversees are seeing this issues.
I re-ran the same job with no puck last evening and the file had no errors. I even ran another smaller job with no issues, so now waiting on VHF to step up as much as Jensen Industries has,.....with there support and time and material/tool reimbursement. This is not the only K-5 running in the U.S. so wouldn't u think there would be a common failure/drunk cnc elsewhere in all the US. I don't think the machine is bad, I like the results when it runs trouble free as it did for last month, but I also dislike the unknown as to when it might happen again? Having the 3axis VHF for backup and Jensen milling services if needed is why I will sleep well tonight and tomorrow. It pays to remember these things when making large equipment purchases...price isn't always the only consideration.
Lastly, I'm sure VHF would like this resolved asap as they would like to keep pace with other equipment sellers...I haven't read any similiar posts regarding Roland, Datron, Imes or other mill manufacturers. Just my 2 cents.

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
... It pays to remember these things when making large equipment purchases...price isn't always the only consideration.
Absolutely agree but difficult to follow as there is so much miss-information out there propagated by not only users but most often, suppliers of the technology.

One of the many things I have learned in my 40 years of working with CNC equipment and CAD/CAM Software is that it is extremely important for users of CNC/CAD/CAM technology (dental, industrial or any application) to educate themselves on the technology available as well as that being offered or considered - find the solution that can do the most for them - short and long term - and not base a decision on initial cost alone.

The pains of a system that may have cost a few dollars more or seemed easier to use in the beginning far outlast those associated with the initial incremental cost or slightly extended learning curve of a truly superior solution or supplier (cue Ghostbusters theme).

Just my two cents...

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Have a new 5 axis from VHF, it had brain farts a month ago. It would randomly lose sync and make grooves through some crowns with 2mm tool and not all just some. I was told to ground the suction hose, so I did. It milled fine for a month, but yesterday it reared its ugly head again, ruining 10 of 20 in the puck. Has anybody else experienced or heard of this issue, the mill is less than 4 months old....
Got a pic of the results?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

cnhart@me.com

[email protected]

Reaction score
Absolutely agree but difficult to follow as there is so much miss-information out there propagated by not only users but most often, suppliers of the technology.

One of the many things I have learned in my 40 years of working with CNC equipment and CAD/CAM Software is that it is extremely important for users of CNC/CAD/CAM technology (dental, industrial or any application) to educate themselves on the technology available as well as that being offered or considered - find the solution that can do the most for them - short and long term - and not base a decision on initial cost alone.

The pains of a system that may have cost a few dollars more or seemed easier to use in the beginning far outlast those associated with the initial incremental cost or slightly extended learning curve of a truly superior solution or supplier (cue Ghostbusters theme).

Just my two cents...

We run a k5 no issues. But this stuff sounds like a software CAM issue not the controller. Controllers do funny things but generally are sticking to coordinates. If it were losing heights or something I'd think controller but I have had this issue with another cam software with every implant interface. It wasn't retracting tool between cuts so yours maybe similar. There's the dental Cnc and the dental cam and I see they have a new cam.

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
I just deleted pic's as no need for that bad karma on my phone...I did forward to help desk and VHF just installed new firmware on the mill, it did mill a full puck fine over wkd and one yesterday. It wasn't thought to be CAM as issue has proposed itself in 2 mills sold by reseller, none in any of the 25-50 something on market. What happens is it error codes when receiving the 2mm tool info for very short time time as there are some crowns with 2mm grooves across occl., marg. rdgs and/or part of margin....but 10 of 20 were fine. Units lost were of all part types so I think it maybe just a "Ghost in The Machine"

cnhart@me.com

[email protected]

Reaction score
I just deleted pic's as no need for that bad karma on my phone...I did forward to help desk and VHF just installed new firmware on the mill, it did mill a full puck fine over wkd and one yesterday. It wasn't thought to be CAM as issue has proposed itself in 2 mills sold by reseller, none in any of the 25-50 something on market. What happens is it error codes when receiving the 2mm tool info for very short time time as there are some crowns with 2mm grooves across occl., marg. rdgs and/or part of margin....but 10 of 20 were fine. Units lost were of all part types so I think it maybe just a "Ghost in The Machine"

That's wild! Was you reseller performing voodoo?? Very strange

But great to know!!!!

Top Bottom