Up charge on alloy's....

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Regardless of how much you mark up to prevent losing money, I base it on price paid or that day's price, whichever is higher. This is simply to ensure purchasing more alloy isn't a losing deal. I don't really profit on the alloy, but I don't care to lose on it either.

Out of curiosity, when do you all weigh the restoration for calculated alloy fee?

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
After cutting the sprue off the casting. Thats the way we did in the military.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Thanks. That's how I was taught too, but it's nice to be consistent- sort of a "standard" way we all do certain things.

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
Regardless of how much you mark up to prevent losing money...profit on the alloy, but I don't care to lose on it either. Out of curiosity, when do you all weigh the restoration for calculated alloy fee?
After cutting off from the button but before metal finishing. The dust at this point is either saved or sent into the atmosphere. As I stated, we cut near the coping/crwn. Then weigh and record for invoicing.

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
Thanks. That's how I was taught too, but it's nice to be consistent- sort of a "standard" way we all do certain things.
Setting a standard lends you credibility. The amount varies, so I don't know how a lab can set a price, especially for FGC. Full Gold Crown for the youngsters here that don't know what a gold crown is. ;)

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Grams is my unit standard, makes it easier when calculating alloy required for a casting using wax weight and specific gravity which is in grams.
1 oz = 20 dwt
1 oz = 31 gm
gm per dwt = g/ dwt
31/20 =1.55
1 dwt=1.55g
Assuming you paid $925 for an ounce including shipping etc. And you wish to mark up 20,20,30,40,50%. Then all you do is multiply by 1 plus your desired%. Ex . 55% markup becomes 1.55,....... 1 being your cost or 100%' and 55 being your markup%.
Retail for your oz of alloy is now...
925x1.55=1433.75
1 gm= 1433.75/31=$46.25/g

Hope this help someone out there.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
@ Mrs galffriday:) I use my button as my ruler. Any loss is taken against the starting issued weight, that includes, loss from melting and loss from cutting off sprue is counted as used and billed accordingly. Hmmmm2?
Before ...weigh and record alloy dedicated to castings.After casting is devested weigh again a small loss may be observed...cut off castings and weigh the button. Subtract from initial weight and thats the alloy used. Different cases you say? You can weigh all the castings together after despruing together with the button against the initial alloy weight, this loss can be accounted for by distributed amongst the castings. Still Hmmmm2. ;)

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
For ex lets assume:

Alloy wt prior to melting =15.7
button after casting =15.3
(casting loss = .4)
button prior to despruing =15.3
button after despruing =6.8
desprued castings weight =7.9
button + castings (6.8 + 7.9) =14.7
despruing loss=(init wt -casting loss -button - castings)(15.7 -.4 -6.8 -7.9)= .6
Total loss = 1.0g

or another way = init wt - (casting loss + despruing loss + castings wt)
= 15.7 - ( .4 + .6 +7.9)
= 15.7 - (8.9)
button wt (on hand) = 6.8 g
Alloy used for castings= init alloy wt -button wt(15.7-6.8) =8.9

bottom 2 lines should add up to initial wt

dynamisoz

dynamisoz

Reaction score
For ex lets assume:

Alloy wt prior to melting =15.7
button after casting =15.3
(casting loss = .4)
button prior to despruing =15.3
button after despruing =6.8
desprued castings weight =7.9
button + castings (6.8 + 7.9) =14.7
despruing loss=(init wt -casting loss -button - castings)(15.7 -.4 -6.8 -7.9)= .6
Total loss = 1.0g

or another way = init wt - (casting loss + despruing loss + castings wt)
= 15.7 - ( .4 + .6 +7.9)
= 15.7 - (8.9)
button wt (on hand) = 6.8 g
Alloy used for castings= init alloy wt -button wt(15.7-6.8) =8.9

bottom 2 lines should add up to initial wt
I knew skipping math in high school was a bad idea!...

I need to do some calculating..

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
I add 25% to the total cost of the alloy. ( metal,shipping,tax, etc.)... I weigh in dwt, not grams or grains. I add 0.1 dwt for each sprue cut to the weight of the casting. So in a round about way its roughly 35%....