Trial packing

M

monica_bunta

Reaction score
Do you trial pack in conventional flasking? Pros and cons please :)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score

You must always trial pack. If you don't, you run the risk of having porosity if you under pack, and if you over pack and have acrylic flowing out of the sides, the bite is going to be open because you don't have metal to metal contact on the upper and lower halves of the flask. Also, if you trial pack, the acrylic will be denser which makes it stronger.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
On top of everything Doris mentioned you get much better fits with trial packing. If you pay attention you will notice the definition in the acrylic getting a little bit better with each trial pack. We pack almost everything and on average I'd say our dentures get pressed 4 times total.

First initial press, 2 trial presses, and final closure. Some get many more then that. We don't final press until the definition in the acrylic is to our liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
It is established that you should trialpack.

M

monica_bunta

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. For the last few months I've been dealing with a different technique of flasking from what I was used to and that involves not trial packing. This goes against what I was used to so I wanted to know what other technicians advise . :)

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Turn them around and spit them out denture mills don't trial pack and they don't get much return business.

M

monica_bunta

Reaction score
Turn them around and spit them out denture mills don't trial pack and they don't get much return business.
It's not even an issue of turning work around quickly...and trial packing saves lots of time when it comes to trimming .

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. For the last few months I've been dealing with a different technique of flasking from what I was used to and that involves not trial packing. This goes against what I was used to so I wanted to know what other technicians advise . :)

Are you injecting or packing?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Pour technique doesn't require trial packing

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score

Yes.
Pro:
Sufficient density of material. Less incisal pin opening.
Con:
Time. This is not really a con, as any material problems arising will have to be addressed.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score

You mean there's clueless labs out there that abuse the materials they use and don't adhere to manufacturers instructions?
Well I'm shocked

M

monica_bunta

Reaction score
No just technicians with different options.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
No just technicians with different options.

I was hoping to be funny. Guess not.

As far as options go. I would only presspack without trial packs under very narrowly defined circumstances.
If we're talking type 1 PMMA denture base, its risky.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
When I came into dentures from C+B I hadn't done them since school I was sent to a denture mill and a two week crash course in dentures they didn't trial pack. When I first got back I didn't trial pack either. If there was enough acrylic to ooze out the mold was filled sufficiently. I would have varying levels of porosity occasionally, I couldn't pin down why I started trial packing it made the dentures better. I started looking into acrylic densities. Then I switched to ivobase.

M

monica_bunta

Reaction score
When I came into dentures from C+B I hadn't done them since school I was sent to a denture mill and a two week crash course in dentures they didn't trial pack. When I first got back I didn't trial pack either. If there was enough acrylic to ooze out the mold was filled sufficiently. I would have varying levels of porosity occasionally, I couldn't pin down why I started trial packing it made the dentures better. I started looking into acrylic densities. Then I switched to ivobase.
I tried both trial packing and not trial packing. Personally I get better results when I do it but I've seen it done by someone else who got equally good results without trial packing .