Tools, Toys and Gadgets

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
Here is something we all might be able to use - a deskop tripod for $119.95!
Kirk Enterprises : Mini Table Top Tripod
awww.kirkphoto.com_pages_graphics_TThead.jpg

ISAP member Jay Miller (a noted aviation photographer) wrote this about it:
"It’s small, it’s reasonably light weight, and it’s very well built. The legs are locked in position by the simple twist of a knob at the bottom of the center post. A standard 1/4-20 mounting stud is provided for attaching a small ball head or quick release clamp.
I had a spare mini Gitzo ball head with a threaded adapter when the Kirk mini tripod arrived, so I was able to attach it and go right to work. It functioned perfectly, giving me just the right amount of height for the type of low-angle photos I like to shoot. I can also attach remote flash units when required, and suffice it to say the tripod is strong enough to handle overly heavy loads of up to 100 pounds!
With legs spread, the tripod spans about 10 inches (circumferentially). Distance between the rubber tipped feet is about 8 inches. Height from ground to top of center post is about 4.5 inches. Would estimate weight to be about a half-pound. It is manufactured from aircraft-grade billet aluminum."
awww.kirkphoto.com_pages_graphics_TThead.jpg

Last edited:
JonB

JonB

Reaction score
2 in Quick Release Clamp

I know - i know, I tend to be a gear head and I've grown so used to using these types of things that i forget about how quickly they add up in cost. That said, I can't tell you how much easier my life has been once I bit the bullet and bought a quick release and some plates for my cameras.

Here is one from Kirk, but mine are from RSS. They all do the same thing and are well built - so shop around and look for the best price.

awww.kirkphoto.com_cache_f2fe392fe67c8dcfbfad98a29749423a_266_1_0.jpg
Kirk Enterprises : 2 in Quick Release Clamp

You will also need a plate for the bottom of your camera.
awww.kirkphoto.com_pages_graphics_Camera_Plate.jpg
Kirk Enterprises : Quick Release Camera Plates
awww.kirkphoto.com_cache_f2fe392fe67c8dcfbfad98a29749423a_266_1_0.jpg awww.kirkphoto.com_pages_graphics_Camera_Plate.jpg

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
I was discussing a problem with a fellow professional photographer that we all face from time to time. A client calls up to say the images don't look good, they are too light, too dark, the color is off, or they look "flat". Most of the time this is due to the fact that they are looking at the images on a monitor that hasn't been calibrated properly or doesn't have the resolution or quality to see the image in its best light. Sometimes they are even looking at the images on a HD TV as if that will give them a "better" quality image.
We just roll our eyes and try to explain we use high quality monitors that are designed for image editing and we have taken the time to calibrate them with extreme accuracy.

One highly regarded calibrator is the Spyder 3 Pro.Spyder3Pro - Datacolor - Global Leader in Color Management Solutions
photo_s3pro1_500.jpg

We owe it to ourselves and our clients to have the most accurate color and brightness of our images as we possibly can. Using a calibrator for your monitor is a must.

Last edited:
Top Bottom