Titanium milling machine

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
Well, with gold prices being what it is, we've been looking at titanium milling machines for a while now.

There doesn't seem to be too many options though.

B&D Origin (seems like the best bet)
Datron dynamics (too costly)
Kavo Everest (sounds like it has very poor support)

I'd really like to explore all the options though. anybody have any suggestions?

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Poor Everest,it does get a hard time on here:

Well, with gold prices being what it is, we've been looking at titanium milling machines for a while now.

Kavo Everest (sounds like it has very poor support)

Not sure were you are based but in the UK we have great support, I must sound like a broken record but "I love" my Everest system, It just keeps on going. We are not a big lab but we put a good amount through it every day. Today it has done a 6 unit Zr Br, a 5 unit a 3 unit, two 6unit plastic try in bridges a single Zr unit, a 3i Zr abutment, 2 Ti copings and 2 Ti all on four cases. this is a normal day and like I said it just keeps on going( 6 years now ) and I think the fits are fantastic. If you can pick up a second hand unit you won't look back, If someone sends you an STL scan you can even import it, and then start the design, like I have said in the past not a very closed system and you can even pair the thing up with 3Shape as well, What more could you ask for. It will even send you a text when it has finished milling! still working on it making a good cup of tea though Lol ;)

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I gave up on trying to put together a Haas combo for Titanium.

I'm in the same boat.

The B&D mill has tiny spindle and no way to grease the main rails on main three axis.
Not built to mill metal for very long IMO. Should last for five years, but that's about it.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
If you think finding a mill is a problem, wait until you try and set up any kind of porcelain fused to titanium production!

Have fun with that, and send us a post card.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Mark, I get the strange feeling your not into the whole porcelain to Ti thing..

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Mark worked hard to make Porc-to-Ti....but no good.

Today's GC bonder may have solved that problem.

I think Mark, you should waste another couple Hundred-Grand on this mission!

Scott

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Everybody I've talked to that does Titanium, uses GC and has had great results with it. Now it's my understanding (please feel free to correct me) that you only have 60 seconds to place in the oven to degas once you've sandblasted it (because Titanium oxidizes in the air). So what was being explained to me was that you sandblast only 6 units then quickly place them into the oven to degas. If you don't see any little black circles you're good to go, if you do...sandblast it again. Then opaque from there. I'm not sure it's for 'production' lab per say, as it just has a technique sensitive step. Is Glidewell offering Titanium PFM's?

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
we use GC and have done for over 6 years with no problems, we were told to: sandblast with 50micron sand, steam cean then bench rest ie leave to oxidise on the bench for 5 min then use the GC Ti bonder just doing a very thin wash. After that use B1 opaque again just as a very thin wash to try and kill a bit of the black fired oxide then core as normal. Easy and looks great.

2thmakr

Reaction score
Do you use a porcelain oven dedicated strictly to the titanium pfms? Any oven contamination isssues?

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Do you use a porcelain oven dedicated strictly to the titanium pfms? Any oven contamination isssues?

Never had a problem yet regarding contamination, and we put everything into our furnace, Zr, Ti, Emax, Precious, non/P. Are you concerned about the furnace being contaminated by the Ti or the Ti being contaminated by the furnace:confused: . Any way we have never had a problem and use Ivoclar, pro press and the old commodore II furnaces to do Ti in. Give it a go its really nice to work with.

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
I gave up on trying to put together a Haas combo for Titanium.

I'm in the same boat.

The B&D mill has tiny spindle and no way to grease the main rails on main three axis.
Not built to mill metal for very long IMO. Should last for five years, but that's about it.

is that 5 years at a milling centre running 24/7 or 5 years of light usage at a lab?

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
Not sure were you are based but in the UK we have great support, I must sound like a broken record but "I love" my Everest system, It just keeps on going. We are not a big lab but we put a good amount through it every day. Today it has done a 6 unit Zr Br, a 5 unit a 3 unit, two 6unit plastic try in bridges a single Zr unit, a 3i Zr abutment, 2 Ti copings and 2 Ti all on four cases. this is a normal day and like I said it just keeps on going( 6 years now ) and I think the fits are fantastic. If you can pick up a second hand unit you won't look back, If someone sends you an STL scan you can even import it, and then start the design, like I have said in the past not a very closed system and you can even pair the thing up with 3Shape as well, What more could you ask for. It will even send you a text when it has finished milling! still working on it making a good cup of tea though Lol ;)

oh, yeah... the support issues seems to be only for USA... I imagine it'd be worse for Canada here. Too bad they don't have a stronger presence here.

Had major support issues from Sirona/Patterson, so we're a bit concerned with having good support. It really sucks when the machine goes down with no help around.

2thmakr

Reaction score
k2- Contamination in either direction. Of course I can't remember the article I read to reference it but it made mention to be sure you use a porcelain oven that stays with the titanium only. I think it did have to do with the oxidation/active nature of titanium but unfortunately don't remember more. That seemed like a deal stopper for me as far as initial testing and volume for my small lab but if it isn't the case it is something I'd like to try.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Good stuff K2 and thanks for correcting me. Once B&D (the milling center) get all there titanium machines up and running full bore I'm going to start doing some of these. I currently don't offer any base metals or non-precious currently so this may be the ticket to get those Docs to come over to good side of the force :) I'm curious K2, what are you charging if you don't mind me asking for these?

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the bond strength is on a PFTi? It sounds really interesting.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
iCore mills look very nice for titanium! Great price and much better machine than B&D.

Guess what? (what.) I just bought a 5-axis Kavo Everest mill! Got it for $10k with the scanner! LOL

I'm jumping in my car right now and driving half-way across the country to get it.
Got Cash in my pocket. So excited!! Got wood.

D

dr.khanfer

Reaction score
i think icor doesnt mill ti
i need kavo everest with the same price without scanner for 10 k
congratulation ***

T

TECHARTISAN

Reaction score
Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
You bastard Scott haha you manage to find great deals everywhere, was that the four year old mill?

Last edited:
D

dr.khanfer

Reaction score
sorry teachertisan you are right
whats the price for750i
best regards

Top Bottom