titanium implant help...

magushnik

magushnik

Reaction score
when you wax for titanuim implant abutments, besides the duraLay is there any other material i can use to give the casting a good fit? i'm getting alot of shrinkiage (I WASNT EVEN IN THE POOL!!!!!!) thanks Eli...

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
why not just use regular wax, inlay with a low shrinkage rate? Then cast it.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
why not just use regular wax, inlay with a low shrinkage rate? Then cast it.
Yeah thats what do, use regular wax, but I increase the liquid in the liquid/water mix in my investment by about 1cc or more if necessary. You need increase expansion for crns over implants, otherwise you have to ream out the inside to seat it down all the way.
Esp. if its an implant that the DR preps himself and puts in the mouth and impress'es. Youll bust the die everytime if you dont make the casting a bit on the overexpanded side.
The opposite is true for cast posts.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Yeah thats what do, use regular wax, but I increase the liquid in the liquid/water mix in my investment by about 1cc or more if necessary. You need increase expansion for crns over implants, otherwise you have to ream out the inside to seat it down all the way.
Esp. if its an implant that the DR preps himself and puts in the mouth and impress'es. Youll bust the die everytime if you dont make the casting a bit on the overexpanded side.

EXACTLY!!!

Z

zena

Reaction score
You say "The opposite is true for cast posts" do you mean for the implant abutments or post/cores? So should these have less expansion? What would an example be of your ratio percentages of Liquid:water.. I use a 60% Liquid : 40% water ratio for implant abutments. I agree that the coping on top of implants are better if expanded.
P.S. Al Where have I seen that profile pic..... mmmm AMERICA's MOST WANTED (hopefully you have a sense of humour).

Last edited:
Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
I just wax over the abutments. It's tricky not to get lines because the metal cools the wax so fast. I have seen a wax that was light cureable that might be interesting to use since it would make the coping stable.

S

Stirling Ross

Reaction score
Is titanium magnetic? More specifically, is a surgical titanium implant magnetic?

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BruceQuality

Reaction score
Stirling,

Titanium is not magnetic.

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
Stirling,

Let me get this right, your casting titanium?

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
Is titanium magnetic? More specifically, is a surgical titanium implant magnetic?

Tail Coats

Titanium is Paramagnetic. This is a form of magnetism which occurs only in the presence of an externally applied magnetic field. Paramagnetic materials are attracted to magnetic fields, hence have a relative magnetic permeability greater than one (or, equivalently, a positive magnetic susceptibility). However, unlike ferromagnetic which are also attracted to magnetic fields, paramagnets do not retain any magnetization in the absence of an externally applied magnetic field.

Pure titanium metal is mildy paramagnetic, +150.0x10^6 cgs units. It causes substantial MRI artifacts. Titanium metal is commonly contaminated with trace iron. It is much less magnetic than common steels, down to non-magnetic stainless alloys.

L

labdude

Reaction score
Stirling is selling clothes......
You ever work in a lab Stirling??? You ever been in a lab Stirling???

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
I use a couple coats of die spacer over the modified abutment, wax it with my normal wax and cast it with the rest. If it's alittle tight on the abutment you can rubber wheel the shiny spots on the abutment until it seats. Easier than reaming. Dont forget to run an inverted cone bur around the inside tip of the coping. That's aways a catch point. If it's a skinny stone die then expand the casting for sure!

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
I have never had the pleasure of casting titanium and actually I really do not care to, equipment is too expensive, hell a burn out oven is around 50 grand alone. However with that said I have talked to guys who do cast and the big trick is investing and burning out...... For a great fit.

C

crivasCDT

Reaction score
when you wax for titanuim implant abutments, besides the duraLay is there any other material i can use to give the casting a good fit? i'm getting alot of shrinkiage (I WASNT EVEN IN THE POOL!!!!!!) thanks Eli...

Pikuplast Modeling Resin from Bredent is an excellent alternative, it
stacks easy, grinds nice (w/o distorting),extremely accurate, burns clean, homogenous with waxes and is available in 5 transparent colors.

XPdent - Bredent Pi-ku-plast HP 36

B

BillyB

Reaction score
Hello

I invest all of my implants in their own ring. I adjust investment expansion to achieve the perfect fit based on the length, platform, brand, style, etc. I keep notes on the exact expansion for each type. Aside from removing a micro nodule or two under the scope, I don't ream implant castings at all. I use Microstar HS.

I usually reenforce the die w/a metal pin for direct impressions of implants w/o using the analog (stone reproduced implants).

Cheers
Bill

B

BillyB

Reaction score
Pikuplast Modeling Resin from Bredent is an excellent alternative, it
stacks easy, grinds nice (w/o distorting),extremely accurate, burns clean, homogenous with waxes and is available in 5 transparent colors.

XPdent - Bredent Pi-ku-plast HP 36
Hello crivas,

Can the Pikuplast Modeling Resin from Bredent be burned out using a fast burnout technique (inserting the ring into a hot oven) without any investment breakdowns? Some of the modeling resins I have used in the past have given me some issues with this.

Thanks.
Billy

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
To go back to your question about cast post and core- they should have no expansion because they fit INTO a prepared space not OVER it. Y'know, like an inlay......

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
How do you apply it? Like duralay? Is it a powder and liquid.

Yes its an extremely fine grain and accurate pattern resin. We use it for secondary casting on milled survey crowns.

We apply it utilizing the dry powder technique.

C

crivasCDT

Reaction score
Hello crivas,

Can the Pikuplast Modeling Resin from Bredent be burned out using a fast burnout technique (inserting the ring into a hot oven) without any investment breakdowns? Some of the modeling resins I have used in the past have given me some issues with this.

Thanks.
Billy

Hi! Billy,

I've used rapid fire burnout cycles (with Pikuplast) on single implant copings and up to 3 - 4 unit implant bridges with consistently good results and minimal investment degradation. For larger patterns, I stick to conventional 2 or 3 stage burnout just to play it safe.