Titanium bar vs Zirconia bar

• Thread starter Brett Hansen CDT
  • Start date
Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I have a friend in Chicago that needs a full mouth reconstruction. I don't have any practical experience with All on Four type cases. What are the benefits of a Zirc bar over a Ti bar? He is getting a fixed prostheses over the bar so I assume it would be thick enough to mask the grey of the titanium bar. Is this correct?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I have a friend in Chicago that needs a full mouth reconstruction. I don't have any practical experience with All on Four type cases. What are the benefits of a Zirc bar over a Ti bar? He is getting a fixed prostheses over the bar so I assume it would be thick enough to mask the grey of the titanium bar. Is this correct?
It should be.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
You mentioned FIXED, so are you referring to a hybrid that is cemented over the top of the bar? This is a pretty rare type of restoration

Most of my "fixed" full arch cases are either Denture teeth and resin to a TI bar or fixed hybrid with solid zirconia. Both of these are DR removable but there are many types of PATIENT removable prosthetics that utilize a "secondary" substructure that mates wit the bar intimately that feel like a fixed case but allow better hygiene as the patient can remove and clean.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I don't have all the info. He is going to a place like Clear Choice. John, I think what you described is what he is being offered. He was wondering if the 5k difference in price for Zir was worth it.

From the info he gave me, he is only getting 4 implants placed. From what I have learned, ideally, you place 6 implants so that if one fails, the prosthesis isnt jeopardized. Is this sound advice?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
If it's ClearChoice Brent than its the first two options I outlined. The fixed hybrid in Zirconia has its own special set of issues but when done correctly they eliminate the maintenance that ALL resin wrapped hybrids will have. Pay now or pay later will be the same.

R

Rod Mayberry

Reaction score
One problem is space opening up between the gum tissue and implant bar. This is easy to correct with arcylic addition on a tradtional acrylic wrapped bar, but no so much with Zirconia and trying to bond to it. RSM DDS

Top Bottom