Titainium Grades For Abutment

J

jms804

Reaction score
I have an Astra EV 3.0 implant case. Was thinking of buying the Ti base and bonding an emax sleeve to it. I saw examples of temporary abutments being used for this technique to add more support for the sleeve. Was told the insert is grade 5 titainium and the temporary abutment is grade 4. Is this an issue.
Thanks
Jack

DESS-USA

DESS-USA

Reaction score
Many labs use titanium temp abutments as final abutments for the same situation you are experiencing.

4 is commercially pure, 5 is an alloy, both are strong (many implants are made with grade 4) i would check a few things before moving forward -
1. Is the screw they are providing with the astra ev 3.0 titanium temp abutment a "lab screw" or permanent screw. If so find out what is different about them since they may not be designed for long term use.
2. just to protect yourself - let the doc know what you are using beforehand - get them to sign off on the restoration since if the implant fails will Dentsply/Astra cover it if they claim that the wrong part was used? - I can't answer that question....but others who work with this company might

If you ever need Astra EV 3.6/4.2/4.8 we have ti bases and many parts for this...unfortunately just not for 3.0

J

jms804

Reaction score
Thanks so much. I'm going to check and see which screw comes with the temp abutment.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Quick search on google and everything was referring to Grade 5 Ti.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Many labs use titanium temp abutments as final abutments for the same situation you are experiencing.

4 is commercially pure, 5 is an alloy, both are strong (many implants are made with grade 4) i would check a few things before moving forward -
1. Is the screw they are providing with the astra ev 3.0 titanium temp abutment a "lab screw" or permanent screw. If so find out what is different about them since they may not be designed for long term use.
2. just to protect yourself - let the doc know what you are using beforehand - get them to sign off on the restoration since if the implant fails will Dentsply/Astra cover it if they claim that the wrong part was used? - I can't answer that question....but others who work with this company might

If you ever need Astra EV 3.6/4.2/4.8 we have ti bases and many parts for this...unfortunately just not for 3.0

Thanks, I noticed that too. Used to be CP 1 to 4.
When I looked at another company material label, the element composition includes Al and V now - is this the same
Ti-6Al-4V alloy we are familiar with, do you know or just something below that?
I believe the Alloy is alot harder and stronger but not sure about this Grade 5 Titanium
LCM

DESS-USA

DESS-USA

Reaction score
Grades 1-4 are unalloyed and considered commercially pure or "CP". Generally the tensile and yield strength goes up with grade number for these "pure" grades. The difference in their physical properties is primarily due to the quantity of interstitial elements. They are used for corrosion resistance applications where cost, ease of fabrication, and welding are important.

Grade 5 also known as Ti6Al4V, Ti-6Al-4V or Ti 6-4
is the most commonly used alloy. It has a chemical composition of 6% aluminum, 4% vanadium, 0.25% (maximum) iron, 0.2% (maximum) oxygen, and the remainder titanium.[7] It is significantly stronger than commercially pure titanium while having the same stiffness and thermal properties (excluding thermal conductivity, which is about 60% lower in Grade 5 Ti than in CP Ti).[8] Among its many advantages, it is heat treatable. This grade is an excellent combination of strength, corrosion resistance, weld and fabricability.

Top Bottom