The best 3D printer for plastic models

SINTEO Dental

SINTEO Dental

Reaction score
Hello guys,

the question is simple. What is the best machine for printing plastic models? The paramateres are price/quality/capacity.
What is your experience?
I have tried OBJET, ASIGA and DWS and the best one so far in my opinion is DWS, but the problem is price for machine/for model.

Thank you for your comments.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
What do you pan on doing with the models? Many are not accurate for C&B.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
What do you pan on doing with the models? Many are not accurate for C&B.

how accurate does it need to be, before you would consider it worthy ?

SINTEO Dental

SINTEO Dental

Reaction score
It must be applicable as a plaster model replacement. So I mean 20 microns?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
plaster models arent that accurate.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
plaster models arent that accurate.

They're not that inaccurate either. Been using them for years with little trouble.
Printed/milled models for anything over 3 units...not me.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
I think 20-25 microns is about right. However this is an over simplification of measuring accuracy of a model. Some areas, like margins need a very high level of accuracy. This level of accuracy is likely not going to be achievable throughout the build.

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
If it means anything, the only printer that 3shape has validated and approved of is the 3D Systems Model Printer 3000/3500, and they tried them all.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
I don't believe any low cost printer will be accurate enough for C&B. Printing models with 25 micron accuracy is no easy task.
b

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
That looks really interesting. I can see myself grabbing one of these in the future. Especially, when the price is under $3000.Are you still thinking about getting the Makerbot?

i have designs of my own. soon i will be employing the services of at least one coder to help me realize a project in 3dprinting that will also redefine 3d projection.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I don't believe any low cost printer will be accurate enough for C&B. Printing models with 25 micron accuracy is no easy task.
b

so in order to have acceptable accuracy to print margins you necessarily spend big dollars? i've got a golden bridge to sell you. i can assure you its a real bridge.

why must you spend so much money on "high end" printers ? if there is even such a thing. show me a printer capable of less than 20 microns less than 10 microns... by anyone anywhere, in general, regardless of price. i'll show you how you are spending a lot of money unnecessarily.

i'm dying to see this egregiously powerful superprinter.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
i've got a golden bridge to sell you. i can assure you its a real bridge.

why must you spend so much money on "high end" printers ? if there is even such a thing. show me a printer capable of less than 20 microns less than 10 microns... by anyone anywhere, in general, regardless of price. i'll show you how you are spending a lot of money unnecessarily.

i'm dying to see this egregiously powerful superprinter.
Sorry, I don't believe I claimed to have seen a printer with accuracy of 10 or even 20 microns. Nor, did I tell you to "spend so much money on high end printers". What you do with your money and business is totally up to you.
Quite simply, if you think your going to fabricate C&B on models from printers that have 100+ micron error, good luck.
I also wish you luck with the golden bridge!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
b

Sorry, I don't believe I claimed to have seen a printer with accuracy of 10 or even 20 microns. Nor, did I tell you to "spend so much money on high end printers". What you do with your money and business is totally up to you.
Quite simply, if you think your going to fabricate C&B on models from printers that have 100+ micron error, good luck.
I also wish you luck with the golden bridge!

you might as well say then, that printing in general is not up to par with your standards for all dental work.

you say you don't believe in Low Cost printers, and then tell me even High Cost printers arent quite what you were saying... i can only react to "I don't believe any [removed] printer will be accurate enough."

throw me a bone here let me know what printer you find accurate enough for dental work. i believe you know a printer that fits your bill. just tell me what it is!

Alistar

Alistar

Reaction score
What system does the 3M c.o.s. use?

I hate these things but they're accurate.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
you might as well say then, that printing in general is not up to par with your standards for all dental work.

you say you don't believe in Low Cost printers, and then tell me even High Cost printers arent quite what you were saying... i can only react to "I don't believe any [removed] printer will be accurate enough."

throw me a bone here let me know what printer you find accurate enough for dental work. i believe you know a printer that fits your bill. just tell me what it is!
Sorry if I have misled you here. I believe the current state of printing technology does not provide inexpensive printers with adequite accuracy for crown and bridge. I may be a little out of line here (sorry) as i have not tested all of the inexpensive printers available. We have looked at several printers that manufacturers have claimed to be adequitely accurate for our indications. We have not been able to confirm this through our test results. In fact many of these printers have routine inaccuracy of over 100microns. The only printer that we have tested that will work within normal acceptabe tolerances (not necessarily just up to my standards) is the 3D Systems MP 3500. With this printer we are seeing maximum model inaccuracy of about 25 microns.

T

TECHARTISAN

Reaction score
That looks really interesting. I can see myself grabbing one of these in the future. Especially, when the price is under $3000.Are you still thinking about getting the Makerbot?

300 micron beam diameter....you might be better off sticking with a makerbot (which is useless for EVERYTHING dental) the resolution capabilities are no better.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
300 micron beam diameter....you might be better off sticking with a makerbot (which is useless for EVERYTHING dental) the resolution capabilities are no better.

which printer are you referring to that has a 300 micron beam ?

T

TECHARTISAN

Reaction score
Formlabs "The thinnest wall the form-1 will print is 300 microns." October 3.

In a DLP printer like the b9creator that just wrapped up its kickstart, or envisiontek, the magnification of the projector defines a pixel size so focusing at 100, 50, 20, 10, Ive even seen a .5 micron implementation....finer resolutions come with the tradeoff of smaller build areas due to the total number of mirrors in the dmd chip....larger resolutions come with a certain level of pixelization in x an y.

In contrast, because their printer, Formlabs, uses beam steering it is possible to attain its very smooth surfaces along the path of beam movement. It is possible to keep this sweep resolution high over a much larger area than a DLP based system with no stage translation. However high the sweep resolution, which is determined by the accuracy of the galvos steering the beam this sort of printer is limited in feature size and minimum wall thickness by the diameter of the laser being used. A bit faster, a material with a finer potential z axis resolution is all this technology has over makerbots, reprap, stratasys etc....and that comes at a significant increase in both machine and material pricing.