STL conversion

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
now can 3shapes .dcm file be read by any other view than the 3shape viewer?

Why do you feel the need to convert the DCM into an STL ?? Do you own the 3shape ortho software?? Send whoever needs to viewthe DCM files the 3Shape 3D viewer. It's available to be distributed freely and doesn't require a dongle to run so no need to go through the hassle of converting and e-mailing large STL's.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Why do you feel the need to convert the DCM into an STL ?? Do you own the 3shape ortho software?? Send whoever needs to viewthe DCM files the 3Shape 3D viewer. It's available to be distributed freely and doesn't require a dongle to run so no need to go through the hassle of converting and e-mailing large STL's.

You find DCM is smaller than stl of same design?? How so?
Great that the viewer can show the design, but how are you going to manufacture it? Thus, it often needs to be converted into an stl format.

S

Sune

Reaction score
Flip and turn

Hi

I'm looking for a way to rotate a STL model for X, Y, Z axis, and save the file with the new coordinates.

Example :

I want the model's X axis to become Y, and flip the Z axis. Can it be done freehand?
It would be nice if I could enter the coordinates!

Depending on the program, imported STL file are shown and turned differently.

DCM is 3shape's compressed format - with STL + information.
You can manufacture DCM files using "3Shape CAMbridge" program.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Well, that's one way I guess, if you own it.
We just import dcm into DentalShaper and change into stl to manufacture. Then, run it through Sum3d CAM

I use/abuse my 3d printer software for skewing objects (streching in any direction(s) or to tumble object to give new coordinates. Then save file with new parameters. I'm sure a billion other softwares can do this. Meshlab?
Blender?
We can mirror an object or flip/flop it around etc.

S

Sune

Reaction score
I use/abuse my 3d printer software for skewing objects (streching in any direction(s) or to tumble object to give new coordinates. Then save file with new parameters. We can mirror an object or flip/flop it around etc.

That was exactly what I was looking for!

What 3D printer/software do you use?

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
ROCK ON !!

3D Systems is my favorite.
I've had a Solidscape and Envisiontec as well.

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
Great that the viewer can show the design, but how are you going to manufacture it? Thus, it often needs to be converted into an stl format.

WAY smaller. A single full arch upper scap in the 3Shape ortho software is under 1MB for the DCM. When converted to an STL that same model is almost 10MB. 99% of people using the ortho software are using it to store digital models. If you are the 1% who are doing aligners and you need to print a model then you can convert the model to an STL inside the 3Shape ortho software - no conversion software needed.

D

Dejvis

Reaction score
Encripted files

Hi, ***

Write your e-mail i send you few files encripted for conversion to stl for sum3d CAM.

Best Regards
Deividas

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
OK... brad@*************

That is obviuosly not me, but my employee.

We'll be at work in a few minutes.

Scott

Y

YMS96

Reaction score

If you want to manufacture the DCMs, get 3Shapes CAMbridge. Does all the conversions and automatic placements for you and cost less than Dental Shaper. Plus, if you have a printer, it has a lot of neat features that makes loading the files easier.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Huh?

How are you going to control a Lava mill, or KaVo, or ?? using CAMbridge??

That would be a waste of $$. Buy Sum3D and DentalShaper and then you can now run any mill you want.

That's the real power of it all.

What are you planing ot do with CAMBridge???

Does no good to de-encrypt if you don't have a machine to produce it on/
You mention sprues, then talk about printing???
CAM is not necessary for printing, neither are sprues.

A

arnie16403

Reaction score
Their is also different encryption coming out of 3shape for the abutments if get the Glidwell scan adapters, It is a dcm file but encrypted so that only Glidwell can mill them.
I have sent abutment files out of 3shape to Luigi at CIMsystem and he was not able to translate to an stl file. Has anyone converted dcm abutments to stl.

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
Their is also different encryption coming out of 3shape for the abutments if get the Glidwell scan adapters, It is a dcm file but encrypted so that only Glidwell can mill them.
I have sent abutment files out of 3shape to Luigi at CIMsystem and he was not able to translate to an stl file. Has anyone converted dcm abutments to stl.

Reconstruct the GL abutment kit and enable STL output on a new manufacturer (takes a while),should give ou STL outs.

SINTEO Dental

SINTEO Dental

Reaction score
If you want to manufacture the DCMs, get 3Shapes CAMbridge. Does all the conversions and automatic placements for you and cost less than Dental Shaper. Plus, if you have a printer, it has a lot of neat features that makes loading the files easier.

I use CAMbridge for manufacturing and can accept only .stl or .dcm. Nothing else. The cost for that soft is soooo huge.

D

dental connection

Reaction score
Hi I would like to ask you a private question ***, please contact me asap on following e-mailadres: [email protected]

Kind Regards
Christoph

G

GeneNY

Reaction score
how do you recreate a GL abutment kit?

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
how do you recreate a GL abutment kit?
Create a new order.
the best this to do is create an order with pre prep, ant, prep, wax so you have four import files at a time.
go to C:\3Shape Configuration\DentalSystem\Dental System Control Panel\library\3Shape\Abutments that's where mine are anyway.
import the specific files you need for a fixture. you should have 5 or more for each fixture.
once they have been imported they're decrypted. (super crazy hacking right there)
go to C:\3shape then to your last file you have created on today date. then into the CAD folder. your .dcm files will be there.
then go into control panel and find abutment libraries.
click add on the left hand side and then select those parts you have just exported and load them in the respective sections. If you get lost refer to the systems you already have in your library.
from there click add under "abutment kits" then select all those parts you have just imported once more.
then select your manufacturing material and you should be good to go.
I think it goes without saying but make sure you don't get your parts mixed up or you'll design a messed up abutment.

good luck.

while we are at it can anyone help with a cadoutput.dll for hypermill from open mind or followme! ill start another thread i guess.

Top Bottom