starting to learn..

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions about scanners and software,... more like a poll...

white light or laser? why?

whats the best software available?(in your opinion),Why?
I like 3Shapes but I don't like their scanner..can I just get the software??

suggestions on 3D wax printers?

suggestions on good mills in the NW US?

the more opinions the better, I have a lot to learn and want to make sure I am pointed in the right direction..

thank you

C

charles007

Reaction score
Sounds like your ready to open up a lab....:D If you spend hours reading all the post on cad/cam.. etc you will learn most of the answers your looking for. Also, if it takes months to decide on which system you want to buy, everything changes... SO, you must do alot of research to keep up .
The safe bet, buy the Origin scanner @ 8k if your strapped for cash, or go straight for the best and buy 3shape and your set for the future.
Milling machines changes every 6 months... good luck with that.
Printers.. $$$$$ are a nice luxury

I'm curious, if you open up a lab and offer cad/cam crowns, what are you going to do once you receive a boat load of Bruxzir's... are you going to send them to me :) and give your profits to charity

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
no interest in opening lab ATM, just want to learn so I am not left in the dust.. and charles..sure...

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Disturbed, you can purchase 3shapes software separately but I have no idea how it would work coupled with a different scanner.......like white light;) I guess there is some software from the manufacturer of the scanner that would allow them to communicate?

Actually I think the scanner scans etc and saves the job as a file? Than you import that job into the 3shape software? I am opposite from others on here. I would prefer white light scanner with 3shpe software. Others seem to want it the other way around.

Last edited:
disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
nicely, I agree.. now I need to find out if it is possible..

can anyone here tell me if you can use the solutionix scanner with 3Shapes software? Or do I need to contact 3Shape? Am trying to avoid the salesdogs...

user name

user name

Reaction score
The only experience I have is with 3Shape. I recieved the scanner, got it set up and had a couple weeks to play with it before the trainer showed up. It was simple, easy to understand and got me past any blurry-eyed anxiety so I could focus with the trainer and get my questions down on paper. Im very happy.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
My Origins scanner used a program called Identica to do all the scanning and saved as a project file. Than the project file was imported into Exocad for the rest of the design work. I guess if 3shape can read the project file and import it there should be no problems. I can get a project file from one of the cases I did when I had the scanner and send it to someone using 3shape if they want to test its ability to import it.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
You can buy the 3shape software only...;) I will find out price.

T

tyson91

Reaction score
2011-07-24_00001-001-16-15-14-13-12-11-21-22-23-24-25-26-MergedBarFilename_view_1.png

JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
If your scanning solution will output the preparation as one stl file and the antagonist as another, separate stl file, or you only have the preparation scan, but in stl format, you can use the 3Shape design software.

Top Bottom