Stain/glaze brushes

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I am wondering what are some decent midrange stain/glaze brushes. Thinking a 00 or 000

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
I've got the Harvest Dental Fusion brushs. Their stain and glaze set is nice. fine00-000 stain, wide flat glaze brush. Combination Kolinski and artificial hair.

Before that I used the Renfert Ceramicus 00, 000, and opaque brushes. Full artificial, but looks, acts, and feels like kolinsky and holds lots of liquid.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I've got the Harvest Dental Fusion brushs. Their stain and glaze set is nice. fine00-000 stain, wide flat glaze brush. Combination Kolinski and artificial hair.

Before that I used the Renfert Ceramicus 00, 000, and opaque brushes. Full artificial, but looks, acts, and feels like kolinsky and holds lots of liquid.
Thanks, I am going to have to sign up for some classes in Sarasota been kind of thrust back into the C+B side.
I was looking at the ceramicus brushes glanced at the fusion and probably a bit too expensive for my duties.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Ceramicus are nice brushes. I use a couple of their sizes, 0002 & 0004.
The Renfert Basic brushes may be a good cheaper alternative if you wanted. The 0001 is a nice size.

I use the cheaper coral colored Zahn #1 brush for opaquing and InSync glaze work, as well as the
Ceramicus 0002 for finer detail, which I really like. The 0002 is about the same size as the Zahn #1
I really don't use anything below those numbers, it's like having a brush with 2 hairs coming out of it, maybe depending on the manufacturer?

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Refert Basic? I got these last year and really liked them . Two in a pack for around $13. Easily got 6 months
use from the first one. Very fine tip held up great.
IMG_0446.JPG

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Thanks, I am going to have to sign up for some classes in Sarasota been kind of thrust back into the C+B side.
I was looking at the ceramicus brushes glanced at the fusion and probably a bit too expensive for my duties.

IF you take care of the Ceramicus, they will definitely last you 1-1.5 years. Mine lasted about 4.5 years, but I don't use them daily anymore.

Will have to see how long my Fusion brushes last. But since we sell them now, they were the perfect price for me (but I would have paid for them as well). :)

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Definitely renfert.. no need for the super pricey ones though, those are for divas. Ceramicus is a great all around brush, I use a 00 for glazing everything. The clear handle ones are nice too, forget the name, they are weightier for tapping/vibrating.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
I am only a CDT not a DTG I am good with the use of a common mans brush. No need for a peasant to wield Excalibur.

Ah got a garden hoe!!!....

JK
Just go by your local Hobby Lobby. I found a few that I tried and like.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I am good with the use of a common mans brush.

While I get the drift, I beg to differ. The right brush can make a world of difference! It doesn't has to be the most expensive one, but it is worth investing in the right tools. Try different styles, like synthetic vs natural. Right there you have a huge difference in the way you use your tool. Keep in mind, we make money with them! It isn't just our hobby...

For layering, I found the Lay art line from Renfert more consistent in quality than the Smile line brand. Before that (a long time ago...),I used to buy the ones from stores like Hobby Lobby etc.

As for glazing and staining; a mix of Renfert (Takanishi and lay art) and smile line...

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
A high end brush isn't going to turn a novice into an Al.....
Al could do a build up with a popcicle stick and it would look better than average.
Any quality brush designed for the purpose is going to work for most people. The Renfert Ceramicus brushes work fine for me.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
A high end brush isn't going to turn a novice into an Al.....
Al could do a build up with a popcicle stick and it would look better than average.
Any quality brush designed for the purpose is going to work for most people. The Renfert Ceramicus brushes work fine for me.

This guy gets it. I am not buying the Ferrari for my first car. When I am proficient I will upgrade if need be.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
This guy gets it. I am not buying the Ferrari for my first car. When I am proficient I will upgrade if need be.

Agreed, no need to buy a Ferrari, but don't go out and buy a Yugo either. It will only disappoint you and make it more difficult to get quality results. You want something that after two crowns does not flair out and become unusable. 10 brushes at $3 each is still $30, the price of a decent stain brush. In fact the Ceramicus on uncle hank's site is only $37.79 for the stain set (00 &000 if I remember correctly). And I (or Ivoclar) don't make a dime off that.

upload_2017-7-28_9-41-20.png

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
@JK

Take a look at these @ HL. Zoom in to see brand and model. These Yugos will still get you there within the speed limit.

Sure you can get the branded "dental" brushes... and pay a premium while at it. After 35 yrs I've been there done that. Some live up to their reputation then some don't. It all boils down to preference and feel. It's like golf clubs I tested... I could not get comfortable with Callaway... Visually the head was too big and the offset was another... I just could not get comfortable... Hence lacked confidence. You really could not miss with it, but it was not for me.
Settled for Titlist... Smaller head... Smaller margin of error but I felt comfortable over it...and it gave me confidence. I now play Mizuno blades with xstiff shaft .. Even smaller head and smaller margin of error. Mi**** and you know it... Your elbows and wrist let you know.... But hit it on the sweetspot ... you can feel the ball compress on the face..... Pure joy.
What does this have to do with brushes... Probably nothing. But like golf clubs, appreance, feedback from the head, grip and shaft let's you know. For me the flexibility of the bristles is my barometer.

Disclaimer :
Just because I play blades does not make me a good golfer.... It just gives me confidence..... To play bad!

Top group used for glazing...
Middle... Old Renfert for comparison
Bottom three.. Black and two yellows are used for opaques. Hope this helps.

Enjoy

IMG_20170728_103619.jpg

C

charles007

Reaction score
Smile Line #000 clear handle/ kolinsky, replacements brushes in 2 pk
Renfert lay:art brush called Color.... natural hair, not numbered,,, 2 pcs set.

Even though I like small thin brushes like #0, # 000, #1 brushes, the size of the lay:art "Color" brush,
(aprox #1 size) for me seems to brush on stains more evenly across the crown.
Thin brushes like #000 tend to leave streaks of stain. Not talking about puddling stains.
Yet to try Harvest Dental brushes.. Dontknow