Sprue Guage

PGguy

PGguy

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

What size of sprue is your favorite/best for e-max?

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
I use 10 ga for everything except for heavy bridges I use 8ga.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_sp1.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_sp2.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_sp1.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_sp2.jpg

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Ivoclar recommends, 3 mm dia sprue.

10 ga wax sprues are 2.5 mm

8 ga wax sprues are 3.5 mm

8 ga are huge to sprue with. I hate to use them unless it is a really large crown. I have never had any problem using 10 ga. or 2.5 mm even on normal sized bridges. But when I use the 10 ga sprues on bridges I have been spruing the pontic if I use 8 ga I dont sprue the pontic.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_sp1_1.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_sp2_1.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_sp3.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_sp1_1.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_sp2_1.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_sp3.jpg

Last edited:
Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
That is impressive seeing all those crowns on one press.

Who knew you could add buttons to these things. I tried once awhile ago with leech and dillons pressables only to have it break off.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I agree, I just had a few of my techs come in here so I could show them these picture. They are all snake bit as we have had several large ring investments fail lately. We use Formula one for everything but lately having some issues with the larger rings with lots of glass. We are doing everything by the book, measuring everything patterns perfectly placed perfect sprue angels you get my drift. I am not having any issues with the investment for small rings or any metal ceramic or cast gold restoration. I have tried to rule out a bad batch of liquid/investment but having it work with everything else is confusing. It might just be a fluke but I think I will order a box of Ivoclars slow investment on Monday and test it out again.

Al you still only using Ivoclars slow investment.? What size ring are you using these days? 200gram or are you doing 300's

Do you use the Invex liquid or are you grinding the small reaction layer off?

Has ingot dollars spent monthly exceeded alloy for you? This last month was the first month we did more all ceramic restoration than metal/ceramics. Sadly with the spike in alloy prices my alloy bill was about the same.

Have a great weekend,

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
I agree, I just had a few of my techs come in here so I could show them these picture. They are all snake bit as we have had several large ring investments fail lately. We use Formula one for everything but lately having some issues with the larger rings with lots of glass. We are doing everything by the book, measuring everything patterns perfectly placed perfect sprue angels you get my drift. I am not having any issues with the investment for small rings or any metal ceramic or cast gold restoration. I have tried to rule out a bad batch of liquid/investment but having it work with everything else is confusing. It might just be a fluke but I think I will order a box of Ivoclars slow investment on Monday and test it out again.

Al you still only using Ivoclars slow investment.? What size ring are you using these days? 200gram or are you doing 300's

Do you use the Invex liquid or are you grinding the small reaction layer off?

Has ingot dollars spent monthly exceeded alloy for you? This last month was the first month we did more all ceramic restoration than metal/ceramics. Sadly with the spike in alloy prices my alloy bill was about the same.

Have a great weekend,

Yes I use the slow vest. 10f per min to 600 hold 30 min, 10f to 1575 hold, then start pressing. Its about a 4.5 hour burnout process.

I never heard of a 300 gram ring. I use mostly 100 and a few times 200.
I weigh the patterns and go buy that.

For the big rings I use either 1 large ingot or 2 small.
You really burn up your money when you press only one unit per ingot.

Travis I never have reused old buttons. I wouldnt trust them.
Last month I did about %60 all ceram %40 pfm.

I do the invex for 30 min because it will bring out reaction layer that you dont think is there.
Then I sand blast with 50 micron al at 40 psi, I blast at an angle so the sand hits the frames at a glancing angle around the margins. It comes off like butter.

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
I mean the button on the back of the crowns.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Oh, the little handle.
Yeah, but you need to cut a notch in your hemostats. It will break if you clip onto it.