Solder Joint Corrosion question

S

SkullFire

Reaction score
Every once in a while, I get a case sent back to me where the solder joint would be rusted, or corroded. Most recently, I got a case sent back to me where the patient was using Efferdent as their cleaner. I have a few questions to ask...

1. Do other dental cleaners similar to Efferdent cause corrosion? Do you choose to avoid them altogether if possible and go with more traditional methods?

2. What do you instruct the doctor's to have their patient's retainers cleaned with? I read that using toothpaste with cold water and a toothbrush works well, and I know that mouthwash, hot water and other similar "stronger" effects can cause issues with the retainer.

I know that my solder is not the issue, as I've used this for a very long while, and I rarely get these types of case returns (ones that involve rust of some sort),but any answers and help would be appreciated.

I found this link that helped show that Efferdent can cause such a problem: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6133889

Last edited:
A

adamb4321

Reaction score
I think most denture cleaners are a mild form of bleach, I guess this could cause corrosion in the solder joint