Showin off my model work.

• Thread starter Marcusthegladiator CDT
  • Start date
Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
The only thing I didn't do was buff the stone on a lathe and smother it with floor wax to a sheen.
Most of our cases are mounted on full metal articulates and they all look like this.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Next time I build and mount a large case ill go step by step with pics so maybe some folks who aren't familiar with model work can take something from it and improve.
I myself am always seeking suggestions and seeking tips and tricks...
image.jpg image.jpg

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Clean and repeatable modelwork is by far the most telling thing when I look at other labs work.

You work looks awesome, if I was going to make one suggestion is just the height of the dies in the base. Even with awesome indexing and key ways I think the taller the die the more ap they are to splay.

Secondly if the models are shorter there is more room for plaster on the mounting plates which is always safer when you index them and you have to knock them off.

I like your keyway to lift dies I will show that to my plaster techs.

Thanks for sharing your work.

Oh BTW what is your choice of pins.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
I know my dies are too tall. I have to stop being afraid of trimming a weaker model and just bring them down. I almost always do when I know I am building a bridge or splinting but in these cases I left them tall. When I trim them down and I have a shallow ridge in the arch somewhere, it always gets broke. But your definitely right about shortening them. The reason we always use FMA is cause I always have a facebow to transfer, so sometimes I barely have enough room to plaster. Another reason to keep the trim shorter. The key ways on the front are actually perfect for your finger, no tools needed. I forget the name of the pins at the moment but they have plastic maybe even Teflon sleeves. I don't like them much but it's what we use. If I had my way we would add the additional pin that sets in the base itself. Thanks for your input John, I'll try and keep things shorter most definitely.